• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the indignance?

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
      https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

Please get a less biased news report on this
      Biased doesn't automatically mean incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        Biased doesn't automatically mean incorrect.
        So Royal, do you think CNN is fake news or is it biased? Or are they the same? Or is someone exaggerating to influence your thinking? Or is it all of the above?

I try to be balanced in my thinking. I still read/watch CBS, CNN and so forth. I can tell they are sometimes exaggerating to fit their corporatocracy (or corporate handlers interests). I would put the referenced source in the same vein for the right as the Huffingtonpost is for the left. Something to read and be amused by, while knowing the writer in many instances is exaggerating. In other words, absent a more comprehensive (and less influencing source) it is not to be believed.

noun

noun: bias; plural noun: biases

1. prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
        "there was evidence of bias against foreign applicants"

synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favoritism, unfairness, one-sidedness; More
        bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, leaning, tendency, inclination, predilection, casteism

"he accused the media of bias"

antonyms: impartiality

•a concentration on or interest in one particular area or subject.
        "he worked on a variety of Greek topics, with a discernible bias toward philosophy"

•Statistics
        a systematic distortion of a statistical result due to a factor not allowed for in its derivation.

2. in some sports, such as lawn bowling, the irregular shape given to a ball.

•the oblique course taken by a ball as a result of its irregular shape.

3. Electronics
        a steady voltage, magnetic field, or other factor applied to an electronic system or device to cause it to operate over a predetermined range.

verb

verb: bias; 3rd person present: biases; past tense: biased; past participle: biased; gerund or present participle: biasing

1. cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.
        "readers said the paper was biased toward the conservatives"

synonyms: prejudice, influence, color, sway, weight, predispose; More
        distort, skew, slant

"this may have biased the result"

•prejudiced, partial, partisan, one-sided, blinkered;
        bigoted, intolerant, discriminatory;

distorted, warped, twisted, skewed

"a biased view of the situation"

antonyms: impartial

2.give a bias to.
        "bias the ball"

Comment

Okay, so if I posted an extremely liberal source and said what you said would you jump all over me? Cause you probably would.This place at times at seem like a circle jerk for the right. However, there have been some good discussions that are balanced in the past few days. If we could get a less biased source, it would promote better discussion.
          for the right?

Comment

• It presents a view that most had not seen. Most of it seems to be fact, even if it's from the right point of view.

Comment

• He's right on one point. The free market is already fast at work and the developing world is switching to renewables faster than anyone ever dreamed. The developed world will be slower to adopt as we have legacy infrastructure, but coal and oil are well on their way to backup fuels. Just like there is still use for Kerosene, wood, or charcoal. Inasmuch as the government gave these businesses a push, through incentives, etc., they are now moving forward with their own gravity. It begs the question why flip the bird to the rest of the world on a deal that wouldn't really affect us one way or the other? On the other hand, no amount of leaving this or any other agreement is going to bring back coal jobs.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Wind would work if oil is a couple hundred bucks a barrel. At present, the life of a tower is about 20 years, which is about the time it takes that tower to reach break even, according to the techs who install them.

Comment

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

Please get a less biased news report on this
                  I listen to NPR most days. You will hear that it is moderate from liberals and left from conservatives. The "anchor" interviewed someone that went on and on about what a huge mistake it was and they would never trust Trump. The anchor then set up his own energy guy with this interview statement, lead with the commentary that Trump Mia-quoted studies as per usual, and asked him how badly Trump had handled it. The "expert" replied that the Paris accord was a poor political attempt at acting like you care about the environment. The anchor questioned him about his assertion and then moved on.

Whether or not the ever-changing environment is a man-made/man-fixed activity is irrelevant to the fact that it is a political lightning rod. Not every piece of legislation, or treaty is inherently pro-environment/anti-job or visa versa.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    I listen to NPR most days. You will hear that it is moderate from liberals and left from conservatives. The "anchor" interviewed someone that went on and on about what a huge mistake it was and they would never trust Trump. The anchor then set up his own energy guy with this interview statement, lead with the commentary that Trump Mia-quoted studies as per usual, and asked him how badly Trump had handled it. The "expert" replied that the Paris accord was a poor political attempt at acting like you care about the environment. The anchor questioned him about his assertion and then moved on.

