Valley Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny if LUC gets to the final 4 and Big East decides to expand and invites them..........
    To acquire the Chicago TV market!
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the "all-important Chicago TV market," im4.

Anyway, good for Loyola. They got a little lucky -- you can't really count on shots like Ingram's that got them out of the first round, but he hit it, a reminder that end-of-game plays look much better when your guys hit the shots they take; and then they drew #7 and #9 the second weekend (vs., for example, the Shocks five years ago when they had to beat #1 to get to the second weekend and then #2 to get to the Final Four).

But luck only carries you so far unless you capitalize on it, and that they did. Plus, they apparently gave K-State a good solid pounding. So kudos and all the best to them the rest of the way. They got their opportunity, which is all you can ask, and they've run with it, unlike another team we all know and love.

• Evansville hired Matt Graves and Todd Lickliter as assistants. There was a time when either of them would've been great hires for the HC job.

Comment

• Tommy Bell is being replaced, effective immediately, as the AD at Southern Illinois. Hmmm...did he get too big for his britches? Or was it that he wasn't big enough for his britches? Hmmm...

Of local note, Cheney native Jerry Kill, a former football coach at SIU, is taking over in that role.
      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Tommy Bell is being replaced, effective immediately, as the AD at Southern Illinois. Hmmm...did he get too big for his britches? Or was it that he wasn't big enough for his britches? Hmmm...

Of local note, Cheney native Jerry Kill, a former football coach at SIU, is taking over in that role.

This is also all somehow tied into the SalukiNation board being shut down. I can’t even begin to comprehend the whole story let alone do it justice but there is some crazy stuff going down in Carbondale.

Comment

• DUShock
          DUShock commented
          Editing a comment
          So the President fired the AD for trying to fire Hinson & for raising funds to buy out Barry's contract. But, former AD Britches claims he was only doing what he was told to do. Weirdness is the prevailing wind in Carbondale but it seems they love Barry.

• It also seems that the (former) AD was asking for identification of certain posters on the message board. I wish I had gone to their message board in its final days. The appearance that's been created is that the (former) AD took on Barry and the message board and lost.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          It also seems that the (former) AD was asking for identification of certain posters on the message board. I wish I had gone to their message board in its final days. The appearance that's been created is that the (former) AD took on Barry and the message board and lost.
          Not quite. 98% of that message board want(ed) Hinson gone, including the admins. It's a very weird deal, but as always with salukitalk, it was fantastic entertainment.

Comment

• Comment

• This is from May. I just ran across it and didn't see it posted.

SIU's athletic department is $26 mill in debt and hemorrhaging cash at a rate approaching $3 mill a year. Half their athletic budget comes from student fees. Not in the article, but enrollment is way down at SIU and they enrolled less than 1,000 Fr this year (I did not fact check this, multiple sources "looked legitimate".)

Scroll down a ways and there's an interesting graphic. It shows Net Gain/Loss for some MVC schools in 2015-'16 (Including WSU). Not surprising many schools (and fans) and probably Elgin were happy to see WSU leave the conference

https://dailyegyptian.com/79417/more...of-26-million/
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                This should take care of it:

“One of the things we added this year was the sale of beer and wine at athletic events, hoping that we could generate some new revenue and try to close the gap that way,” Scally said.

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                I feel bad for the Ugly Dawgs. There was a time when I hated them with a passion. Some of the hate was born out of fear. Very cocky bunch those kids were when they came to Koch Arena. Manhandled is an understatement.

T

...:cool:

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                SIU was great because they got a bunch tough, nasty warriors who played with so much grit. Darren Brooks, Randall Falker, Jamaal Tatum, cats like that...

Then, because of said success, they seemed to get players who were more talented but didn't have the same toughness. Thus, it went downhill quickly. I remember a early-season tournament when SIU played Duke in 2008ish. I remember thinking, "No way does SIU get away with all the crap they normally do in this game. They'll get called for 7,000 fouls."

• Aargh, I've seen that sub-1000 incoming students number a few places as well. SIU enrollment has been in decline since 1991. They are only half the size now that they were then.

SIUC enrollment drops 12 percent

Enrollment is continuing a steep decline at Southern Illinois University’s Carbondale campus, with nearly 12 percent fewer students this fall semester.

The drop to 12,817 students in 2018 follows enrollment declines of 7.5 percent in 2016 and 9 percent in 2017. The Southern Illinoisan reports the Carbondale enrollment about half of its 1991 peak of 24,869 students.

The university’s Edwardsville campus reported a 3.7 percent enrollment drop to 13,281 students.

The Carbondale campus saw a nearly 20-percent smaller incoming class.
              I've read concerns that their medical programs will get moved to the Edwardsville campus, effectively neutering the Carbondale campus.

Comment

• And to think I always thought that SIU-E was the little brother satellite campus. Those enrollment drops are a massive problem.

Strange days in the SIU system.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was. I headlined the effort of calling SIU, SIU-C back in the day to trigger the locals into feeling all directional-satellite'ish. But make no mistake, back when I led that campaign, SIU-C was the main campus and it wasn't even close.

T

...:cool:

• Gotta love Barry!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  I miss me some Barry!!!

Comment

• Rothstein:

"Sources: The Atlantic 10 and Mountain West have had initial discussions on an annual "challenge" between the two conferences. MVC/MWC Challenge ends after this season."

MVC fans not pleased.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Barry was born to be the Valley Commish.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• rrshock
                        rrshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree. He is very passionate about things. Always has been.

• Mountain West Conference votes in favor of annual challenge with A10 (replacing the MVC-MWC challenge), vote coming soon from the A10

Comment

Working...
                      X