Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

In other news, alcohol related emergency room visits increased 70%+ after prohibition was repealed.
    What percent of those folks didn't have money for the visit and were ultimately covered by tax payers?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In other news, alcohol related emergency room visits increased 70%+ after prohibition was repealed.
      What percent of those people were innocent and hurt by a drunk driver?
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What percent of those people were innocent and hurt by a drunk driver?
        According to this link, you are 10-15x more likely to get hit by a drunk driver vs 2x for a stoned driver. Both are bad but I'm not certain the overall impact from marijuana is any worse than alcohol.

https://instituteofliving.org/health...%E2%80%9D%20Dr.
        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You could say the same or similar about alcohol but I’m sure you know that.

The main argument for legalizing marijuana that makes any sense at a macro level is that it was thought it would’ve reduced violence and take some of the power out of the cartels. However has it really?
          I agree with both of your comments.

Alcohol and marijuana have some similarities too, however I’ve not heard about multiple incidents of Wichita Junior High kids getting sick off of alcohol candies. In fact sugar blunts the effects of alcohol, so it would require kids to ingest much more alcohol based candies to get sick. I’m sure it could happen, but kids might get more sick from the fat and sugar of the chocolate than the alcohol.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I've had this discussion with a number of friends and family and I don't think a single one of them is against legalization. None of them have any desire to partake.
            Well I can say the complete opposite. We have had this discussion, especially at work. There is nobody in my immediate family nor anybody at work in my area that are for legalization. Of course we are well educated and understand nothing good comes will come from except increase the destabilization of society.

Comment

According to this link, you are 10-15x more likely to get hit by a drunk driver vs 2x for a stoned driver. Both are bad but I'm not certain the overall impact from marijuana is any worse than alcohol.
              Pot-heads will find away to rationalize, but there is plenty of new data with the recent legalization that showing the harm that is being done. Here is study from Boston University - guess what, pot heads will combine it with alcohol

Researchers from the School of Public Health, the School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, and University of Victoria found that people who died in crashes involving cannabis had 50 percent greater odds of also having alcohol in their system.

Although the proportion of crash deaths involving alcohol has remained relatively constant over the last two decades, the proportion of crash deaths involving other substances, particularly cannabis, has increased, and little attention has been given to the connection between alcohol and cannabis use. Some have proposed that liberalizing cannabis policies could lead to a reduction in alcohol use, as individuals might substitute cannabis for alcohol. However, this study suggests the opposite—that cannabis and alcohol are increasingly being used together when it comes to impaired driving, and that cannabis increases the likelihood of alcohol use in crash deaths.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Well I can say the complete opposite. We have had this discussion, especially at work. There is nobody in my immediate family nor anybody at work in my area that are for legalization. Of course we are well educated and understand nothing good comes will come from except increase the destabilization of society.
                I'm sure only "well educated" folks understand that. You sound a bit snobbish.
                But as stated earlier IDGF about legalization, but I can tell you that I know a couple of people who smoke just before going to bed and no other times. They say it help them get a good night's sleep. I can confirm that from my younger days as well. But maybe I'm not as well educated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I'm sure only "well educated" folks understand that. You sound a bit snobbish.
                  Hey if you want to partake in mind altering drugs that kill brain cells - go for it.

I can confirm that from my younger days as well. But maybe I'm not as well educated.
                  Probably not. But that explains a lot about you.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

1- Hey if you want to partake in mind altering drugs that kill brain cells - go for it.

2- Probably not. But that explains a lot about you.

1- I don't partake .

2- Maybe and maybe not, but that statement further proves your education snobbery.

​​​​​​

Comment

• White House Issues Unprecedented Pardons After FDA Finds Cannabis to Be More Like Tylenol Than Heroin

On Friday, January 20th, the federal government waved the white flag in the war on drugs as it regards the cannabis plant.

President Biden issued presidential pardons to any American or lawful permanent resident who has a conviction of cannabis possession on their record.

