X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockernet upgrade Questions, Concerns, Comments

Highest priority
    ---

Get vBulletin 5.3.4 installed, which a couple annoying issues (see below).

Started
    ---
    FIXED [site] There appears to be an encoding (UTF-8?) problem, causing posts to be truncated and special characters to render as garbage. This was a nasty pain in my arse.

POSTPONED [style] Install new style.
    • Installed the new style and it looks good, but is compatible only with version 5.1 of vBulletin so once you switch to it, you cannot switch back to any other style (bug).
    • Sent email to style creator to see if he can fix it.

VERIFIED [general] Default number of posts per page may be set to "all".
    • Verified the default is 15 posts per page in the settings and created a new user to verify that it's working.

FIXED [general] New Topics does not show the Forum title. -- This has been added. vBulletin 5.3.4 may change the format slightly but there was a hack I could use to get this working immediately.

FIXED [general] There are no navigation options at the bottom of a topic.
    • I added breadcrumbs at the bottom of the topics so you can easily get to the top of the forum you are in.

ONGOING [database] Rebuild the Forum indexes for search.
    • Search is fixed but I need to rebuild a few more indexes too.
    • This will be permanently fixed with the new release.

FIXED [site] Need to redirect www.shockernet.net to shockernet.net so users trying to hit https://www.shockernet.net don't get a security error.

FIXED [style] User info/rep is taking up too much real estate in the mobile version (verify on Chrome on iPhone).
    • Removed the Thanks and Likes stats.

FIXED [style] See if we can add page nav buttons at the top similar to page nav buttons at the bottom of each topic.
    • Installed more intuitive navigation control for paging through a topic.

FIXED [style] Can we add a new topics button at the bottom of each page, like the old Shockernet page had?
    • Added bread crumb at the bottom that will take you to new topics.

FIXED [style] Buttons are large and ugly on mobile.
    • This is mostly fixed, but I may have missed some.

NO-CAN-DO [style] There is no first unread post on the navigation bar at the top of each thread.
    • I do not believe I can do anything about this.

FIXED [general] Clicking the link when viewing 'Like' or 'Thanks' notification opens a new tab. Keep it in the same tab.
    • Turned off the Thanks/Like plugin and we are going to roll with the built-in one. Much more reliable and behaves the way we expect it to.

FIXED [database] At least one user's Thanks/Like stats are completely missing/broken/zero.
    • Well, not really fixed, but ... see the comment directly above this one.

ONGOING [site] Address page load times (look into caching and VM settings)
    • There is a bug in the search functionality of the version we are on that can cause the site to bog down. It has been resolved in the next version of vBulletin which we will be installing very soon.
    • I am able to truncate a table every once in a while to get the site responding quickly, so I will keep doing that until the new version is officially released.

FIXED [site] Create a usergroup that ignores the spam checker for regular users
    • Completed. Regular users should not be spam checked any longer.

To Do
    ---

[style] The text to save or discard your drafted messages is very difficult to read.
    [style] Highlight the current page number at the bottom where it gives Previous 1 2 3, etc. Next.

[general] New Topics is not sorting by the newest post first. -- Supposedly fixed in vBulletin 5.3.4, so waiting on that release.

[general] Update Helpful Links per 1979Shocker 's recommendations found here.
    [general] See if there is a setting for "how many threads/topics are displayed on each page in a forum".
    [general] Make/Get better favicons.
    [general] Can we add "Mark This Channel Read" at the top?
    Last edited by Kung Wu; November 30, 2017, 08:49 AM.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Shockernet is back!:yahoo:
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Yeah, a little ugly in spots and a few things missing, but it at least breaths.

Comment

It'll take me a while to get used to it.

Do you think you'll be able to get the go to 1st unread first unread post back? I'm really gonna miss that.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post

Do you think you'll be able to get the go to 1st unread first unread post back? I'm really gonna miss that.
          The "What's New"? Yes, I hope so too, it was the most important feature of Shockernet, IMHO. Working on it now.

Comment

I left the default VB5 Style available because this custom one is hacked and incomplete. The default one is completely unbranded, but should be 100% usable until I can make continued progress on this dark one.

Comment

Ok I believe the "New Topics" is the old "What's New", and that makes me think you are talking about something else.

Were you asking about navigation buttons inside of a thread itself, that lets you jump ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Ok I believe the "New Topics" is the old "What's New", and that makes me think you are talking about something else.

Were you asking about navigation buttons inside of a thread itself, that lets you jump ahead?
                Yes, the button inside the thread that takes you to the 1st post you haven't read. Saves a ton of scrolling.

Comment

Yes, the button inside the thread that takes you to the 1st post you haven't read. Saves a ton of scrolling.
                  THIS!!!

Comment

When you click "New Topics", there is a small blue icon with two down arrows. I _think_ that might be doing what you are looking for. Can you verify?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

When you click "New Topics", there is a small blue icon with two down arrows. I _think_ that might be doing what you are looking for. Can you verify?
                      That's it. Didn't even see it until you mentioned it.

Comment

That's it. Didn't even see it until you mentioned it.
                        Yes, it's super easy to miss. In fact I didn't even know about it until you brought it up and had to go looking for it.

Comment

Am I blind, or where did the mark forums read button go?

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                            Am I blind, or where did the mark forums read button go?
                            Its at the bottom of the page, apparently the forums are now called channels. "Mark Channels Read"

Comment

First unread post is the little blue button (if needed) and is just to the left of any thread title in any channel.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X