Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Sam Brownback's performance as Governor is certainly not doing Trump any favors and Trump needs all the help he can get. But with friends like Brownback who needs enemies.
    Trump isn't doing himself any favors. One of my closest friends grew up in a small town near the Ohio River in Indiana. Because the latino federal judge Trump hates so much was born and raised in Indiana (and since he's there on vacation and interacting with the locals) I asked him what that people in Indiana thought about Trump's behavior. He said that Trump had alienated a lot of people in Indiana who planned to vote for him.

Not that I needed it, but it kind of validated my personal feelings. I was totally ready to vote for Trump until he started carrying on about this federal judge and his ethnic upbringing. While I understand that this type of 'stuff' goes on in corporate America every day (getting an advantage in any way you can because the other guy is doing it as well) it is definitely not appropriate behavior from someone you might support for President.

Gary Johnson looks better and better everyday. One thing's for sure, I will not vote for Hillary.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
      Trump isn't doing himself any favors. One of my closest friends grew up in a small town near the Ohio River in Indiana. Because the latino federal judge Trump hates so much was born and raised in Indiana (and since he's there on vacation and interacting with the locals) I asked him what that people in Indiana thought about Trump's behavior. He said that Trump had alienated a lot of people in Indiana who planned to vote for him.

Not that I needed it, but it kind of validated my personal feelings. I was totally ready to vote for Trump until he started carrying on about this federal judge and his ethnic upbringing. While I understand that this type of 'stuff' goes on in corporate America every day (getting an advantage in any way you can because the other guy is doing it as well) it is definitely not appropriate behavior from someone you might support for President.

Gary Johnson looks better and better everyday. One thing's for sure, I will not vote for Hillary.
      No doubt the Donald is perfectly capable of shooting himself in the foot. However, it doesn't help him if Brownback is shooting him in the other foot.

At this point I am in the Never Trump and Never Hillary camp as well although I realize one of them will most likely be our next president. My goal is to try to help make sure neither Trump or Clinton receives a majority of the popular vote so neither or able to claim a mandate. Although I am not sure that will stop either one of them from doing so.

I think anyone who is taking this election seriously should at least check out Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. After all both he and his running mate, Bill Weld, are both former 2-term GOP governors of blue states. So while perhaps they are fringe candidates I don't think they are on the lunatic fringe.

At a miniumum I would love to see the Libertarian candidates included in any presidential and vice-presidential debates. Especially this year when we are being offered a stupid candidate from the evil party against an evil candidate from the stupid party. Stole that last comment from: http://theweek.com/articles/628373/g...nstream-appeal
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 13, 2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I think anyone who is taking this election seriously should at least check out Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate.
        If someone really likes Johnson, then sure, vote for Johnson.

But...

Assuming someone finds Johnson tolerable, but not great, what incentive is there to vote Johnson rather than write-in a well known alternative instead? For example, if I align much more with Rubio, why wouldn't I write-in Rubio? Neither Johnson nor Rubio will win, so why does it matter that Johnson is on the ballot and Rubio isn't?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          That is a good article (I have read it before) - the key is enthusiasm. Anecdotally I don't see enthusiasm for Republican nominee. But the thing Trump does have going for him is Hillary. 538 had this graphic out the just this week on Trump

Romney and McCain each received 93% of all registered Republican votes in 2012/2008 respectively. Are those numbers in that chart based on polling in June 2012/2008?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Your premise wouldn't work in 2008 - depending on the estimate BO either just got 50.1% or trailed Hillary in popular vote %.
            You are correct that primary % is not a perfect indicator. I'm simply arguing that it is, on average, a MUCH BETTER indicator than primary turnout.

Interesting side note... Hillary won a lot of states and votes down the stretch in 2008, all at Obama's expense. She waited until June 7th to suspend her campaign.

Dukakis in 1988 had significant opposition all the way to the convention.

