Supreme Court Could Weaken Federal Agencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Democracy survives, thanks to Trump’s SCOTUS appointments.
    With a special thanks to Harry Reid for going to the nuclear option in 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It's pretty obvious that states rights have diminished since the 17th amendment. The people were never meant to elect senators because then they're more susceptible to the pandering to people as opposed to working for the actual benefit and being a voice for the state. There's a reason the Founders didn't want the Senate being put together by the whims of the populace.

You call it a conservative talking point but I've seen very few so-called conservatives ever talk about it. Though they may be starting to now as you're seeing more and more states push back. The only places I ever see/hear this being talked about are amongst libertarians who are big on reigning in the power of DC. Most conservatives seem to like to power of DC, as long as it's focused on their issues as opposed to liberal issues.
      I did read that Conservatives were for it. I just don't know how doing away with the 17th Amendment will go, and I don't think you know either. That's all I was saying.

Here is a Conservative organization saying that there are two sides to this coin if you care to read it. Some aspects might be good, and some might not.

Repealing the 17th Amendment, which would end the direct election of U.S. senators and return the power of appointing senators to state legislatures, is a popular idea among many conservatives. They argue that giving state governments a more formal and direct representation in Congress would resuscitate constitutional federalism, which has been adversely affected by the Progressive Era amendment passed by Congress in 1912 and ratified by the states a year later.

"Some Conservatives Want to Repeal the 17th Amendment. Here’s Why They’re Misguided."

Comment

So the main "negative" is that states and the federal government would have to be more fiscally responsible? I'm not sure on what planet that would be a negative.

Every other point he basically argued that states already do that or have the power, which is questionable. And there's still the fact that without states having representation we're likely to still see some more federal growth down the road that would otherwise not happen.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I don’t think you read the entire article.

Comment

Woah.......... They just cut into Wheel of Fortune so that Joe could give a political speech from the White House. That sh!t ain't right.

Comment

image.png

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                It is a pretty rational decision from the Supreme Court, regardless of what the democrats are whining about (which I'm pretty sure haven't even read they court decision).

Comment

All I've heard today is that the Dems believe the president may now murder Trump and pretty much everyone they want.

These f***ing people are... I don't even know what. A combination of stupid, evil, power crazed, and delusional.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Well duh.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      I don’t think you read the entire article.
                      I did. There was very little that was 'negative' other than mere speculation and claims that states can still fight things, even though the reality is it's much tougher for them to fight bad laws and regulations after the fact than during their implementation. A lot of things could be stopped if states had a voice in DC before they had to try and battle it through the court system.

And yet still, there is a very good reason the Founders wanted the states to have representation and removing that has done more harm than good.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I did. There was very little that was 'negative' other than mere speculation and claims that states can still fight things, even though the reality is it's much tougher for them to fight bad laws and regulations after the fact than during their implementation. A lot of things could be stopped if states had a voice in DC before they had to try and battle it through the court system.

And yet still, there is a very good reason the Founders wanted the states to have representation and removing that has done more harm than good.
                        It did talk substantially about states being beholding to the Federal Government in all areas which may become worse. It included states demanding more money from the federal government and issues such as immigration in the states and sanctuary laws which could have a worse result.

I don't think we know what unintended results would be. It's all speculative.

Comment

Anyone who is in favor of the Chevron results and limiting federal government powers that are a result of civilian decisions and interference should read this article on how Trump and others (Conservatives) have tried to reign in federal powers for years.
                          The Goal Of The "Architects of the Supreme Court" Was Always Overruling Chevron, and not Overruling Roe

"McConnell: "Dismantling the administrative state and empowering people who are actually elected to make decisions has been the motivating force" for nearly every "Federalist Society-type lawyer."

McConnell: "Dismantling the administrative state and empowering people who are actually elected to make decisions has been the motivating force" for nearly every "Federalist Society-type lawyer."

Comment

Working...
                          X