No announcement yet.

Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're probably right, but it would be nice to get some good in depth work in studying that. I realize good, honest information is all but impossible to come by, especially when you are dealing with an illegal activity. Thank you for your insight.

Comment

It is only a matter of time. It is a plant, not a processed chemical like meth, opium, heroin or cocaine.

As for pain relief Mary J has to be better than opioids.

Had the 12 apostles had a little weed at the Last Supper instead of wine, would we even be having this discussion?

How do the harmful affects compare to alcohol? The CDC wants to recommend that moderate drinking for males is one drink a day. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        It is only a matter of time. It is a plant, not a processed chemical like meth, opium, heroin or cocaine.

Had the 12 apostles had a little weed at the Last Supper instead of wine, would we even be having this discussion?

How do the harmful affects compare to alcohol? The CDC wants to recommend that moderate drinking for males is one drink a day. Good luck!
        Meth isn't plant based, but opium is a pure plant extract and both heroin and cocaine are direct plant derivatives. Gummies, on the other hand, could be considered just as processed as heroin or coccaine.

As far as weed's harmful effects compared to alcohol, there are plenty. Cancer from smoking, depression, hormone changes and more. Also, Marijuana use is also a vehicle of people with underlying psych issues to self medicate- people that should be under direct medical supervision, not at home, with a bong.

All that said, I don't oppose marijuana legalization, I support it for adults, just don't care for half truths and moral equivalents.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Cocaine, opium, and heroin are also plants. Meth is synthetic. None of that matters though.

Marijuana is not even close to as effective as opioids in pain management, and probably has no anesthetic effects at all.

Marijuana is probably less harmful than alcohol.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Cocaine, opium, and heroin are also plants. Meth is synthetic. None of that matters though.

Marijuana is not even close to as effective as opioids in pain management, and probably has no anesthetic effects at all.

Marijuana is probably less harmful than alcohol.
            Yup. The medical Marijuana push is simply a step in legalizing recreational use. If Marijuana truly was medicine, it would be prescribed in doses, not a card giving the cardholder access to whatever strength and volume as desired. That isn't medicine. There are plenty of Colorado MD's that do nothing but issue cards, a nice gig if you can get through school.

That is what all of the arguments are, a step to recreational legalization. Its a bad argument. Marijuana should be legal because adults should have the right to decide if they want to smoke pot. Self determination. End of argument.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              I personally don't. I likely wouldn't be where I am today had I been arrested in the 70's for what I did in HS.
              Much of what you said was regarding the Medical benefits of Marijuana and I haven’t seen anyone disputing that. I also haven’t seen anyone saying that locking up teens is an answer. We also all seem to agree that the Science hasn’t answered the important questions of the harm to the teen who uses between 18 and 25 and if there is actually is anything that can be done about that. It seems to me that we basically all agree.

The only concern regarding what you said that I have is that you compare your “pot smoking” of the 70’s to “pot smoking” teens of today. Marijuana is 5 to 6 times more powerful today than in the 70’s. This is significant for heavy, daily users (which isn’t going to describe most kids.

Additionally, the study that showed an average of an 8 point IQ decline in heavy users under age 25 is significant, and should be a concern of all parents, if the study was well done, and if their kids are heavy or very young users. An average IQ is approximately or close to 100. As you know an 8 point decline places the person at 92. As a comparison, a high school student who has an IQ in the 80-90 range is often classified as a “slow learner”, and therefore very likely, not able to keep up with his/her peers academically. If I was a parent of a heavy user ( which Thank God I wasn’t) this study would be concerning.
              Last edited by Shockm; December 30, 2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

WuDrWu I'm for legal bud, because I like to get high from time to time. I am dubious of most medical claims for marijuana and CBD.

I like to drink Valerian tea when I can't sleep. It helps. It's not proven science, but it works for me and isn't causing any harm.

As far as testing of a legal substance for those on public benefits, why not alcohol, tobacco, and blood sugar, or verifying that people are staying on meds that would allow them to be productive?

I'm more or less in agreement that you shouldn't have to encounter it in public. I wish there were a test for intoxication/impairment.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I would agree, unless you're the Sackler family or connected to Pharma. I'm saying I agree with you because pot is psychologically addictive but not physiologically addictive. Opioids are physiologically addictive, meaning if you become addicted, you are dependent on a steady supply and go through withdrawl. This is what happened to Rush Limbaugh, having his maid (Wilma Cline) getting his prescriptions filled for him. Back in the day, you could start out with a simple injury or medical issue and end up addicted, which is what I suspect happened to him. I'm glad that practice has been (somewhat) addressed.

It's also how Rush lost his hearing and ended up with a Cochlear implant.

P.S. Pot can cause COPD issues, which is why Willie Nelson gave it up a year or two ago, so it's not entirely harmless when you get to a certain age. As I like to say, the older I get, the list of things I CAN do gets shorter and shorter and the list of things I CAN'T do gets longer and longer.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                    WuDrWu I'm for legal bud, because I like to get high from time to time. I am dubious of most medical claims for marijuana and CBD.

I like to drink Valerian tea when I can't sleep. It helps. It's not proven science, but it works for me and isn't causing any harm.

As far as testing of a legal substance for those on public benefits, why not alcohol, tobacco, and blood sugar, or verifying that people are staying on meds that would allow them to be productive?

I'm more or less in agreement that you shouldn't have to encounter it in public. I wish there were a test for intoxication/impairment.
                    I need my knees replaced, I have visits from Arthur occasionally, and I can tell you that high-strength CBD works really well for me. But as you point out, some things work for some people and some things don't.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                      But as you point out, some things work for some people and some things don't.
                      True for prescription meds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                        True for prescription meds as well.
                        If I’m not mistaken saline/sugar pills works in about 8% of patients regardless of the ailment.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I am unofficially jumping into the discussion - out of turn, and long after the party already started. What's new?

I don't like the idea of easy access (not pharmacy controlled) to what is essentially a powerful sedative to many people. If I were the Chinese, I would love the idea of legalizing pot in America.

Responsible people could probably live in a society where all drugs were legal, but how many potheads do you know that are responsible?

Comment

Maybe Judas would have been like, "Jesus, bro, I was gonna sell you out but now I'm feeling really bummed about that let's hit this stick and eat some more lamb." Jesus lives to his '80's and dies peacefully in an olive orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Responsible people could probably live in a society where all drugs were legal, but how many potheads do you know that are responsible?
                              Zero. But I also know zero responsible alcoholics. I know plenty of responsible moderate smokers and drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Read my previous post more carefully. Pot is the only thing we are talking about that is just a plant - not processed. Even if the other drugs are processed from plants, they ain't a plant.

As far as weed's harmful effects compared to alcohol, there are plenty.
                                You didn't mention alcohol's negative effects. I am not playing the moral equivalent rhetorical game.

I haven't smoked pot in 30 years. Please. This is not what you are saying, but the negatives seem less than Mary j than alcohol. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X