Texas and Oklahoma SEC aspirations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas and Oklahoma SEC aspirations?

I think I speculated a few years ago about the possibility of one or more leaving the Big 12 minus conference and how it may affect WSU. So if Texas and OU leave for the SEC where does that leave the rest of the smaller 12? Does the remaining members reach out to Houston and Memhis to fill the void? Does the AAC reach out to the smaller 12 and offer membership to them. The smaller 12 would not garner the national exposure as a football conference without TU or OU as members. If they add Houston and Memphis they pretty much stay the same in basketball.If Houston and Memphis leave the AAC that pretty much diminishes the basketball side of the AAC

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    I think I speculated a few years ago about the possibility of one or more leaving the Big 12 minus conference and how it may affect WSU. So if Texas and OU leave for the SEC where does that leave the rest of the smaller 12? Does the remaining members reach out to Houston and Memhis to fill the void? Does the AAC reach out to the smaller 12 and offer membership to them. The smaller 12 would not garner the national exposure as a football conference without TU or OU as members. If they add Houston and Memphis they pretty much stay the same in basketball.If Houston and Memphis leave the AAC that pretty much diminishes the basketball side of the AAC
    I've already seen talks that Tech and TCU I believe had their Presidents fly out to talk to the PAC yesterday. Seen some talk that KU's had flown off to talk with the B1G. If this OU/Texas departure happens, I see the XII dissolving. The PAC will move to 16 along with the B1G. The PAC would likely go after Tech, TCU/Baylor, Okie State and one other if they didn't take both TCU and Baylor. I'm not sure if they have any interest in a MWC school. Nothing jumps out unless they'd want UNLV just because of Vegas. I don't see them taking a New Mexico or Boise. Maybe go after a San Diego State?

The B1G could be interested in KU. National following and basketball power. Also academically acceptable. Who would join with them? I've seen some mention Iowa State, but I don't think Iowa would like that and would the B1G double up in Iowa? Would they take West Virginia?

The ACC could also join in and WVU could be an option there. I haven't thought about all of this in a while so I may be missing some things politically or whatever. This doesn't mean that the AAC would be completely safe. If the ACC is filling spots could they be interested in a Cincinnati? Could the PAC take a Houston?

If the XII doesn't disband, then the AAC could be in trouble from a competitive/power position. You would think Houston would be a first option, but I've heard reports that the other Texas schools don't want to add anymore from Texas. Would Memphis pull enough? Maybe, but I don't think it's as obvious as some others do. Cincinnati would finally give WVU a closer school and many thought they'd be added when WVU was. The Florida twins could be attractive to the remaining XII as FL has value. My guess is they'd only add two to replace Tex/OU. And they could still reach out to a BYU which could make things interesting. If they did that, would they want a second western addition? Who?

The best thing for the AAC would be disolvement of the XII. Whoever is left without a home in the B1G, PAC, SEC would be available and I would think the AAC would be more attractive than the MWC at that point. You're looking at a list of KSU, maybe ISU, maybe one of TCU/Baylor and an outside chance of West Virginia. None of those would be horrible additions for the conference.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Baylor is going to be left in the cold. Nobody wants to deal with their AD and the Southern Baptist Conference.

B1G does not want KU. KU is a massive out of control embarrassment covered up by money. That doesn’t fly in the B1G. They expect institutions to be able to handle their business. ISU would be a better fit there and that’s not happening. KUs best fit is ACC with WVU but they are a geographical outlier so who knows.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

The Big 12 needs to start thinking big or it will dissolve or become irrelevant to the larger conferences.

If they lose Texas and Oklahoma, they should add Nebraska and Missouri back, add Houston, Colorado State, and Air Force, and drop West Virginia. It would bring the conference back to 12 members and keep the geographical footprint in a contiguous group of states in the central part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
          The Big 12 needs to start thinking big or it will dissolve or become irrelevant to the larger conferences.

If they lose Texas and Oklahoma, they should add Nebraska and Missouri back, add Houston, Colorado State, and Air Force, and drop West Virginia. It would bring the conference back to 12 members and keep the geographical footprint in a contiguous group of states in the central part of the country.
          Too late. Big 12 hit the abort button last night. PAC, MWC, AAC, ACC, Sun Belt*, and maybe B1G are all going to have movement.

*KSU has to go somewhere.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

A&M exploring contractual issues with the SEC. sounds like they are looking for a reason to void the contract and leave.

Comment

OkSU President is pissed. They gone too.

Comment

Big 12 reaching out to PAC about a super conference. This is the most likely IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  Big 12 reaching out to PAC about a super conference. This is the most likely IMO.
                  How do the remaining BXII teams benefit PAC? PAC gains nothing, and divides the money they are getting.

If B1G wanted KU and ISU, they would have invited them already. If PAC wanted OKST or Kansas, they would have invited them already.

The ONLY leverage the BXII has is autonomy that AAC doesn’t. Otherwise, AAC is better place for remaining 8.

I still think the level of reorg will come down to if A&M tells SEC to F-off, and goes to B1G or PAC.

Comment

KU reaching out to BiG

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

How do the remaining BXII teams benefit PAC? PAC gains nothing, and divides the money they are getting.

If B1G wanted KU and ISU, they would have invited them already. If PAC wanted OKST or Kansas, they would have invited them already.

The ONLY leverage the BXII has is autonomy that AAC doesn’t. Otherwise, AAC is better place for remaining 8.

I still think the level of reorg will come down to if A&M tells SEC to F-off, and goes to B1G or PAC.
                      Everything I am posting on this subject is a rumor, however there is word in college station that A&M wants out. Can they beat the legislation in TX that share schools need approval from the state before switching conferences? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                        B1G isn’t likely to do anything until they see what the fallout with A&M is.

Comment

Could this end up benefiting the AAC? Maybe Kansas and Iowa State go to the Big Ten. West Virginia to the ACC. Then K-State, OK State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor go AAC?

Comment

More likely that KU goes to the BEast.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                              More likely that KU goes to the BEast.
                              ku a large public school with football, to the big East? A league of small private schools with basketballs only? Is my dropping football?

Comment

Working...
                              X