No announcement yet.

Shockernet Upgrade and Mobile Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else concerned that @Kung Wu: has been in collusion with these spammers in an effort to push through his "agenda" in some kind of illicit Shockernet power grab?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      Is anyone else concerned that @Kung Wu has been in collusion with these spammers in an effort to push through his "agenda" in some kind of illicit Shockernet power grab?
      If by "spammers" you mean "Russians", there's already an investigation underway.

Comment

So you MAY have noticed an outage today. This was caused because we swung over to a new DNS, and that through some, but not all, Cox servers into a frenzy. It will correct itself, but if you are a geek and have a computer that isn't working you can start a command prompt using "Run as Administrator" and then do this at the command line:

ipconfig /flushdns

This is just one of many steps in cutting over to a new upgraded and mobile friendly board, which we are working on behind the scenes.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Just a quick update ...

We are making continued progress to upgrade this beast behind the scenes. There was a nasty struggle to get the system to convert properly, but we have overcome! The new site will use HTTPS which is pretty much a standard requirement of any modern website. It is also responsive, which means one Style should work for all devices. I am creating a new "style" by hand, so it won't be completely unfamiliar. We have a few issues with plugins to solve too. Once the Style is done and a few other things are finished we will put out a plan to cut over to the new version of vb5.

Comment

If you need any help let me know - I’m familiar with board software and programming in general
            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
              If you need any help let me know - I’m familiar with board software and programming in general
              Okay, will do!

Comment

OK we have been going through test after test to the extent we can for the new VBulletin 5 switchover. We will be switching to a new hosting service, new server AND a new version of VBulletin -- so there are a lot of moving parts in this switch. We can't test everything, so we are just trying to make sure the core functionality is working best we can.

1. It will take time for some of your DNS caches to change -- which mean you could be in a situation where you cannot hit Shockernet for up to 24 hours (hopefully it's nowhere near that long, but we can't control Cox' DNS caches [for example]).

2. There WILL be ugly things in the new style (some of which we aren't aware of, some we are but can't figure out how to change it yet).

3. There PROBABLY will be broken things that we aren't aware of. Let us know or we won't know to fix it.

4. You WILL have to relogin -- so if you don't remember your password you may have to reset it.

Once we get swung over and the community can help find all the broken/ugly stuff, there is going to be some AWESOME new functionality, but I want to get it stable before I start adding the cool stuff.

Looks like we are going to be able to save the Thanks/Like stats too.

Comment

Time frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Looks like we are going to be able to save the Thanks/Like stats too.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                      Time frame?
                      Early next week. Possibly begin Monday or Tuesday early morning. Could take two hours to complete (gotta set Shockernet to maintenance mode to stop database activity, export database, copy it to new server, import database, then install new version of vbulletin5 which in and of itself takes 1 hour, run through configuring the new vb5 install, test that stuff is working, make DNS change).

Comment

Should we set up a temporary BBS for those couple of hours? We could go back in time...

Lordy, I was actually first online on something that didn't look a lot different from that. And on dialup.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                          Should we set up a temporary BBS for those couple of hours? We could go back in time...

Lordy, I was actually first online on something that didn't look a lot different from that. And on dialup.
                          I actually ran a BBS back in the day. LOL!

Comment

But what am I supposed to do Monday morning?

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

the TRS-80's back at WJHS!
                                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                                X