No announcement yet.

KU's Cliff Alexander May Have Eligibility Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is he "out" for the tournament because there was a ruling, or is he out because they still don't have clarity?

I'm assuming it's the second one, but it's pretty obvious there are real issues because why else would KU go to such great lengths to make sure wins don't get vacated? It sounds to me like there is a better chance that he is hosed than that he can come back and that's why they are willing to let him sit like this. They probably hope somehow he gets cleared, but they are pretty well aware he won't once the ruling hits.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
      Is he "out" for the tournament because there was a ruling, or is he out because they still don't have clarity?

I'm assuming it's the second one, but it's pretty obvious there are real issues because why else would KU go to such great lengths to make sure wins don't get vacated? It sounds to me like there is a better chance that he is hosed than that he can come back and that's why they are willing to let him sit like this. They probably hope somehow he gets cleared, but they are pretty well aware he won't once the ruling hits.
      No ruling yet.
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Was there ever a doubt? Wasn't it not challenged that his mom took a loan out against his future earnings, which is 100% against NCAA regs, or am I missing something?
        Not only that, but there was a UCC filing in connection with it, which is an official record. That is probably at least one of the delays in the case. Based on my past experience (assisting in fraud investigations), the investigator would compile the evidence (the investigator probably has paralegal or some other training in preserving the chain of evidence) and present it to an attorney, who would determine what rules were violated and how they were violated.

I don't live in Kansas and don't pretend to know all the ins and outs but it appears as if they need to be filed with the secretary of state and they can be filed online:

In your neighboring state to the south (Oklahoma) the UCC filings must be made with the County Clerk, Oklahoma County.

Which means they are an 'official' government document.

Apparently, the NCAA requested a copy of the UCC filing.

I asked (but no one answered) if the requirements for custody of evidence would apply here. The reason I asked the question is that I'm thinking that the NCAA has to comply with rules of evidence, especially if they, as they could in Alexander's case, terminate his amateur status. If they don't comply with the rules of evidence, any action could be challenged in court.

I think he's pretty much dead to Self now. I'm almost certain that they can't hide this or sweep it under the rug (or under Bill's bald head) because of the UCC filing. An official government filing that documents the existence of a loan, as well as who funded it, would be a pretty big hill to get over. Especially when the people who funded the loan have probably already talked to the NCAA about what the loan was for and how it occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
          Not only that, but there was a UCC filing in connection with it, which is an official record. That is probably at least one of the delays in the case. Based on my past experience (assisting in fraud investigations), the investigator would compile the evidence (the investigator probably has paralegal or some other training in preserving the chain of evidence) and present it to an attorney, who would determine what rules were violated and how they were violated.

I don't live in Kansas and don't pretend to know all the ins and outs but it appears as if they need to be filed with the secretary of state and they can be filed online:

In your neighboring state to the south (Oklahoma) the UCC filings must be made with the County Clerk, Oklahoma County.

Which means they are an 'official' government document.

Apparently, the NCAA requested a copy of the UCC filing.

I asked (but no one answered) if the requirements for custody of evidence would apply here. The reason I asked the question is that I'm thinking that the NCAA has to comply with rules of evidence, especially if they, as they could in Alexander's case, terminate his amateur status. If they don't comply with the rules of evidence, any action could be challenged in court.

I think he's pretty much dead to Self now. I'm almost certain that they can't hide this or sweep it under the rug (or under Bill's bald head) because of the UCC filing. An official government filing that documents the existence of a loan, as well as who funded it, would be a pretty big hill to get over. Especially when the people who funded the loan have probably already talked to the NCAA about what the loan was for and how it occurred.
          Yes, but nothing will happen to KU. The sense of privelege and entitlement that exists "at that level" totally flies in the face of so-called amateur athletics and fair play...

Mr. Alexander, on the other hand, will be changing his name to: Offa Cliff Alexander..
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
            Yes, but nothing will happen to KU. The sense of privelege and entitlement that exists "at that level" totally flies in the face of so-called amateur athletics and fair play...

Mr. Alexander, on the other hand, will be changing his name to: Offa Cliff Alexander..
            Yep. WSU baseball losses games over a violation, but I will be shocked if KU is held to the same standard, even though both violations had the same level of impact on game integrity/competitiveness.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
            X