Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Could Weaken Federal Agencies

And I'm here for it.

KAKE - Supreme Court conservatives signal willingness to roll back the power of federal agencies

The justices are hearing two cases concerning the so-called Chevron deference, which emerged from a 1984 case. Oral arguments in the first case went well beyond the allotted hour, with the conservatives signaling their willingness to overturn the decades-old case and their liberal colleagues sounding the alarm on how such a reversal would upend how the federal government enforces all kinds of regulations.

Congress routinely writes open-ended, ambiguous laws that leave the policy details to agency officials. The Chevron deference stipulates that when disputes arise over regulation of an ambiguous law, judges should defer to agency interpretations, as long as the interpretations are reasonable.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, a conservative who has long expressed misgivings about the Chevron deference, at one point boiled his understanding of the doctrine down to one simple outcome when courts examine ambiguous statutes under its terms: “The government always wins.”

“Chevron is exploited against the individual and in favor of the government,” Gorsuch said.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson underscored the concern from her and the two other liberals on the bench that overturning Chevron would force courts to make policy decisions that they say are better left for experts employed by federal agencies.

“I see Chevron as doing the very important work of helping courts stay away from policymaking,” she said.
    I know libertarians have long taken issue with federal agencies dictating law/policy with no real oversight or accountability and change policy on a whim dependent upon who is in power. No enforceable law in which individuals are, or can be, punished or imprisoned by the federal government should be permitted without a public vote by those accountable to the people.

Who knows if this will truly be ruled on in favor of the people over the feds, but hearing Gorsuch say what virtually all libertarians believe in this instance is encouraging.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    And I'm here for it.

KAKE - Supreme Court conservatives signal willingness to roll back the power of federal agencies

I know libertarians have long taken issue with federal agencies dictating law/policy with no real oversight or accountability and change policy on a whim dependent upon who is in power. No enforceable law in which individuals are, or can be, punished or imprisoned by the federal government should be permitted without a public vote by those accountable to the people.

Who knows if this will truly be ruled on in favor of the people over the feds, but hearing Gorsuch say what virtually all libertarians believe in this instance is encouraging.
    I consider myself a Conservative, instead of a Libertarian, and in agreement with reigning in the powers of Independent Agencies who are under the Executive branch. Democrat Presidents and their Cabinet choices have continually attempted to increase the powers of these agencies since the 1960’s. Since then, and probably a little earlier (likely since President FDR and during the Depression when numbers of federal employees exploded), the Federal government has tried to increase their powers. I think that today, freedoms of Speech, Religion, and other freedoms mentioned in the Constitution (Bill of Rights) are being tested by the Democrat Party.

Comment

I hope the Sup Court overturns the stupid Chevron deference principal. Why should courts defer to the interpretation of regulations by agencies?

Comment

Good. The continual power grab by these agencies is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I hope the Sup Court overturns the stupid Chevron deference principal. Why should courts defer to the interpretation of regulations by agencies?
          I agree ABC. While I agree that some safety regulations are important when it comes to drugs, food, security, etc., you see just how powerful the Feds want to get (read the Covid and other threads),

The FBI have targeted Catholics, parents, etc. just because they disagree with Biden's Administration.

Here's another article (dealing with security).

The FBI worked with banks (including Bank of America), to target key purchases/words like Bible purchases, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Dick Sporting Goods, MAGA, etc. Just how many American citizens "Credit Cards" do these searches cover, and do they cover all terrorists or just the average citizen?

At the request of the FBI, the country’s second-largest bank “voluntarily and without any legal process” snooped through the information of anyone making certain purchases

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fe...an/ar-AA1n9tuk

Comment

Working...
          X