No announcement yet.

Insanity on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But either way, yeah, totally Betsy Devos' fault.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

This is pathetic. I hope they don't punish Phi Delt. In my day, women thought these guys were idiots and didn't give them the time of day. What's changed?
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

We have to be missing something right?

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          I noticed this story over the weekend and couldn't figure out why the banner was offensive. What the heck is wrong with a little humor? I'm tired of this crap and I'm moving to Greece with Cle.
          Does this mean @pinstripers:' "New Sheep Free Barn Tours" sign is also in violation? I got word it was facing the pasture.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I might have it figured out... stay tuned while I complete my research.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Does this mean @pinstripers' "New Sheep Free Barn Tours" sign is also in violation? I got word it was facing the pasture.
              Only if they did it in Manhattan, KS. Where the men are men, the women are scarce, and the sheep are nervous.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

From what I have been able to gather, it is "sexual harassment" because the frat was extending an invitation of "free house tours" to members of the opposite sex. This may be the biggest case of hypersensitive overreach ever if there isn't some other underlying meaning.

In order for this to be considered even remotely offensive you have to first assume this only applied to women (or gay male students). Secondly you would have to assume that just taking a free house tour meant some kind of assault would take place? To me this sign is similar to asking a girl (or guy) in class to stop by your frat house later on for a tour. Is that sexual harassment? Is asking someone to dinner now harassment? What about asking someone for their phone #? OMG! Heaven forbid young men and women at college talk to each other or socialize!!! This is terrible. WSU should immediately segregate all classes by sexual preference to ensure nobody can possibly mistake an innocent question as sexual harassment.
                Last edited by shockfan89_; September 12, 2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                  From what I have been able to gather, it is "sexual harassment" because the frat was extending an invitation of "free house tours" to members of the opposite sex. This may be the biggest case of hypersensitive overreach ever if there isn't some other underlying meaning. In order for this to be considered even remotely offensive you have to first assume this only applied to women.
                  I don't think that's a big leap or anything. The articles said it was on the side of the house facing a sorority doing recruitment.

Secondly you would have to assume that just taking a free house tour meant some kind of assault would take place?
                  Not necessarily. You can have sexual "harassment" or whatever you want to call it without sexual assault. They're two different legal terms for a reason.

To me this sign is similar to asking a girl in class to stop by your frat house later on for a tour. Is that sexual harassment? Is asking someone to dinner now harassment? What about asking someone for their phone #? OMG! Heaven forbid young men and women at college talk to each other or socialize!!!
                  All of those things may or may not be sexual harassment depending on the situation and the facts surrounding them. And it's not a great comparison since each of the scenarios you are depicting involve a one on one type situation as opposed to a general message to the public. But you don't need to go that route to think the case at hand is just silly.

Putting this sign on the side of the building is obviously not anything anyone should get worked up about.

Comment

My research hasn’t been as productive as I anticipated. I’m guessing there’s a ‘smoking gun’. Maybe there were two banners facing sorority row and the first one didn’t last long enough for a photo. I don’t see how anyone in their right mind could be offended with the banner that was shown in the article.

The second banner could have read,

“Are you interested in joining Little Sisters of Pallas? House Tours Today!”

I assume Phi Delta Theta still has a ‘Little Sisters of Pallas’ organization? We’re all aware of recent spelling mistakes on campus and how they can cause an uproar; maybe “Pallas” was misspelled, ‘Phallus’?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      My research hasn’t been as productive as I anticipated. I’m guessing there’s a ‘smoking gun’. Maybe there were two banners facing sorority row and the first one didn’t last long enough for a photo. I don’t see how anyone in their right mind could be offended with the banner that was shown in the article.

The second banner could have read,

“Are you interested in joining Little Sisters of Pallas? House Tours Today!”

I assume Phi Delta Theta still has a ‘Little Sisters of Pallas’ organization? We’re all aware of recent spelling mistakes on campus and how they can cause an uproar; maybe “Pallas” was misspelled, ‘Phallus’?

There was a faux fraternity in the school of music back in my day, and their "auxiliary" organization was known as the "Little Sisters of the Blue Phallus." Of course this faux fraternity was more a drinking club than anything.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        Not necessarily. You can have sexual "harassment" or whatever you want to call it without sexual assault. They're two different legal terms for a reason.
                        My mistake, I used the terms harassment and assault interchangeably. I meant to say you would have to assume sexual harassment would occur on the free tour for there to be anything improper about a sign advertising free tours.

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        All of those things may or may not be sexual harassment depending on the situation and the facts surrounding them. And it's not a great comparison since each of the scenarios you are depicting involve a one on one type situation as opposed to a general message to the public. But you don't need to go that route to think the case at hand is just silly. Putting this sign on the side of the building is obviously not anything anyone should get worked up about.
                        I disagree that any of those could be sexual harassment assuming they are one time occurrences as opposed to repeated behavior. I agree with everything else you said that a sign to the general public can in no way be considered harassment of any individual or group regardless of what direction the sign is facing! Now if the sign read "New Members of Delta Delta Delta - Free House Tours". Then I think you would have some basis for concern, MAYBE. But this fraternity is also recruiting new members during Greek Week just like the sororities the sign was facing! Can we assume all signs and brochures recruiting for sororities are also targeting fraternity members?
                        Last edited by shockfan89_; September 12, 2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

The problem with sexual harassment, in general, is that you have to read the other persons mind to know if you are inviting unwanted attention. I think this sign takes mind reading to a new level.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Is it okay to "hit on" a woman? It depends on context...I have a problem with this line of reasoning.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              Is it okay to "hit on" a woman? It depends on context...I have a problem with this line of reasoning.
                              I may not be understanding what you're saying? It is absolutely okay to talk to a woman with the intent to ask her out or to see if you are interested in asking her out. It is rarely okay to literally "hit" on a woman. So I would say it does depend on the context.

Comment

I am glad my Shocker Son graduated a couple of years ago. He might have asked some girl if she'd like to get a cup of coffee, and he'd be in the slammer.

Comment

Working...
                                X