No announcement yet.

Insanity on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you might be able to guess from my name, I was a Phi Delt in college. I am now 3 years removed from being an active member, so there are very few actives left that I know. Here are my thoughts on this.

1. House tours are always free (duh), so why even bother putting up a sign. Just walk yourself over to the sorority, introduce yourself and perhaps invite them over for a house tour.
    2. Hanging a "banner" made from a bed sheet and marker is never a good look. Not surprised some holier-than-thou tough guy who probably doesn't like Phi Delt took a picture of it and cried harassment.
    3. Regardless, it just doesn't look very classy. I don't personally think it's grounds for suspension and investigation, but since someone took major offense to it, that's what you have to do.

When you're in a fraternity, you're no longer representing only yourself. You're also representing your organization. So with the stigmas and stereotypes of fraternities along with the sexual harassment and assault that happens on college campuses, you have to be extra careful with your words and actions. These two men had a lapse in judgement, and unfortunately it's blowing up on them.

Comment

Sweet Jesus, what has happened to us?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
        As you might be able to guess from my name, I was a Phi Delt in college. I am now 3 years removed from being an active member, so there are very few actives left that I know. Here are my thoughts on this.

1. House tours are always free (duh), so why even bother putting up a sign. Just walk yourself over to the sorority, introduce yourself and perhaps invite them over for a house tour.
        2. Hanging a "banner" made from a bed sheet and marker is never a good look. Not surprised some holier-than-thou tough guy who probably doesn't like Phi Delt took a picture of it and cried harassment.
        3. Regardless, it just doesn't look very classy. I don't personally think it's grounds for suspension and investigation, but since someone took major offense to it, that's what you have to do.

When you're in a fraternity, you're no longer representing only yourself. You're also representing your organization. So with the stigmas and stereotypes of fraternities along with the sexual harassment and assault that happens on college campuses, you have to be extra careful with your words and actions. These two men had a lapse in judgement, and unfortunately it's blowing up on them.
        I agree with most of this, but want to ask a few questions:

Was the intent to meet women? The actual placement of the sign and the happenings where it is visible are important here.

If the intent was to meet women, is it better or worse to invite them over with advertising, or was it better to approach them directly and invite them over?

If someone is offended, do you REALLY have to suspend and investigate? I would think appropriate judgement by the parties responsible for administering justice would look at this particular instance and move on since the sign was removed basically immediately.

Was the lapse in judgement really on the shoulders of the men that hung the signs, or was it a lack of judgement by those that perpetuate "stigmas and stereotypes of fraternities along with the sexual harassment and assault that happens on college campuses"?
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Was the intent to meet women? The actual placement of the sign and the happenings where it is visible are important here.
          Like I said, I'm removed from the fraternity now so I don't know for sure, but it can easily be assumed that probably yes, it was intended to meet women. Since the sign was facing sorority row during their recruitment week.

If the intent was to meet women, is it better or worse to invite them over with advertising, or was it better to approach them directly and invite them over?
          I think it's always better to walk over and introduce yourself. It's just more gentleman-like.

If someone is offended, do you REALLY have to suspend and investigate? I would think appropriate judgement by the parties responsible for administering justice would look at this particular instance and move on since the sign was removed basically immediately.
          Unless you want more people (both students and administration) coming down your throats about this, whether you think it's a non-issue or not, it's always wise to self-punish yourself and show that you are serious about the issue.

Was the lapse in judgement really on the shoulders of the men that hung the signs, or was it a lack of judgement by those that perpetuate "stigmas and stereotypes of fraternities along with the sexual harassment and assault that happens on college campuses"?
          Probably both. It's really hard to fight those stigmas and stereotypes. Greek life at bigger universities sure don't help. They're a lot worse, and so then people think any "frat house" is a cesspool.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This seems like bullying by WSU administration staff. Of course, if there is more to the story it should, in a general manner, be disseminated to the public to avoid any false perceptions.

WSU won’t discipline students who hung controversial banner
              BY DANIEL SALAZAR
              SEPTEMBER 13, 2017 4:32 PM

Wichita State University will not discipline students who hung a banner from the side of a fraternity house and ignited controversy on social media over the weekend.

A national organization had earlier criticized WSU for its investigation, saying it violated free-speech rights protected by the First Amendment.

The issue related to a banner that briefly hung from the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house on Sept. 8. It offered “free house tours” during Greek recruitment, which some students viewed as encouraging sexual assault and perpetuating rape culture.

WSU spokesman Joe Kleinsasser said the banner, which read “New Members Free House Tours!”, was up briefly before being taken down. An investigation by the university began shortly thereafter.

WSU does not condone sexual harassment in any form,” according to a tweet from Wichita State Student Affairs on Sept. 9. “The inappropriate banner at Phi Delt was addressed (and) sent on for further investigation.”

“The banner triggered uncomfortable feelings, but the banner was protected speech under the First Amendment,” Hall wrote. “WSU Student Affairs doesn’t believe university disciplinary action is appropriate.”

“Any action taken by the fraternity chapter and its members is independent of the university decision,” she added.

The fraternity had announced on its Twitter feed over the weekend that the members involved were suspended and that “further investigation is underway.”

“The recent actions of two members of our chapter in no way align with the values of Phi Delta Theta,” according to the Sept. 9 statement. “We apologize for these actions.”

It was not immediately clear where the fraternity’s investigation stood Wednesday evening.

The Sunflower, WSU’s student newspaper, first reported that the incident had also sparked an investigation under Title IX, which forbids discrimination in education based on gender.