Trump has historically weak support as the nominee (Trump's 44% & Dukakis' 42% are the two that really stand out) despite Trump being the only one in the Trump/Obama/Dukakis trio to enjoy running unopposed in the last month of primaries.
            Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; June 14, 2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Assuming someone finds Johnson tolerable, but not great, what incentive is there to vote Johnson rather than write-in a well known alternative instead? For example, if I align much more with Rubio, why wouldn't I write-in Rubio. Neither Johnson nor Rubio will win, so why does it matter that Johnson is on the ballot and Rubio isn't?
              I think this is correct and something I have given some thought to as well since I have not totally bought in to Johnson although at this point he is more tolerable for me than Trump or Clinton. Anything to send a message. It will be interesting to see if Johnson can gain any traction. In Fox's latest poll they had Johnson at 12%. Other polls have him at 10%. Either way that is an impressive number for an unknown whose campaign had about $15,000 remaining after the Libertarian convention. Of course, that is more attributable to dissatisfaction with the mainstream candidates than anything Johnson has done.

Comment

• I originally heard from everyone that liked Trump because he sent a message. Are you trying to change the message?

Comment

If someone really likes Johnson, then sure, vote for Johnson.

But...

Assuming someone finds Johnson tolerable, but not great, what incentive is there to vote Johnson rather than write-in a well known alternative instead? For example, if I align much more with Rubio, why wouldn't I write-in Rubio? Neither Johnson nor Rubio will win, so why does it matter that Johnson is on the ballot and Rubio isn't?
                  I would suggest someone should vote Johnson IF they happen to think that at some point in the near future the Libertarian party aligns with their views. Voting for a 3rd party candidate(or polling if somehow you end up called), is relevant in this election. If a 3rd party candidate gets 15% in polling they will be on stage in debates and if they receive 5% of the popular vote, the party receives federal funding in the next election. While this doesn't change anything immediately, it can help change future elections, by hopefully making people aware we don't have to stick to this terrible two party system that forces citizens to compromise way to many of their values due to polarization.(I would suggest anyone vote for whatever 3rd party best suits them this cycle Green, Libertarian, whatever) Ideally I would prefer just to see more options for everyone, unfortunately the current election method may preclude that.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    I originally heard from everyone that liked Trump because he sent a message. Are you trying to change the message?
                    I'm not following what you are saying.

Comment

I'm not following what you are saying.
                      When reading above, I saw voting for Johnson and Rubio both mentioned as sending a message. Trump has been mentioned as being not being a politician so people were sending a message by voting for him. I have not been one of the voters who wanted to send a message, but I liked Rubio and would have liked for him to be a candidate. However, both Johnson and Rubio are politicians. I agree with you that people are fickle and difficult to follow what they actually want.

Comment

When reading above, I saw voting for Johnson and Rubio both mentioned as sending a message. Trump has been mentioned as being not being a politician so people were sending a message by voting for him. I have not been one of the voters who wanted to send a message, but I liked Rubio and would have liked for him to be a candidate. However, both Johnson and Rubio are politicians. I agree with you that people are fickle and difficult to follow what they actually want.
                        Sending a message is too generic of a phrase. Voting for a KKK member would be sending a message, but that sure isn't a message I want to send.

We were discussing how to best send the SPECIFIC message that neither Hillary nor Trump are acceptable. For those of us who despise both of them, the question then becomes "who now?". Thus the conversation about whether Johnson or Rubio would provide the best vessel to send that anti-Hillary/Trump message.

Comment

Sending a message is too generic of a phrase. Voting for a KKK member would be sending a message, but that sure isn't a message I want to send.

We were discussing how to best send the SPECIFIC message that neither Hillary nor Trump are acceptable. For those of us who despise both of them, the question then becomes "who now?". Thus the conversation about whether Johnson or Rubio would provide the best vessel to send that anti-Hillary/Trump message.
                          Your message is going to be lost, but it may make you feel better for it. My message will more likely be to hold my nose and vote.

Comment

Your message is going to be lost, but it may make you feel better for it. My message will more likely be to hold my nose and vote.
                            Once again, I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying.

Are you trying to say that if I voted for Trump, that would be a better way for me to get my message heard?

Comment

• Regarding write-in votes - please correct me if I'm wrong - who you write in will never be tabulated unless doing so affects the outcome of the election. That is to say, it just gets counted as "write-ins". If in reality Rubio got 95% of the write-in vote, which accounted for 5% of the total, but one of the major candidates wins be enough to receive the minimum number of electoral votes, we will never know how many votes Rubio actually received.

Comment

• Well, you learn something new every day...

Voters unhappy with the major parties' choices may be considering some options not on the ballot including writing in a name of their own. But in reality, those votes will not actually go to that…

I guess I should just skip the polling place this November and instead burn toupees and shred emails in the middle of the street in protest.

Comment

Working...
                                X