Debate about "safe-places" at KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate about "safe-places" at KU

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/wow-students-scream-swear-at-u-of-kansas-classmates-for-questioning-safe-spaces/
    Livin the dream

Act civilized please. This isn't Facebook.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Act civilized please. This isn't Facebook.
      Welp, I'm glad I missed that conversation.

Comment

If those SJWs get any more of a foothold in this society than they already have, this country is even more screwed that it already is. They are a serious threat to the 1st Amendment. Thought crime - beyond current hate-crime - is just around the corner.

Comment

I have no problem with "safe places" I have 3, one is called "home", one is called "Church" and one is called "confidence" None are paid for by the government. Name-calling and high decibels (I might include swearing) are usually substitutes for content.

Comment

The modern western world, and all its achievements and riches, may eventually fall to the barbaric and uncivilized groups in the Middle East, simply because it cannibalized itself with arguments over pronouns.

Comment

This may sound harsh and be an unpopular opinion, but all these "micro-aggressions" the SJWs complain about are the very things a healthy society does to keep socially destructive elements on the fringe. Shame may not be a good thing most of the time, but it has its place.

Comment

My read is that the SJWs here aren't really interested in social justice, they want power. But they want it simply given.

I recently read an interesting article (or comment with an article) that I unfortunately can't relocate right now. The premise was that if you want to really effect change, almost no matter the situation, you have to "infiltrate" the system itself rather than try and bash it from the outside. If you want to effect change in politics, get your candidate elected, for instance. But this also means that more fringe views get moderated since a large group has a median that everything tends to regress towards. This is of course a bit of an oversimplification and isn't always possible probably, but the intent of the idea really struck me - effect the change from within.

We do need to make sure that equal opportunity is there, but that should just mean that the door is open for you. You have to put the work in yourself to walk through the door and take advantage of the opportunity.

Or, as I said on something else I posted over the weekend to friends on FB, maybe I'm completely wrong about this.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  If those SJWs get any more of a foothold in this society than they already have, this country is even more screwed that it already is. They are a serious threat to the 1st Amendment. Thought crime - beyond current hate-crime - is just around the corner.
                  Just around the corner? I thought we passed that intersection already. Transgender "training" anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    My read is that the SJWs here aren't really interested in social justice, they want power. But they want it simply given.

I recently read an interesting article (or comment with an article) that I unfortunately can't relocate right now. The premise was that if you want to really effect change, almost no matter the situation, you have to "infiltrate" the system itself rather than try and bash it from the outside. If you want to effect change in politics, get your candidate elected, for instance. But this also means that more fringe views get moderated since a large group has a median that everything tends to regress towards. This is of course a bit of an oversimplification and isn't always possible probably, but the intent of the idea really struck me - effect the change from within.

We do need to make sure that equal opportunity is there, but that should just mean that the door is open for you. You have to put the work in yourself to walk through the door and take advantage of the opportunity.

Or, as I said on something else I posted over the weekend to friends on FB, maybe I'm completely wrong about this.
                    To be able to effectively wield power requires leadership. Leadership is not something that can be conferred or given, but rather, must be earned. Effective leadership, by its very meaning, implies that the leader must be a good enough leader to earn the confidence of the people who want to be led. If a leader can't earn the confidence of those they are purporting to lead, then they are a dictator, not a leader.

Comment

A couple great videos from the incomparable Dennis Miller re: free speech.

This second one partly overlaps with the first one.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Trigglypuff - Beaker Edition

Fits perfectly with the ethos and vibe of Lawrence. Why wouldn't you just assume that you are - by default - surrounded by bat-****-crazy nincompoops when you go to KU?

Comment

Heh, now this KU gem is making national news:

KU bars gorillas from jungle-theme decoration due to 'masculine image'
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here's another KU response from a staffer, although the website misrepresents the encounter with the SJW, stating that they over ran the YAF meeting. In actuality they were invited to debate the matter.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8177

Here's another KU response from a staffer, although the website misrepresents the encounter with the SJW, stating that they over ran the YAF meeting. In actuality they were invited to debate the matter.
                              When they are invited to someone else's meeting to debate, and end up shouting down anyone who disagrees with you, I think it's safe to say they "overran" the meeting.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X