Whether or not the ever-changing environment is a man-made/man-fixed activity is irrelevant to the fact that it is a political lightning rod. Not every piece of legislation, or treaty is inherently pro-environment/anti-job or visa versa.
                    One could certainly argue the Paris accords were ineffective policy that really only paid lip service to addressing climate change, but by that same token what lip service are you paying by withdrawing?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                      So Royal, do you think CNN is fake news or is it biased? Or are they the same? Or is someone exaggerating to influence your thinking? Or is it all of the above?

I try to be balanced in my thinking. I still read/watch CBS, CNN and so forth. I can tell they are sometimes exaggerating to fit their corporatocracy (or corporate handlers interests). I would put the referenced source in the same vein for the right as the Huffingtonpost is for the left. Something to read and be amused by, while knowing the writer in many instances is exaggerating. In other words, absent a more comprehensive (and less influencing source) it is not to be believed.

noun

noun: bias; plural noun: biases

1. prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
                      "there was evidence of bias against foreign applicants"

synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favoritism, unfairness, one-sidedness; More
                      bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, leaning, tendency, inclination, predilection, casteism

"he accused the media of bias"

antonyms: impartiality

•a concentration on or interest in one particular area or subject.
                      "he worked on a variety of Greek topics, with a discernible bias toward philosophy"

•Statistics
                      a systematic distortion of a statistical result due to a factor not allowed for in its derivation.

2. in some sports, such as lawn bowling, the irregular shape given to a ball.

•the oblique course taken by a ball as a result of its irregular shape.

3. Electronics
                      a steady voltage, magnetic field, or other factor applied to an electronic system or device to cause it to operate over a predetermined range.

verb

verb: bias; 3rd person present: biases; past tense: biased; past participle: biased; gerund or present participle: biasing

1. cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.
                      "readers said the paper was biased toward the conservatives"

synonyms: prejudice, influence, color, sway, weight, predispose; More
                      distort, skew, slant

"this may have biased the result"

•prejudiced, partial, partisan, one-sided, blinkered;
                      bigoted, intolerant, discriminatory;

distorted, warped, twisted, skewed

"a biased view of the situation"

antonyms: impartial

2.give a bias to.
                      "bias the ball"

Why so obtuse?

Simplify, simplify, simplify- H. D. Thoreau (not always easy for some, sadly) :beaten:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                        One could certainly argue the Paris accords were ineffective policy that really only paid lip service to addressing climate change, but by that same token what lip service are you paying by withdrawing?
                        Why pay lip service at all? If climate change is the #1 thing between survival/extinction of the human race, then why do something that doesn't address the problem?
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            People are always optimistic on stocks when there is a belief that earnings will rise. People believe earnings will rise when there is the hope of decreased taxes and regulation. It's pretty straight forward.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• This argument that even MIT says it's only going to reduce the temperature less than one degree is just completely misleading. The researchers came out and said Trump misinterpreted their research.

The number one goal is halting warming, so a small decrease in temperature would be huge success. Additionally, it's not like we want to decrease temperatures by an average of 20 degrees or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                                This argument that even MIT says it's only going to reduce the temperature less than one degree is just completely misleading. The researchers came out and said Trump misinterpreted their research.

The number one goal is halting warming, so a small decrease in temperature would be huge success. Additionally, it's not like we want to decrease temperatures by an average of 20 degrees or something.
                                I think 0.2-0.5 C less growth by 2100 is what the accord would achieve per MIT. NASA believes that if we act now that the temp will only increase 1.5 C by 2100 and if we do nothing it will increase up to 4 C. http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/...l-consistency/ IPCC says 6 C might be the change. https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/. If the fear is that Climate change will grossly impact our world, then the Paris Accord fails.

Why are the predictions so radical? Climatologists believe we are nearing a tipping point in which an increase of 2 C will supercharge the positive feedback loops and they will overcome the negative feedback. This is similar to anti-bodies fighting a virus in the body. Once a threshold is reached the numbers proliferate. I don't know why they believe this since it's never been observed, but 2 C seems to be the magic number.

I've read a lot about how healthy and prosperous people were 150 years ago when the temperature was 0.9 C cooler. I hope we can return to hat golden era!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X