No announcement yet.

Shockernet Upgrade 09/06/2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it looks like ?goto=newpost is what it should be. That should automatically take you to the first post you haven't seen (or the end if you have seen them all). If you are seeing different behavior or I am misunderstanding the problem, let me know! If you are seeing different results than described, maybe I just need to rebuild the indexes.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here is an illustration of the issue as it is currently happening.

If I'm on the home page, the little icon to the left of "Wichita State Men's Basketball" is blue, indicating new posts in that forum. To the right it notes that wufan had a post 2 hours ago in "Summer Scrimmage Reports."

However, if I click on "Wichita State Men's Basketball," although "Summer Scrimmage Reports" is the first thread in the list, there is no blue icon next to it and to the right is lists the most recent post as being by jcdshocker 18 hours ago instead of by wufan 2 hours ago. If I click the thread it will take me to jcdshocker's post, but from there I can scroll to subsequent posts in the thread.

Likewise, in "New Topics," "Summer Scrimmage Reports" is listed first, but once again, jcdshocker's post is listed as the most recent and there is no blue icon to the left.

The main problem is that I can't easily tell which threads I have actually have read all the way through because, while the home screen is accurate, the actual threads may have new posts but the icon and most recent post information would make it look like there is nothing in that thread I haven't already seen.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• The Mad Hatter
        The Mad Hatter commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct. It was working fine before the upgrade (although this happened during a past upgrade as well, but I don't remember why/how it was resolved).

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay. I reindexed some stuff, but don't think it will help. I'll spend some more cycles on it tomorrow.

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen it before the upgrade.

This just happened to me. When I went to the "Wichita State Athletics" page, it show the blue bubble on the "Wichita State Men's Basketball" link. I clicked on the link and there were the threads listed below. The first one didn't have the little triangle indicating unread posts, but the next three threads did.

New Schools Named in FBI Investigation --> "Last Post" by kcshocker11, 21 hours ago.
      2019-20 Bracketology ..> "Last Post" by Cdizzle, 1 hour ago
      2019-20 Top 144 Previews Men's Basketball --> "Last Post" by WuShock Reaper, 4 hours ago
      2019-20 schedule? --> "Last Post" by wufan, 5 hours ago

I went to each of the last three threads so they would be 'read.' When I went to the first thread and then went back to the "Wichita State Athletics" page, the "Wichita State Men's Basketball" link still had the blue bubble. It showed the "Last Post" as "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" by 60Shock, less than 1 hour ago.

So something is not syncing up. The "Wichita State Men's Basketball" link is showing the last post as "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" by 60Shock, less than 1 hour ago, while the thread "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" is showing the "Last Post" as being by kcshocker11, 21 hours ago.
      Last edited by 1979Shocker; September 21, 2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had some issues along those lines as well. The blue bubble shows indicates unread posts but nohting new when I open the fourm. I usually hae to click the mark all threads read at the bottom of the forum to clear the bubble indicator.

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
      I went to each of the last three threads so they would be 'read.' When I went to the first thread and then went back to the "Wichita State Athletics" page, the "Wichita State Men's Basketball" link still had the blue bubble. It showed the "Last Post" as "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" by 60Shock, less than 1 hour ago.
      If you click on the little triangle or the link next to it, it's supposed to take you to the first unread post (can you confirm that is working?). When you do that, it assumes you read all the posts on that page, but if there are more posts on the next page, it will not mark THOSE as read. So it doesn't necessarily mean you read the entire thread, just all the posts on the page it takes you to. If that happens to be the last page in the thread, it _should_ mark that entire thread as read. But ... that's where it may be buggy and part of the weirdness you are seeing.

Comment

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that part seems to be working okay. I'll have to double check when there is a next page. There wasn't one this time around, so I couldn't verify.

So something is not syncing up. The "Wichita State Men's Basketball" link is showing the last post as "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" by 60Shock, less than 1 hour ago, while the thread "New Schools Named in FBI Investigation" is showing the "Last Post" as being by kcshocker11, 21 hours ago.
      Yeah, I think you are narrowing into where the weirdness lies. This week I was slammed but I spent some time out on a vbulletin mod writers site trying to wrap my head around why those stats go wonky.

Comment

Ha!! Searching for this problem, I found a thread on their support site on this issue and the solution -- and the original post was started by me. LMAO Anyway I will try and get a fix back in this week.

Comment

• 1979Shocker
          1979Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks.

I put in the possible fix last night. Let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If you click on the little triangle or the link next to it, it's supposed to take you to the first unread post (can you confirm that is working?). When you do that, it assumes you read all the posts on that page, but if there are more posts on the next page, it will not mark THOSE as read. So it doesn't necessarily mean you read the entire thread, just all the posts on the page it takes you to. If that happens to be the last page in the thread, it _should_ mark that entire thread as read. But ... that's where it may be buggy and part of the weirdness you are seeing.
          I clicked on the "2019-20 Happenings around the AAC" thread, which took me to the first unread post. There was a Next Page, so I didn't go to it, but returned to the "Wichita State Men's Basketball" forum. It showed the "2019-20 Happenings around the AAC" thread as having no unread posts. So that part is not working correctly.

Comment

Has something changed? When I use the Shockernet Dark style, the icon that is put in front of threads that have a new post, is all black. It's been like this for the past two days.
            Last edited by 1979Shocker; October 2, 2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I'm seeing the same issue as 1979Shocker

I also no longer have the option to 'Comment'. Doesn't work on PC or mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

There was some discussion regarding "Comments" in a couple of places. Kung Wu turned it off about a week ago as a test.

Comment

Has something changed? When I use the Shockernet Dark style, the icon that is put in front of threads that have a new post, is all black. It's been like this for the past two days.
                  Can you paste the URL you are sitting on where you see the black icons? Is this when you click the Forums tab and see the list of forums?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Yeah, I became increasingly frustrated with comments. When a few people start going back and forth on comments, none of the other posters are aware and a lot of good discussion is missed. And it was difficult to quote people that left a comment. So I turned them off and went "old school" for a bit.

Comment

Yeah, I became increasingly frustrated with comments. When a few people start going back and forth on comments, none of the other posters are aware and a lot of good discussion is missed. And it was difficult to quote people that left a comment. So I turned them off and went "old school" for a bit.
                      I would comment a thank you for this decision. But both the comment and thank you options are no longer around. But I didn't like using them either. It's a tortuous morning for me.

Comment

Can you paste the URL you are sitting on where you see the black icons? Is this when you click the Forums tab and see the list of forums?
                        They're on any forum that has new posts. So, for example ,the Wichita State Men's Basketball forum has black icons at the front of any threads with new posts.

Comment

Working...
                        X