No announcement yet.

Academic fraud at UNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death penalty? It won't happen, of course. The NCAA doesn't have the stomach for it. There are TV contracts to fulfill, arenas to sell out. It got there, almost, with Penn State. Then the association took most of the penalties back.

What was more outrageous? The original penalties or the conclusion it might be a good PR move to assert the school had cleaned itself up a mere two years later?
    I suppose that it's possible that if the NCAA comes down too hard on UNC it might accelerate a P-5 break away from the NCAA. Which, if that were to happen, will pretty much tell you what the P-5 conference schools really think about academic intregrity.

Comment

And we got 2 years because Ozell Jones' HS included his Phy Ed grades in his GPA.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        And we got 2 years because Ozell Jones' HS included his Phy Ed grades in his GPA.
        the NCAA is impotent when it comes to the P5 as the P5 are nothing more than semi-pro teams. The UNC matter and NCAA response will validate my statement.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          What would be a more severe punishment a total shutdown of their athletic program for 5 years or cutting their scholarships across the board by 50% for 5 years which would probably result in their teams finishing consistently in last place for 5 years? The latter may actually be more painful for UNC supporters. At what point does something like this become a criminal proceeding, if ever?

Either way UNC, which I have thought would be one job 3G would look very seriously at, is probably no longer very high on his list at least for the forseeable future and pending on what the NCAA does.
          Never fear! There's a US Congressman on the case! Now we can all sleep better.

www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/us/unc-academic-fraud-investigation/index.html

(CNN) -- A U.S. congressman is questioning whether the NCAA failed to hold the University of North Carolina accountable during a 2012 academic fraud investigation and is demanding answers from NCAA brass.
          If he doesn't get them, he'll call for congressional hearings and subpoena NCAA President Mark Emmert, Rep. Tony Cardenas told CNN.

I thought I'd read somewhere (ShockerNet) that UNC is HC3G's dream job. Maybe not.

Hey, what if UNC decided to clean house, fire Ole Roy and all of his minions, and bring in HC3G to put a shine back on the apple.:black_eyed:
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

The whole thing is a complete sham by UNC. Complete fraud. And the sad thing is they're getting away with it. I wonder why the other P5 schools are keeping quiet about this? My guess is that UNC is not the only P5 school committing this fraud. I guarantee you if this happened at a non-P5 school the place would have been completely shut down.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

How does the school keep it's academic accreditations? How does the board of regents for North Carolina not hold UNC's administration responsible? To me they are more at fault and an embarrassment to the public college system in North Carolina than anything to do with the Athletic Department.

Comment

why so much hate? i got my backaloriette at unc and its' very unique.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In the Wainstein report Roy's #1 man and trusted friend he brought with him from Kansas knew about the fraud and couldn't remember if he told Roy or not. Roy's public statements have changed from knowing what classes his kids take, to only being the basketball coach, to not knowing at all, to worrying about clustering in AFAM (10) players on his 2005 team NC, Roy didn't want clustering (9) in 2009 NC were communications majors. :angel: Pack Pride, the Dookies and reporters are still pushing for a truly independent investigation. UNC hired Wainstein at near 1000 per hr and another 700 hr for his staff. His investigation was only AFAM. If you noticed they always said "former federal prosecutor" while true, his expertise is "White collar crime defense" now. As a Charlotte reporter noted, he got to the bottom of AFAM....just not the top. Dean Smith started this, and the rest used it including Roy.
                  This doesn't even address the other violations, wheels for Heels, benefits, and Roy even let a player he had kicked off the team (Will Graves) live in a $630,000 home Roy owned, to finish and protect the APR and the 96% grad rate. All the while working as an asst. video coordinator. graves was arrested selling marijuana from the home.
                  By rights, they should vacate 18 seasons of wins, including 7 FF and 3 NC.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Poor Roy. This academic fraud scandal has been such a pain for him. In fact, if he were younger he would be getting out of coaching. Feel sorry for him?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...c-fraud-report
                    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; October 26, 2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UKbball View Post

In the Wainstein report Roy's #1 man and trusted friend he brought with him from Kansas knew about the fraud and couldn't remember if he told Roy or not. Roy's public statements have changed from knowing what classes his kids take, to only being the basketball coach, to not knowing at all, to worrying about clustering in AFAM (10) players on his 2005 team NC, so Roy didn't want clustering so (9) in 2009 NC were communications majors. :angel: Pack Pride, the Dookies and reporters are still pushing for a truly independent investigation. UNC hired Wainstein at near 1000 per hr and another 700 hr for his staff. His investigation was only AFAM. If you noticed they always said "former federal prosecutor" while true, his expertise is "White collar crime defense" now. As a Charlotte reporter noted, he got to the bottom of AFAM....just not the top. Dean Smith started this, and the rest used it including Roy.
                      This doesn't even address the other violations, wheels for Heels, benefits, and Roy even let a player he had kicked off the team (Will Graves) live in a $630,000 home Roy owned, to finish and protect the APR and the 96% grad rate. All the while working as an asst. video coordinator. graves was arrested selling marijuana from the home.
                      By rights, they should vacate 18 seasons of wins, including 7 FF and 3 NC.
                      Yeah, and I bet he ran a squeaky clean program at the Kansas University.

Comment

The “paper class scheme,” as Wainstein has described it, was hatched by Deborah Crowder, a former administrator in the AFAM department. She set up hundreds of sham classes that had no professors, graded papers herself and gave out consistently high grades to athletes and non-athletes alike.

The grades for athletes, though, inflated their GPAs and had a hand in keeping them eligible to play. Under Williams, who became UNC's head coach in 2003, men's basketball players accounted for 136 enrollments in the paper classes.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...#storylink=cpy

Comment

@AdamZagoria: I'm not sure how much this UNC scandal has impacted recruiting but it can't be good when SNL is making fun of you on 'Weekend Update.'
                          10/26/2014

Comment

It should be noted that the 131-page report did not directly implicate Williams in any wrongdoing. But Wayne Walden, who came with Williams to North Carolina from Kansas in 2003, was identified as a counselor who steered players into the paper classes.

Williams was asked about Walden late Friday.

He implied he didn't think Walden was fairly categorized in the report, then added: "Wayne Walden is one of the most ethical guys I've ever known in my life. I trust him from the bottom of my soul. ... There's never been anybody more ethical than Wayne Walden."

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              It should be noted that the 131-page report did not directly implicate Williams in any wrongdoing. But Wayne Walden, who came with Williams to North Carolina from Kansas in 2003, was identified as a counselor who steered players into the paper classes.

Williams was asked about Walden late Friday.

He implied he didn't think Walden was fairly categorized in the report, then added: "Wayne Walden is one of the most ethical guys I've ever known in my life. I trust him from the bottom of my soul. ... There's never been anybody more ethical than Wayne Walden."
                              That sounds like the kiss of death.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                                That sounds like the kiss of death.
                                Yep. When I read the article, I thought there is the scapegoat and his name is Wayne Walden.

Comment

Working...
                                X