SMU - To be sanctioned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
    I'm taking this part of the article to mean the school is losing 3 scholarships per year for 3 years (3X3=9), correct?
    "The basketball team also will lose nine scholarships over the next three years, although it was two below the limit this past season, so it can count those toward the nine. SMU also was placed on three years' probation."
    That is how I understood it as well.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Spare me with all the talk on Twitter of "Poor student athletes. It's not their fault. They shouldn't be punished." If I was Nic Moore, I wouldn't blame the NCAA. I would first be mad at myself for trusting Larry Brown and then would be pissed at Brown for reverting to his old ways.

Seriously, he should be in Larry Brown's office right now, starting a fist fight. Also, since this is his fifth year of school, I wonder if he has his degree. If so, he should quit the team right now and go make some money overseas.
      78-65

Comment

According to the ESPN article about Brown's latest misadventure:

In 2014, the NCAA revised a rule, ensuring coaches have more accountability for what goes on in their programs and can no longer say that had no clue what had happened.

"An institution's head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all institutional staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach," the rule states. "An institution's head coach shall promote an atmosphere of compliance within his or her program and shall monitor the activities of all institutional staff members involved with the program who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach."

Hello, Roy? Are you there, Coach Williams?

Comment

Everybody deserves a second chance, but this is the third time SMU's Larry Brown has gotten into trouble. He shouldn't be allowed on a college basketball sideline anymore.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            Does this mean Jankovich is toast too? Or that he will now take over?

I mean, the MVC could sure use him back again :)
            No thank you.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
              No thank you.
              You prefer Muller?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                You prefer Muller?
                I prefer neither. However I personally believe Jankovich is nearly as slimy as his current boss.

Comment

Go Dickie V go.

Comment

So Semi Ojeleye can transfer to Wichita now without penalty?

Comment

I can see why SMU wanted to take a shot with Larry Brown. With nasty championships in both the NBA and NCAA, it would have been a high-risk, high-reward gamble. Since their program was completely worthless before he joined, they said, "Let's take a shot, sign him and beg him not to eff it up." Well the rewards started coming, but the risk just ultimately wasn't worth it.

They got off lucky. He cheated, lied about it, and got caught.

SMU can't complain about their situation one bit, and they deserve no sympathy. I understand their decision to take a somewhat desperate risk to get their program cranking with a guy that has won it all in both the pro ranks and elite amateur ranks though.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Anybody on this board remember when Dave Bliss was the coach at SMU? I sure do.....seems like he had a few NCAA issues while he was there as well, except they were hushed up (because SMU's football program had received the death penalty). Larry Brown wasn't the first cheater SMU hired to run their basketball program and he won't be the last.

Comment

I sometimes feel a little sorry for SMU because you know the University of Texas does everything within their power to keep the Ponies in their proper place.

Comment

I sometimes feel a little sorry for SMU because you know the University of Texas does everything within their power to keep the Ponies in their proper place.
                            Sounds familiar...

I sometimes feel a little sorry for WSU because you know the University of Kansas does everything within their power to keep the Shockers in their proper place.
                            Ah. That's it.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Amusing catch, shock.

I wonder how a state school like Texas keeps a private school like SMU in its place? At least with The Flagship and WSU there's a common board of regents to make the argument plausible. But SMU is in a wealthy part of a wealthy city and has a big money donor base many schools would envy.

Comment

Sometimes I feel a little sorry for Missouri State because you know the University of Missouri does everything within their power to keep the Bears in their proper place.

I don't really. Just kidding.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X