No announcement yet.

It's This Bad For KU Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if they'll do a follow-up article and say how the whole thing came to light. It says in the article that both parties had signed the agreement to keep things quiet in exchange for the payment. Did the check bounce? :)
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

What I read and from what I heard, lawyers (specifically from KU) weren't involved, and if so, there are going to be a variety of issues.

Also, paying the kid a stipend as it's being laid out in the article, is a MASSIVE violation and literally NOTHING could be a stronger case for lack of institutional control.

The NCAA is pretty much balless at this point, but if ever there was a simple case for the death penalty, then bend over Babyjay. Totally out of control up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
        I wonder if they'll do a follow-up article and say how the whole thing came to light. It says in the article that both parties had signed the agreement to keep things quiet in exchange for the payment. Did the check bounce? :)
        Just because a contract is written up doesn't make it enforceable. I'm guessing the players family had a lawyer review and tell them that KU has no ability to enforce this.

Pretty much any scenario where KU tried to enforce the contract for a breach of contract requires KU to publicly admit that they made a hush money payment

Comment

It's things like this that make me not miss having football at WSU. Yes, KU royally screwed up, but player behavior like this comes with the football territory. And coaches are under such pressure to win, cover-ups are inevitable.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a pantywaist, aren’t all football teams fraught with issues? My high school had an issue with shampoo bottle sodomy, kids being pinned against lockers and getting genitals rubbed in their faces, and kids shoving other kids faces into ammonia that had been poured onto the floor. Freshmen better have belts with heavy buckles and chunks of pipe in their bags. Administration looked the other way until the sodomy was taken to the news, and then the kid that tattled got talked to by coaches. I looked the other day and one of the kids who was involved is now a HS teacher and coach in the district, hired by the same administration that looked the other way.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Nm
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                At the risk of sounding like a pantywaist, aren’t all football teams fraught with issues? My high school had an issue with shampoo bottle sodomy, kids being pinned against lockers and getting genitals rubbed in their faces, and kids shoving other kids faces into ammonia that had been poured onto the floor. Freshmen better have belts with heavy buckles and chunks of pipe in their bags. Administration looked the other way until the sodomy was taken to the news, and then the kid that tattled got talked to by coaches. I looked the other day and one of the kids who was involved is now a HS teacher and coach in the district, hired by the same administration that looked the other way.
                Good God. That ****'s normal????

I guess I'm a pantywaist because that sounds like completely unacceptable behavior to me. There's good natured pranks all in good fun, then there's inappropriate conduct, then there's a deep and wide line, and then there's the actions you described.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Good God. That ****'s normal????

I guess I'm a pantywaist because that sounds like completely unacceptable behavior to me. There's good natured pranks all in good fun, then there's inappropriate conduct, then there's a deep and wide line, and then there's the actions you described.
                  Hell no, I hope thats not normal, and to clarify, the kid that is now a teacher did not take part in all the activities mentioned. But it seems like football teams with middling talent look the other way when the somewhat talented players they have cross the line.

Comment

Damn!! I remember loading freshmen jock straps with tiger balm (similar to icy hot) and locking a couple in lockers, but I feel like we were FAR on the right side of that deep and wide line.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

We need Ted Lasso’s Neighbor pouring over the Kansas Open Records requests at the “flagship” institution in the state, giving us details.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Hell no, I hope thats not normal, and to clarify, the kid that is now a teacher did not take part in all the activities mentioned. But it seems like football teams with middling talent look the other way when the somewhat talented players they have cross the line.
                        Can’t be much fun overseeing 90-100 football players, when you know the odds are that all are not stellar citizens. So with that in mind, you better set standards and enforce them early, which is the opposite (allegedly) of what the AD staff did.

Comment

At my school, there was never more than making freshmen carry your gear or making them dive into the giant mud pits/puddles after it rained. Things of that nature which I don't really have an issue with. I luckily avoided any of that by having known enough of the right upperclassmen and having good relationships with them and/or their families so my FR year I was never messed with. But I saw friends who ended or began a number of practices covered in mud. Sucked to be them.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It’s stories like this (and others) that make me laugh when I hear KU fans wine/complain/accuse WSU of being “dirty”
                            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              We need Ted Lasso’s Neighbor pouring over the Kansas Open Records requests at the “flagship” institution in the state, giving us details.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                Hadn't checked this thread for awhile and so I missed this post. From what I can tell, WSU is the only one that's transparent when it comes to open records requests. KU and KSU have places on their web sites where they mention how to request one and the fees involved, but they don't have a log showing filled requests like WSU does. There is a web site with some requests from various places in Kansas - https://www.muckrock.com/agency/?jurisdiction=111 - but I think the only ones that are on there are ones that people share on the site.
                                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X