Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Oh bullshit. You try too hard. Why would we "expect" the opposite? Why wouldn't we expect a sharp downturn when it first happens, then some people to gradually ease up and say "Eh, I don't like it, but I'm still going to attend or watch"? That's what I expect. Stop trying to fit your narrative, like, EVERY TIME.

They do suggest that? I think not at all. But again, trying to fit your narrative, no matter how tight the squeeze.
    "Knuckleheaded Douchenozzle aka CBB_Fan"

People resort to namecalling when they have no other point.

The simple facts are that ratings were higher in 2015 than 2016, and higher than 2016 than 2017. Ratings in 2017 were higher weeks 3-5 than week 2 but lower than week 1, though generally week 1 has even better comparative ratings.

When I say "we expect that" I was using the term in a scientific sense. IE, "if this is true, then [we expect that] the following would be true as well." If our hypothesis is that kneeling impacted NFL ratings, then we are guessing that the following is true:

* Ratings dropped after week 2 when the controversy began
    * Ratings overall dropped in comparison to 2016, particularly after week 2

Likewise, if those are false we come to the opposite conclusion.

The measurable facts do not support a large drop off due to kneeling. They do support a decline in overall TV watching and a lower week 1 rating due to Irma. Less objectively, we can observe the NFL's tepid response and the ambiguity in ticket and merchandise sells. I suspect that the greatest pressure, if any, came from advertisers but that isn't an easily measurable stat.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
      "Knuckleheaded Douchenozzle aka CBB_Fan"

People resort to namecalling when they have no other point.

The simple facts are that ratings were higher in 2015 than 2016, and higher than 2016 than 2017. Ratings in 2017 were higher weeks 3-5 than week 2 but lower than week 1, though generally week 1 has even better comparative ratings.

When I say "we expect that" I was using the term in a scientific sense. IE, "if this is true, then [we expect that] the following would be true as well." If our hypothesis is that kneeling impacted NFL ratings, then we are guessing that the following is true:

* Ratings dropped after week 2 when the controversy began
      * Ratings overall dropped in comparison to 2016, particularly after week 2

Likewise, if those are false we come to the opposite conclusion.

The measurable facts do not support a large drop off due to kneeling. They do support a decline in overall TV watching and a lower week 1 rating due to Irma. Less objectively, we can observe the NFL's tepid response and the ambiguity in ticket and merchandise sells. I suspect that the greatest pressure, if any, came from advertisers but that isn't an easily measurable stat.
      ok then, don't worry

Comment

• Every story I have seen on the NFL is ratings are in decline. I’m sure it just fake news generated by the soccer intelgensia to try and destroy American football.

Comment

• From sporting news

The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7 percent vs. the same period of the 2016 season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. Worse for the league, the average game audiences are down 18 percent compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season -- when there were no Colin Kaepernick-inspired player protests for racial justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            Ratings are not up from last year. Ratings ARE up from before the controversy. To clarify, let's look at the actual ratings and not some op-ed from a news site. Overall ratings the past three weeks were 53.9, 57.4, and 52.5 for instance. On average, 54.6 weeks 3-5 and compared to 54.2 before the controversy.

All of these are lower than last years numbers, but the difference has actually gotten smaller week to week. Viewership was down 12.3 and 11.5% weeks 1 and 2, but just 7.2% through week 5. If kneeling was the cause we'd expect the opposite. Instead, the numbers suggest a more general decline in TV audiences and something large dominating the airwaves in competition with week 1 of the NFL (Hurricane Irma).
            Last year was the lowest ratings in over a decade. This year is the lowesr in two decades. Ratings are stagnant this year...not increasing or decreasing since week 2.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• If the NFL puts a ban on any form of protest during the anthem, we should expect to see a ratings bump, right?
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                If the NFL puts a ban on any form of protest during the anthem, we should expect to see a ratings bump, right?
                I doubt it

Comment

• Could be Trump bringing it up made more casual fans watch, just to see if players knelt, offsetting what might have been a bigger ratings drop.

Could be that people are just getting bored with the NFL due to a lack of compelling stars in the league.

