No announcement yet.

Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh goodie. Trump is just another Democrat. That makes me feel better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      Just as many others have already asked, I will do the same. What Trump policies are you talking about? Why do you claim your 401k did poorly under Obama?

If there is an answer that is more nuanced than what I hear from most Trumpkins with #MAGA, I'd love to hear it.
      I would still like to hear what specific Trump policy has helped anyone's 401k or created a boatload of new jobs. If you are going to claim these things, please provide evidence to back them up.

Comment

I would still like to hear what specific Trump policy has helped anyone's 401k or created a boatload of new jobs. If you are going to claim these things, please provide evidence to back them up.
        One thing I found amusing is the Carrier layoff after Trump said he "saved" jobs there. And the layoff is not his fault, just like he didn't actually save the jobs in the first place. http://www.npr.org/2017/06/26/534365...move-to-mexico

Comment

Why do you claim your 401k did poorly under Obama?
          My 401 k made maybe 6-7 percent during O'Bamas time but this year I've been in the 20 percent range. Are you saying the stock market isn't doing better during the past 7 months? It's higher than it's ever been.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            My 401 k made maybe 6-7 percent during O'Bamas time but this year I've been in the 20 percent range. Are you saying the stock market isn't doing better during the past 7 months? It's higher than it's ever been.
            If you only made 6-7% during Obama's time please talk to whoever is managing your accounts. Yes things are doing well under Trump, but under Obama we saw unprecedented sustained growth. There was a 1 year lull(not decline) in 2015, but that's about the worst that could be said about the economy during Obama's term.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              The S&P returned 11.6% per year from Jan 2009 to Jan 2017.
              It is up 9.2% so far this year. Still time left for it to go higher, or drop and lose some of those gains. We will see.
              I'm not sure what you were doing in your 401K to have underperformed so badly during Obama's tenure, and yet now, to be doing so well, but your numbers are not in line with the market as a whole.

Comment

• Presidents always get too much credit (or take too much flak) for market performance. The cycle will run its course. Presidents and Congress can exacerbate the downturns and accelerate recoveries to a limited degree, but for the most part, booms and busts are short-term agnostic toward the ideology in power.

That said, the DJIA was at ~6,500 in Spring of 2009 and now sits at 21,527. If you averaged 6%/yr over that 8 year period, fire your financial advisor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Presidents always get too much credit (or take too much flak) for market performance. The cycle will run its course. Presidents and Congress can exacerbate the downturns and accelerate recoveries to a limited degree, but for the most part, booms and busts are short-term agnostic toward the ideology in power.

That said, the DJIA was at ~6,500 in Spring of 2009 and now sits at 21,527. If you averaged 6%/yr over that 8 year period, fire your financial advisor.
                  Absolutely too much credit and blame is given to presidents. Are Trump supporters willing to accept the blame for the inevitable recession in the next 5 years? Cause it is gonna happen and it's not going to be Trump's fault.

Comment

• Thank you @PlayAngry. That needed to be said. Yes, the market is much more than just a gauge as to the President's economics.

I'm still waiting to hear WHAT Trump has done, via enacted policy, that his supporters think has been so wonderful for the economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                      Absolutely too much credit and blame is given to presidents. Are Trump supporters willing to accept the blame for the inevitable recession in the next 5 years? Cause it is gonna happen and it's not going to be Trump's fault.
                      Edit: Sorry I misread and thought you said it would be Trump's fault. My bad!

Why would Trump supporters accept the blame? Shouldn't Obama supporters that gave him credit for the sustained growth be the ones willing to accept the blame for the coming recession?

I agree with Play Angry and others that said Presidents get too much credit/blame for the economy. Heck, I think Presidents get too much credit/blame for lots of things. Really the President should set foreign policy and be Commander and Chief of the armed forces. Other than that, Congress should get the credit/blame for most of the other things.
                      Last edited by shockfan89_; July 13, 2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                        Edit: Sorry I misread and thought you said it would be Trump's fault. My bad!

Why would Trump supporters accept the blame? Shouldn't Obama supporters that gave him credit for the sustained growth be the ones willing to accept the blame for the coming recession?

I agree with Play Angry and others that said Presidents get too much credit/blame for the economy. Heck, I think Presidents get too much credit/blame for lots of things. Really the President should set foreign policy and be Commander and Chief of the armed forces. Other than that, Congress should get the credit/blame for most of the other things.
                        See your edit just want to elaborate further on the recession that will happen(plus I'm bored). The economy is a complicated thing that while Presidents have impact, it is not so obvious and is much more delayed than their sitting as a president quite often. The 2008 bubble falls at the feet of a lot of administrations, each adding onto the other that deregulated banks and allowed them to do as they wished when lending for mortgages. The next bubble to break will be much the same. Maybe Obama's admin/congress will have a hand in it, maybe the Bush, or even Clinton. Regardless simplifying any national economic success or failing at the feet of one administration is foolish. Side note if you've never watched The Big Short, I can't recommend it enough, although it may be rage inducing to see the things that went on.

Comment

Trump said he's done more in five months than practically any president in history, so that settles that.

Comment

• See your edit just want to elaborate further on the recession that will happen(plus I'm bored). The economy is a complicated thing that while Presidents have impact, it is not so obvious and is much more delayed than their sitting as a president quite often. The 2008 bubble falls at the feet of a lot of administrations, each adding onto the other that deregulated banks and allowed them to do as they wished when lending for mortgages. The next bubble to break will be much the same. Maybe Obama's admin/congress will have a hand in it, maybe the Bush, or even Clinton. Regardless simplifying any national economic success or failing at the feet of one administration is foolish. Side note if you've never watched The Big Short, I can't recommend it enough, although it may be rage inducing to see the things that went on.
                            I'm in total agreement with everything you said. I wasn't connecting to why Trump supporters should be willing to accept the blame for the coming recession.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              @shocka khan:, uncalled for.
                              I don't think so. I was told I would be 'run off this board' by doc. I was trolled by doc and Troll Valley John, who subsequently trolled Ms. Eskridge. Now we have posters congratulating them for trolling and harassing her and 'running her off the board' and, as usual, the mods do nothing.

Trying to limit freedom of expression and create an echo chamber on the political threads is not entirely appropriate. While I had my own disagreements with her, the tactics used against her by the very same people who threatened me were pretty close to the experience I had. In my mind, it is a pattern. Harass and heckle those who don't agree with you politically to try to 'run them off the board'.

You seem to be very accepting of other people's opinions and attempt to engage them in thoughtful exchanges. I can only wish some people were more like you.

This is my last comment on the subject. I'm not asking you to agree with me, I'm only pointing out this is not the first time something like this has been tried. In my case they failed, but in her case, they succeeded. If you can't accept that I might have a point, then I am disappointed in you.

Comment

Working...
                              X