Kleinsasser said late Wednesday the chapter is not facing any charges under WSU’s Title IX policy.

‘Protected expression’

A national organization had urged WSU the day before to drop its investigation.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, or FIRE, wrote in a Sept. 12 letter to university president John Bardo that the investigation threatened freedom of expression.

“WSU’s assertion that the banner constituted sexual harassment and its resulting investigation … violate WSU students’ First Amendment rights, which WSU is legally and morally bound to uphold,” wrote Ari Cohn, the group’s individual rights defense program director.

“We urge WSU to … make clear to the campus community that sexual harassment policies will not be used to punish constitutionally-protected expression,” Cohn wrote.

Cohn’s letter said the First Amendment is binding for universities and colleges like WSU.

“WSU’s belief that the banner amounts to actionable sexual harassment is unsupported by fact or law,” Cohn wrote.

Cohn said the banner’s brief appearance could not have “impacted any student’s ability to fully participate in campus life.” He also said the lack of clearly sexual language meant the banner was not objectively offensive.

“The text is not itself sexually explicit,” Cohn wrote. “At most, it amounts to a crude invitation designed to attract the attention of members of the opposite sex.”

Cohn later told The Eagle he was pleased with the result, but that an investigation had been unnecessary.

“Public announcements of such investigations have a profoundly chilling effect on campus discourse, leaving students uncertain as to what they can say without getting in trouble,” he said. “Administrators should exhibit restraint before launching and announcing disciplinary investigations.”
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                “Public announcements of such investigations have a profoundly chilling effect on campus discourse, leaving students uncertain as to what they can say without getting in trouble,” he said. “Administrators should exhibit restraint before launching and announcing disciplinary investigations.”
                Bingo!

Comment

This seems to be a reasonable conclusion on the matter in my estimation.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Berkely has hung this sign in one of their halls next to where Ben Shapiro is supposed to speak:

Attached Files

Comment

Ben Shapiro is Jewish, and was the #1 target of anti-semiticsm by the Alt-Right in 2016. He did not vote for Trump. Probably not a white supremacist.

The talk occurred last night, and although security cost $600K, the venue held a successful "free" speech event. 9 arrests were made of counter protestors (not certain all 9 were counter protestors) vs the 1000 in attendence at the actual event.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Ben Shapiro is Jewish, and was the #1 target of anti-semiticsm by the Alt-Right in 2016. He did not vote for Trump. Probably not a white supremacist.

The talk occurred last night, and although security cost $600K, the venue held a successful "free" speech event. 9 arrests were made of counter protestors (not certain all 9 were counter protestors) vs the 1000 in attendence at the actual event.
                        I've seen a few videos of Shapiro recently at speaking engagements and panel discussions. He is very critical of BLM, and despite his sound logic, that's probably all it takes to get labeled by the non-thinkers on the left as a white supremacist.

Comment

He's certainly conservative.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Here is some Joe Rogan podcasts Youtube links:

Jordan Peterson
                            https://youtu.be/6G59zsjM2UI w/Bret Weinstein (of the Evergreen College insanity) #1006 Note the early discussion on anyone who disagrees is a Nazi.

https://youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ #958

https://youtu.be/04wyGK6k6HE #877

Ben Shapiro
                            https://youtu.be/UQTfyjhvfH8 #993
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

WSU condemns vandalism of campus sculptures

At least 11 sculptures in Wichita State's nationally known outdoor sculpture collection were discovered vandalized Thursday night and Friday morning, according to the University Police Department and Ulrich Museum of Art. Duct tape was placed over the mouths of women portrayed in the sculptures.

WSU President John Bardo said: "The Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection is a university and community treasure that brings quality, pride and character to the campus. Defacing great works of art is an attack on freedom of speech, artistic expression and the very nature of the university. A university is an environment that must welcome many voices and the discussion of differences, and it also must respect the creativity that is the essence of humanity."

Natasha Stephens, the university's Title IX coordinator, said there are other, more constructive avenues of expression for those who don't feel their voices are heard.

"Our goal is to foster a campus community that is fair and equitable to all in Shocker Nation," she said. "We strive to provide opportunities for individuals to articulate their concerns and to support and empower one another."

Stephens said: "Members of our campus are invited to participate in our TIX Student Alliance. It is a group that works to discuss and resolve issues, find ways to be proactive and provide a mechanism to be heard on issues concerning TIX on our campus."

Contact Stephens (titleix@wichita:.edu or 978-5177) for more information.

Bob Workman, director of the Ulrich Museum, said it's fortunate the vandalism was discovered before the duct tape was exposed to strong sunlight and heat. He said the extent of the damage won't be fully evaluated until conservators arrive in mid-October for their annual visit to maintain the sculptures.

Workman said many of the sculptures were purchased over the past 40 years with money from student fees and private donations. The collection of 76 works is owned by the WSU Foundation and maintained through a designated conservation endowment.

Among the sculptures vandalized were some of the best known and most valuable pieces in the collection, including the Henry Moore piece, "Reclining Figure," in front of Ablah Library and "Tres Mujeres Caminando" (Three Women Walking), featured prominently on the walkway east of Rhatigan Student Center and Grace Memorial Chapel.

The duct-tape vandalism follows an incident earlier in the week when another sculpture was covered with taped posters.

Anyone with knowledge of the vandalism should contact Wichita State University Police, 316-978-3450, or Detective Jeff Rider, 316-978-5525, jeffery.rider@wichita:.edu.
                              That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

I bet I could give you 5-10 names and one of them would know who did it. But I'm just spitballing here.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X