At the same time, he ordered the Dept. of Health and Human Services to compile a case for the reclassifying of cannabis from a Schedule 1 drug, such as heroin and cocaine, to a Schedule 3 drug, like testosterone and fortified Tylenol.

Decades of advocacy have created a national picture where 38 states have legalized cannabis for medicinal use, and 24 states, two territories, and D.C. have legalized cannabis for recreational use.

The United States FDA Controlled Substance Staff writes in the HHS report that their agency is recommending the rescheduling of cannabis as it meets all three criteria for doing so, namely a lower potential for abuse compared to Schedule 2 substances, an existing and established medical use, and a lower psycho-physical dependency potential.

“The marijuana withdrawal syndrome appears to be relatively mild compared to the withdrawal syndrome associated with alcohol, which can include more serious symptoms such as agitation, paranoia, seizures, and even death,” writes the FDA, which added that while there are many unproven claims about the medicinal use of cannabis, there is “credible” scientific evidence for its use in reducing the side effects of chemotherapy.

Sweeping changes would take place if such a rescheduling would occur, which will ultimately be decided by the Drug Enforcement Agency.

The already multi-billion dollar cannabis industry would benefit from a much safer banking and tax environment, hundreds of thousands of people, particularly young adults, wouldn’t be turned into criminals by choosing to use a largely harmless substance for recreation, and people—particularly veterans—who live in states where recreational and medicinal cannabis is not available could obtain it safely.
                      This will be interesting to follow and see what comes of it. Erasing possession charges will do wonders for a lot of people who have needlessly been burdened by having that on their records and harming their future potential in regards to jobs and housing and general life.

I'm sure the DEA will push back, which will make things even more interesting. Agencies like that rarely willingly give up any sort of control/power so this will get drawn out more than many would care to see.

A fall Gallup poll showed 70% of Americans believe marijuana should be legal in all forms. Seems about only 30% of SN agrees lol.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• That's because the majority of Shockernet is a lot smarter than the average American.

What does "in all forms" even mean? Weed while driving? Kids at schools? Teachers on their break?

Shockernetters are probably smart enough to at least ask that question before stating something so wildly obtuse as it should be legal "in all forms".

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

What does "in all forms" even mean? Weed while driving? Kids at schools? Teachers on their break?
                          That's just lazy. You know exactly what it means and that's both medical and recreational. Everyone that supports legalization wants it to essentially be treated like alcohol and similar items.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Go ask law enforcement in areas where it's legal. They pull over people all the time who are smoking weed (or just have) while driving, then try to argue that weed is legal.

This is not good for society, period. Any argument against that is disingenuous. I've said many times I don't care what people do in their homes.

BUT, I don't want tax dollars going to support the millions of people that won't be able to function once they get hooked. Zero. I also don't want people collecting handouts getting weed. Drug tests for welfare (including weed). And get rid of the whole medical weed crap. Just legalize it or don't. There's no medical scotch.

But it shouldn't be around kids, or anyone that is around kids. And with as many people that believe that weed is the elixir to everything combined with the huge number that already use, there's no way you are going to keep kids from it when you open the spigot.

And taking away the Fed rules, that's fine, whatever, but I want to AT LEAST have the option to live and vote in a place with like minded people that don't want that **** all over our lives. And if I'm always on the losing side, I guess I can keep moving until I find a spot or buy farmland. So be it, at least that's democracy. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Go ask law enforcement in areas where it's legal. They pull over people all the time who are smoking weed (or just have) while driving, then try to argue that weed is legal.

This is not good for society, period. Any argument against that is disingenuous. I've said many times I don't care what people do in their homes.

All you need to do is look at those states and cities that legalize drug use and the harm it has done. They are now seeing cycles of addiction and homelessness explode.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's just lazy. You know exactly what it means and that's both medical and recreational. Everyone that supports legalization wants it to essentially be treated like alcohol and similar items.
                                That isn't what "in all forms" means.
                                The real meaning has to do with hundreds of types of edibles as well as smoking and vaping or any other method.

Comment

Working...
                                X