X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    or the Big 12?...................yeah
    Even better.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

• Yellow - 7 big east break aways.
      Green - MVC teams

ncaa_basketball-div-1-avg-attendance-leaders2010_top100_2a.jpg

People who think they know what going to happen beside the seven that broke away have not really thought it through. There would be a huge cost increase in travel across all sports to be going East Coast all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Yellow - 7 big east break aways.
        Green - MVC teams

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542[/ATTACH]

People who think they know what going to happen beside the seven that broke away have not really thought it through. There would be a huge cost increase in travel across all sports to be going East Coast all the time.
        Well, in a 14 team league you'd only have 7 trips to the eastern coast.

Here are the flight costs to go to each city in the MVC, and to each city that will likely be in the New Big East:

Bradley: $410
        Omaha: $705
        Drake: $458
        Evansville: $496
        Illinois State: $563
        Indiana State: $482
        Missouri State: $864
        Northern Iowa: $464
        Southern Illinois: $574

Now, the Catholic 7:

Depaul: $431
        Georgetown: $470
        Marquette: $301
        Providence: $581
        Seton Hall: $441
        St. John's: $441
        Villanova: $465

Possible new members:

Butler: $482
        Dayton: $402
        Duquesne: $374
        Gonzaga: $792
        Saint Louis: $507
        VCU: $376
        Xavier: $547

Now, these are public flights, so the amount of money is going to be higher than those (assuming we continue using chartered planes). But the point is that the cost is not necessarily going to increase expontentially.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
          Well, in a 14 team league you'd only have 7 trips to the eastern coast.

Here are the flight costs to go to each city in the MVC, and to each city that will likely be in the New Big East:

Bradley: $410
          Omaha: $705
          Drake: $458
          Evansville: $496
          Illinois State: $563
          Indiana State: $482
          Missouri State: $864
          Northern Iowa: $464
          Southern Illinois: $574

Now, the Catholic 7:

Depaul: $431
          Georgetown: $470
          Marquette: $301
          Providence: $581
          Seton Hall: $441
          St. John's: $441
          Villanova: $465

Possible new members:

Butler: $482
          Dayton: $402
          Duquesne: $374
          Gonzaga: $792
          Saint Louis: $507
          VCU: $376
          Xavier: $547

Now, these are public flights, so the amount of money is going to be higher than those (assuming we continue using chartered planes). But the point is that the cost is not necessarily going to increase expontentially.
          We don't fly about 90% of our sports to conference venues dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
            If the Valley starts to break up, I'd rather see us in a league with Tulsa, Houston, SMU and Memphis than the MWC.
            Honest question. Why?

Comment

• "If you don't expect too much...then you might not be let down" -- Gin Blossoms
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                We don't fly about 90% of our sports to conference venues dude.
                And? We could in the new Big East. You also have to account for an increased amount of money from a real media deal. The MVC as a conference made $1.4 million last year, and have averaged about $350,000 per school each year. The new conference would be anywhere from $1.5 to $2.5 million per year, more than the entire MVC made in a year.

Comment

And? We could in the new Big East. You also have to account for an increased amount of money from a real media deal. The MVC as a conference made $1.4 million last year, and have averaged about $350,000 per school each year. The new conference would be anywhere from $1.5 to $2.5 million per year, more than the entire MVC made in a year.
                  Don't take this the wrong way, but you have a very annoying posting style. You come across as trying way too hard and are never convincing because of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                    Don't take this the wrong way, but you have a very annoying posting style. You come across as trying way too hard and are never convincing because of it.
                    That's alright, as long as what is mostly true.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we end up in the Big East. We don't have persuasive abilities to get them to pay attention to us. Worst case is that we stay in the MVC as it becomes a truly shitty conference, which would cripple our entire athletic program. We should not be in the league five years from now.

Instead, I think we either go to the MWC after Boise State and SDSU rejoin, or the A-10. But the title of the thread is not "Most Realistic Outcome." I wanted to discuss the 5% chance we end up in a power basketball conference, the thing we have been wishing for years.

Comment

You are not going to have just basketball to think about - you have to add up all the cost for all other sports. And I'm really thinking about CU, as hell will freeze over before WSU gets an invite to the Catholic/Private school conference.

Comment

• I'll say this about a MWC possibility. The front range schools (CSU, WYO, AFA, UNM) are no further than Peoria or Evansville (550-600 miles). Also Wichita State would actually have other schools it is quite similar to in Boise State, Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State. Metro based state schools is what I'm getting at. I realize UNLV and UNM are in metro area but I mean schools that are state schools and represent their metro area, not the state.

If it went to 16 and Tulsa was included that would really work out great.

Also I would add that the MWC would just be too good of a deal for WSU to end up in. I'm sure they will be Valley bound for my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          Honest question. Why?
                          Larger Populations = Larger TV markets = Larger Recruiting Territories.

Being the farthest east wouldn't we be the only team in the Central Time Zone? That would have road games starting at 8-9pm Central and would give us even less of a chance for Eastern Time Zone viewers and media highlights (ESPN).

And then what about Baseball? Again, we want to be the farthest west, not the farthest east.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            You are not going to have just basketball to think about - you have to add up all the cost for all other sports.
                            Assuming we fly every athlete on all of our rosters to every single event outside of Wichita (not counting track, for reasons I'll explain later), we would have ~2000 flight-seats a year. In other words, an increase of $1 million a year would pay for flights for non-revenue sports. We'd get at least that from a Big East media deal alone, not even counting other sources of money.

However, you have to consider the fact that a lot of sports have far less interplay with the conference. The only sports we have where conference affiliation is really important are football, basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball. Other sports go to invitationals or tournaments, not direct competitions against conference members, so we wouldn't have to have any increase for those sports. With this in mind, the real costs (again, assuming we send every athlete on every trip) would be about 1300 flights, a large portion of those coming outside of conference play.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the numbers tell us costs would go up, but we'd be able to pay for it.

Comment

• I think you're biggest problem, CBB fan, is that you overreact to pretty much everything, i.e. the Tennessee game, the conference's future in 5 years that may be different.. (so far, according to the twitter rumor mill, UE's move was proven wrong. Creighton has yet to say anything. Yet, both were reported as facts by a Valley school's media member about 12 hours ago.)
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• All this huffing and puffing about potential costs is silly. Nobody knows what a travel schedule might look like - if they choose to go with a 12 team league, it could be organized so that your individual division is round robin, whereas the games vs the other side are singles. Plus, you can do things like schedule a game at Nova on Thursday and play Seton Hall on Saturday, needing only one trip, and this goes for all sports, not just hoops.

Costs will go up. But I don't think a) a fledgling league is going to take a lesser team simply due to cost structure and b) I don't think any team whose name has been floated will turn down an invite due to potential cost increases.

Comment

Working...
                                X