No announcement yet.

Academic fraud at UNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams may be able to use Walden to cover his own ass, but Walden does nothing to save UNC from an institutional controls problem. Walden really complicates a defense against an institutional controls allegation. There's cooperation between a university employee and an athletic department employee to enroll athletes in sham classes. That leaves both the university and the athletic department negligent in their duties to ensure students are taking real classes, and apparently cooperating to get athletes into those classes.

There are Congressmen investigating now, and how many Congressmen do you think there are who might dislike UNC? Congress can pull out their anti-trust hammer, which would get the NCAA's attention. That could trigger a P5 pullout from the NCAA, but would they do that or would they throw UNC under the bus?

When probably 60 or so P5 teams take one step up the BB ladder if UNC is chastised severely, I don't think the P5 would come to their defense by withdrawing from the NCAA - and getting their own anti-trust investigation working.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Maybe the chick doing the grading was just using Harvard/MIT's automatic grading software? I mean Harvard can't be wrong, can they?

LMAO!

We just keep closing in on Idiocracy.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Maybe the chick doing the grading was just using Harvard/MIT's automatic grading software? I mean Harvard can't be wrong, can they?

LMAO!

I have to say I think UNC's method is a much simpler and less expensive solution.

Comment

Fraudulently awarding degrees from a state institution to individuals who received that degree for free through scholarships.... seems like a huge issue to me regardless if it was athletics or not. IMO people should go to jail for this.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            Fraudulently awarding degrees from a state institution to individuals who received that degree for free through scholarships.... seems like a huge issue to me regardless if it was athletics or not. IMO people should go to jail for this.
            And for a coach to say he was unaware for that many years is either a lie or lack of control of one's program by turning a deaf ear, just not being on top of your program, or hiring the wrong people around you all of which make you responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              And for a coach to say he was unaware for that many years is either a lie or lack of control of one's program by turning a deaf ear, just not being on top of your program, or hiring the wrong people around you all of which make you responsible.
              I am having a very difficult time believing that everyone of any importance in the UNC athletic department and for that matter in the UNC academic administration did not at have at least an inkling of what was going on and at a minimum simply made the choice to try to maintain plausible deniability. Any academic counselor to the athletic department could have, should have and probably did know something was amiss either actually or intuitively.

There may be only a handful of people directly implicated in the fraud but there are multitudes of academic and athletic department employees that, in effect, became enablers if for no other reason they decided to look the other way not to mention the 3,100 and counting students who participated. Do you think all of those 3,000+ students never mentioned to a soul what was going on. When I was in College we sure talked a lot about which were the toughest courses and professors and which were the less demanding professors. I have to believe that the number of academic and athletic administrators, academic counselors and students that new about this in some way shape or form was quite numerous indeed.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 31, 2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                Jail is extreme, but consider this: If somebody received a degree by taking more than, say, two or three of these classes -- well the department presiding over that person's field of study should lose its accreditation for at least 3 years. For example if the person graduated with a degree in English, then that department should lose its accreditation for not upholding a proper academic standard.

That'd hit a university right where it counts. Nothing would be more embarrassing than having multiple colleges of a university lose their accreditation. "What would you like to study?" "Engineering? Okay, but I have to disclose that our program isn't accredited." "Sports Administration? Uh that one's not accredited either. But we have a great Mathematics department!"

Comment

Jail is extreme, but consider this: If somebody received a degree by taking more than, say, two or three of these classes -- well the department presiding over that person's field of study should lose its accreditation for at least 3 years. For example if the person graduated with a degree in English, then that department should lose its accreditation for not upholding a proper academic standard.

That'd hit a university right where it counts. Nothing would be more embarrassing than having multiple colleges of a university lose their accreditation. "What would you like to study?" "Engineering? Okay, but I have to disclose that our program isn't accredited." "Sports Administration? Uh that one's not accredited either. But we have a great Mathematics department!"
                  Right on brother.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Ouchie.

Comment

Comment

UNC = diploma mill
                        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

This really is a great pic. The more I look at it, the more I chuckle.

Originally posted by UKbball View Post
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            This really is a great pic. The more I look at it, the more I chuckle.
                            Except it is a little outdated. Here is a more recent photo of Deputy Dawg:

Comment

LMAO!

Why not just let the computer write the essay for you so you get an A and then give it to you turn in.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                Why not just let the computer write the essay for you so you get an A and then give it to you turn in.
                                Because that would be academic fraud. BahahaahaHAHAHAHhahah. But seriously, I think UNC's computer science department is working on that technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X