No announcement yet.

Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you guys who want to avoid certain parts of Colorado because of potheads hanging around are also staying away from entertainment districts such as Old Town due to the drunks? Catholic weddings a no-go too, right?

I've been to Colorado several times since weed legalization, and I have a couple of sets of friends who have particularly been to Manitou this summer, and I've heard nothing about problems with potheads. I hang out with a conservative crowd too. The biggest negative with weed is the rank smell emanating from those smoking it, to be honest.

Speaking for myself, I'll take lazy, air-headed potheads over belligerent, dangerous, and irresponsible drunks every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Even more so when it comes to personal considerations from behind the wheel or on a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Triticum View Post
      The conclusion that the drug is stored in the brain is unfounded.
      . .
      I may have mis-stated what the doctor/researcher said on this issue. She said that the drug is stored in fat in the body and your brain is made up of fat cells. She was making the point that alcohol and marijuana shouldn't be compared because one disappears quickly where THC can remain in the body for days, or months depending on how much one smokes, and other factors. She didn't come right out and say it but I think she was saying that tasks like driving, or operating heavy machinery, may be more dangerous but we just don't know for sure yet. Comparisons to alcohol which leaves the body much quicker were false equivalents according to her.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        I assume you guys who want to avoid certain parts of Colorado because of potheads hanging around are also staying away from entertainment districts such as Old Town due to the drunks? Catholic weddings a no-go too, right?

I've been to Colorado several times since weed legalization, and I have a couple of sets of friends who have particularly been to Manitou this summer, and I've heard nothing about problems with potheads. I hang out with a conservative crowd too. The biggest negative with weed is the rank smell emanating from those smoking it, to be honest.

Speaking for myself, I'll take lazy, air-headed potheads over belligerent, dangerous, and irresponsible drunks every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Even more so when it comes to personal considerations from behind the wheel or on a motorcycle.
        I don't take my family to Old Town or other entertainment disricts either, such as Chiefs games because there are too many beligerent drunks. I have no problem as an adult with just my wife with Manitou at all. Just making a point that places that may be considered family friendly during the day now, may not be so family friendly after legalization.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Yep, pretty much.

Personal considerations from behind the wheel or on a motorcycle.
          I don't even like to ride after dark. But thanks to some stupid state legislator, I have to ride 10 hours at night with my son so he can get his license before age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Have you seen Reefer Madness? That's scary!
            LOL
            In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Have you seen Reefer Madness? That's scary!
              Is that anything like Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  I watched a 60 minutes piece on marijuana in Colorado. People who study what is happening, are seeing major problems they are still examining the effects on society.
                  Some of what they are finding out is quite alarming. Some, we already knew but less clearly than now, and some things we still don't know enough yet.
                  •a large number of new born babies are born with it in their systems. In babies, the amount is much more than their mothers.
                  •effects of marijuana is much different than alcohol much isn't known such as how much marijuana affects driving.
                  ,•marijuana affects the growing brain, maybe up to 25-30.
                  ,•marijuana is stored in fat and doesn't leave the body when it disappears from the bloodstream (unlike alcohol).
                  •the brain is made up mostly of fat. Therefore the drug is stored in the brain and long term effects are not known. But the brain expert was not a fan.
                  •Organized crime is active in the Colorado drug industry.

This was s just some of what I remember. I would advise for you to watch this prorgram. This experiment sounds scary to me
                  •
                  It's scary because you want it to be and you believe the media horse^^^^.

For instance:

Alcohol is legal, and women drink while pregnant knowing there is an elevated risk of birth defects. Fortunately, because of public service ads, more women abstain today while pregnant. Same for ANY other intoxicant. Colorado could take some of that tax money and run ads with that message.

Next, since no one really knows how marijuana affects drivers, why even mention it? Any assertion made like this without scientific study is clearly bogus. And while we're at it, how about studies on the effects of over-the-counter meds and prescriptions?

Lastly, organized crime is also involved in the gambling business, in spite of the fact that it's heavily regulated, so that one's a red herring.

I could spend the rest of my day picking apart these half truths, but I'm just going to state my comments as follows:
                  "Anyone who blindly accepts what corporate-run media tells them allow themselves to be manipulated by these huge media conglomerates."

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Unfortunately, no. But I DID like all the Harold and Kumar movies.

Comment

Interesting thread. Just some observations from someone living in ground zero:

--From my perspective, legalizing marijuana has had no noticeable affects on the number of sketchy people hanging around in public places. They were there before (not in large numbers), they're there now (not in large numbers), they'll be there in the future (not in in large numbers). I go to Manitou Springs occasionally, and I have never seen a problem there. I've heard stories about how Manitou has always been known as a hippie hangout. Perhaps that is what y'all have seen, I don't know, but I don't see what you're seeing.

--Tax revenue has been in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Legalization, from that perspective, has been worth it.

--During the campaign, business leaders were concerned that legalization would drive companies out of Colorado because of the stigma of legalization and because they felt it would be more difficult to recruit workers to the state. None of this has happened. In fact, several large companies have since moved to the Denver area, and it has become one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It almost seems as if what has happened is the exact opposite of what they feared.

--I don't know if this is true, but I have heard the number of dispensaries here are around 600, more than the number of microbreweries and Starbucks combined. If you're not looking for them, though, you won't find them. I honestly can't tell you where to find one. They're pretty nondescript.

--Smoking in public is not allowed. Except at outdoor concerts, I haven't smelled weed smoke in public. Smokers are smart enough not to light up in restaurants or bars, and surprisingly enough I haven't smelled it on ski slopes, public parks, pedestrian malls, or any other place you'd think it would be prevalent.

--I would recommend legalization to any state considering it. There have been no obvious or credible drawbacks and tax revenues are substantial. Not to mention personal freedom has increased and government intervention in our lives has decreased, and what's not to like about that?

And no, I do not smoke but I did vote in favor of legalization.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

If u smoke dope you can not own a firearm (legally).

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          If u smoke dope you can not own a firearm (legally).
                          That would be the most restrictive gun control law EVER! 13% of US adults say they currently use marijuana. 49% of US adults have used marijuana.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Legalization crushed it at the ballot box last week - the number of states legalizing recreational use doubled and additional states approved medical initiatives (including Arkansas, which was mildly surprising).

Pretty clear trendline and it will only strengthen as more boomers enter the hereafter. More of a question of "when" and not "if" when it comes to legalization at this point IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              That would be the most restrictive gun control law EVER! 13% of US adults say they currently use marijuana. 49% of US adults have used marijuana.
                              Well those who lie on their 4473 (NIC check) form will have committed a felony. But maybe that is one of the goals of pot legalization at the state level - back door gun control.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                                Legalization crushed it at the ballot box last week - the number of states legalizing recreational use doubled and additional states approved medical initiatives (including Arkansas, which was mildly surprising).

Pretty clear trendline and it will only strengthen as more boomers enter the hereafter. More of a question of "when" and not "if" when it comes to legalization at this point IMO.
                                Unfortunately, it is still very clearly an "if." That "if" is not based on state votes or popular opinion, but by the decisions made by Trump and his judicial appointments. No matter what the states do, if the federal government wants to shut it down, it can. Marijuana is still federally illegal, considered a drug with no medical benefits. Obama has had a very hands-off approach to the issue, and if Trump continues this then legalization will continue. But Trump and his picks could just as easily decide to bring the full wrath of the federal government down on the system, prosecuting growers/sellers/etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X