Could be people are not interested in watching wife beaters and drug addicts beat each other up, then play commercials to tell the fans not to beat their wives and do drugs.

Could be what used to make the NFL fun to watch is getting gradually removed, ie crushing hits.

Could be fantasy football has brought in more casual fans and the team focus gets replaced with individual interest, and instead of watching the games, these casual fans can just as easily check their phones...

Who knows. Trump bringing it up probably had little to do with what was already happening. I still watch, but not as interested as i used to be. I think its more generational in nature. Its just not the same league that i loved bsck in the 80s and 90s.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• But whatever Trump was doing, it was for Trump.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      If the NFL puts a ban on any form of protest during the anthem, we should expect to see a ratings bump, right?
                      No. Just another group of people will be mad. If you look at the numbers by ethnicity, there are decreases in white, black and latino. Only group that has increased has been Asians.

I think there are bigger issues surrounding the NFL than just the protests - it just another negative to siphon off viewers. The biggest demographic they are losing viewer in is the 18-34 group regardless of ethnicity (-12% per year). I would conjecture that might be related to less people playing football when they were younger because of the concussion issues related to football.

The other factor for the 18-34 group is they are probably leading the cord cutting also.

I think the NFL is DOA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        Speak for yourself. I am getting nothing out of this.
                        On the contrary, I have gained occasional presidential policy-induced migraines, lowered respect for the average voter, a brand new disdain of the Electoral College, and dozens of new reasons to apologize to my friends from foreign countries. So then there's that.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          On the contrary, I have gained occasional presidential policy-induced migraines, lowered respect for the average voter, a brand new disdain of the Electoral College, and dozens of new reasons to apologize to my friends from foreign countries. So then there's that.
                          There's also these few things, but why let them get in the way of a false narrative?

- Manufacturing expands at fastest pace in 13 years
                          - Home builder confidence at a 12-year high
                          - Manufacturing confidence at a 20-year high
                          - Q2 GDP up 3.1%
                          - Household wealth in America reaches record high
                          - Food stamp usage has fallen every month under Trump
                          - Wages rising faster than prices
                          - Median income climbing for the 1st time since 2007
                          - US Job satisfaction highest since 2005
                          - Trump cuts more US debt than any President
                          - Construction wages in Texas have increased 30% due to lack of illegal workers
                          - US exports hit 2 1/2 year high
                          - Black unemployment lowest level in 17 years
                          - CEO confidence highest since 2014
                          - Federal spending as a percentage of GDP down
                          - Job killing regulations slashed
                          - All federal agencies ordered to create task force to cut regulations
                          - US Manufacturing index at a 33-year high
                          - Illegal immigration has fallen drastically

Comment

• Be careful with chest-thumping on the economy.

Unless you are willing to attribute the 08 crash entirely to GWB and the ensuing ~300% recovery in equities entirely to Obama (you shouldn't), it gets shaky fast. Presidents always claim too much credit for cyclical booms and receive too much blame for cyclical busts. The economy is gonna do its thing, and our leadership generally just mitigates or exacerbates the magnitude of the peaks and valleys.

Look at market performance and job numbers under Republican administrations and Democrat administrations. Republicans get smoked, not because they are shitty for the economy, but because they've been in power during several tails of cyclical tops. There is a decent chance this is happening again with the current debt and central bank fueled boom.

Comment

• I agree with you on the economy. Obama got credit for all of the things he didn't do that occurred during his Presidency too. I think the economy is poised for a correction (it has been held together by a house of cards for 8+ years). I am surprised at the shot in the arm from Trump's election though.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                                I am surprised at the shot in the arm from Trump's election though.
                                I'm not. I know of several friends who held back creating jobs and expanding their businesses during the total regulatory mess of Obama's administration. Many businesses were shrinking to try and survive the federal government bureaucrats. Examples: Berkeley had to delete 20,000 free educational videos due to regulation. For the EPA the bottom of a farmer's furrow is a "wetland" and 5 inches up the top of the furrow is a "converted upland".

If this administration can follow through on dumping as much of the administrative state as possible things will continue to improve.

Comment

Working...
                                X