Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Flaming Burning Stinking & Predictable Disaster that is Creighton Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Fixed it.

Although I don't see how the unfortunate conference realignment has anything to do with "the rising costs of scholarships". Did the BE make CU raise their tuition in order to join their elite league?
    The only thing the BE has done to hurt Creighton's bottom line is the travel expense increase, which should have been more than handled by the FS1 charity donation. Sounds like the current fund drive is nothing more than CU inferring they don't currently bring in enough revenue - via current avenues - to remain relevant, without saying as much specifically.

CU, from an athletics standpoint, doesn't have nearly the volume of green as the drunk trustafarians would like you to believe. In spite of the nearly 70% arena seating advantage, and all the supposed money CU alums have, their SASO equivalent still only brings in roughly the same amount as WSU's SASO. (I sourced those numbers and posted them on here in the past 12 or 18 months, but I'm not going to do it again right now.) Additionally, CU's overall AD budget still trails WSU by a fairly large margin. The most current data, via the DOE's Equity in Athletics site, shows over a $4M gap. Their overall AD budget stil slots them in at barely above MVC average. They are probably downright pathetic compared to the majority of the BE.

I've always maintained that CU athletics are a mirage, and I will remain of that opinion.

Comment

• The revelation that CU is hard up for money piqued my curiosity as to how they stack up to their BE conference mates in overall athletic department spending. The picture is not good, and reveals that CU is a weak sister in their shiny, new, bigger pond.

Most recent AD budget numbers (revenues) from the DOE's Equity in Athletics site (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/):

St Johns - $37.7M
      Villanova - $34.9M
      Georgetown - $34.5M
      Marquette - $29.7M
      Providence - $26.0M
      DePaul - $25.0M
      Seton Hall - $21.7M
      Creighton - $18.3M
      Butler - $17.6M
      Xavier - $16.6M

...and if you were wondering, WSU - $22.7M

Do you need any more proof of the severe dilution the BE underwent during their shakeup than the fact that the 3 new replacement members all have what amounts to mid-level MVC AD budgets? CU, BU, and XU are the dude living in the interest-only mortgaged home, driving leased cars, and paying his electric bill with a CC. Again... mirage.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        The revelation that CU is hard up for money piqued my curiosity as to how they stack up to their BE conference mates in overall athletic department spending. The picture is not good, and reveals that CU is a weak sister in their shiny, new, bigger pond.

Most recent AD budget numbers (revenues) from the DOE's Equity in Athletics site (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/):

St Johns - $37.7M
        Villanova - $34.9M
        Georgetown - $34.5M
        Marquette - $29.7M
        Providence - $26.0M
        DePaul - $25.0M
        Seton Hall - $21.7M
        Creighton - $18.3M
        Butler - $17.6M
        Xavier - $16.6M

...and if you were wondering, WSU - $22.7M

Do you need any more proof of the severe dilution the BE underwent during their shakeup than the fact that the 3 new replacement members all have what amounts to mid-level MVC AD budgets? CU, BU, and XU are the dude living in the interest-only mortgaged home, driving leased cars, and paying his electric bill with a CC. Again... mirage.
        It's interesting. Now go grab the same figures for the schools that left the Big East. I bet they were literally ALL at the upper end.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
          It's interesting. Now go grab the same figures for the schools that left the Big East. I bet they were literally ALL at the upper end.
          It is interesting.

Sorry, I don't have time to get the old BE schools' data, but I would bet you are correct by a large margin. It is easy to get the info from the source link I posted.

Comment

• Butler and Xavier seem to do alright with the smallest budgets.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              It is interesting.

Sorry, I don't have time to get the old BE schools' data, but I would bet you are correct by a large margin. It is easy to get the info from the source link I posted.
              Right. I'm just saying...

Thats why it's the mid major east now...

Comment

• Syracuse -87.6 M
                UCON - 71.2 M
                Pitt - 61.1 M
                Rutgers - 70.1 M
                Louisville - 89.4 M
                Last edited by SB Shock; February 14, 2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Syracuse -87.6 M
                  UCON - 71.2 M
                  Pitt - 61.1 M
                  Rutgers - 70.1 M
                  Louisville - 89.4 M
                  That is even worse than I thought. That means the combined three additions don't even equal one of the teams that left.

Comment

That is even worse than I thought. That means the combined three additions don't even equal one of the teams that left.
                    That's really misleading. Football is pretty expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      Deleted by author?
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• With creightons win today, they are... still last in the big east

Comment

With creightons win today, they are... still last in the big east
                          Bahahaha. Every win brings them closer to still being last in the BIG EAST.

Comment

• Irrelevance.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Butler and Xavier seem to do alright with the smallest budgets.
                              And DePaul isn't exactly getting its $25 million's worth, I'd say.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                And DePaul isn't exactly getting its $25 million's worth, I'd say.
                                I have a feeling that just being in Chicago is expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X