No announcement yet.

Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently there's no probable cause affidavit filed with the court. A reporter for the paper requested a copy from the court and the court issued a signed statement saying no such affidavit was on file. I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I haven't seen from any angle the probable cause needed for a raid like this. All they have is the accusations of a lady who has admitted the info is accurate complaining that it's been discovered and assuming it was illegally obtained.

Kansas Reflector - Police defend raid on Kansas newspaper amid backlash over 'brazen violation of press freedom'

The newspaper said it was planning to file a federal lawsuit. Free press attorneys and advocacy groups rejected the police explanation for the raid.

“It appears like the police department is trying to criminalize protected speech in an attempt to sidestep federal law,” said Jared McClain, an attorney for the Institute for Justice, a libertarian law firm.

“The First Amendment ensures that publications like the Marion County Record can investigate public officials without fear of reprisal,” McClain said. “It chills the important function of journalism when police raid a newsroom, storm the homes of reporters, seize their property and gain access to their confidential sources. That’s precisely why we must hold accountable officers who retaliate against people who exercise their First Amendment rights.”
    Eric Meyer, the newspaper publisher, said a confidential source had provided documentation that Newell had been convicted of drunken driving in 2008 and had driven without a license. A reporter used the KDOR website to verify that the information was accurate, but the newspaper decided not to publish a story about the information.

Instead, Eric Meyer said, he notified local police of the situation. Marion police, in coordination with state authorities, launched an investigation and alerted Newell. They obtained a search warrant, signed by Magistrate Judge Laura Viar, for evidence of identity theft and criminal use of a computer.

“Basically,” Eric Meyer said, “all the law enforcement officers on duty in Marion County, Kansas, descended on our offices today and seized our server and computers and personal cellphones of staff members all because of a story we didn’t publish.”
    News of Friday’s raid attracted national attention and elicited condemnation from free speech organizations.

Shannon Jankowski, PEN America’s journalism and disinformation program director, said law enforcement should be held accountable for violations of the newspaper’s legal rights.

“Journalists rely on confidential sources to report on matters of vital public concern,” Jankowski said. “Law enforcement’s sweeping raid on the Marion County Record and confiscation of its equipment almost certainly violates federal law and puts the paper’s very ability to publish the news in jeopardy. Such egregious attempts to interfere with news reporting cannot go unchecked in a democracy.”

Max Kautsch, president of the Kansas Coalition for Open Government, said if there were evidence to justify an exemption to federal law protecting journalists from searches, it would be identified in the affidavit that supports the search warrant.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If the ex husband gave it to the newspaper, it still could be illegally obtained. It might take lawyer’s to get a final decision, but the judge signed off on it. As I said, small town politics and families can be dirty too.

Comment

The owner of the paper just died. No word on cause of death.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          The owner of the paper just died. No word on cause of death.
          Are you serious?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

She died Saturday, the day after the raid.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Are you serious?
              Pay no attention to the fact that she was 97. A close friend of the Clinton’s was in town.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Pay no attention to the fact that she was 97. A close friend of the Clinton’s was in town.
                I think 97 was a coincidence. She actually choked on the evidence (the police were looking for) while stuffing it in her mouth to hide it.

Comment

She wasn't the shooter at the grassy knoll was she?!?!?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I’m going to try to think like an investigative newspaper reporter here.

Should Eric Meyer possibly charged with elder abuse here?

If the circumstances of Ms Meyers’ death had occurred in an assisted living facility, I have to believe that facility would be investigated. Eric Meyer stated that his mother was feeling high stress starting the day before her passing as she couldn’t eat dinner the previous evening, was unable to sleep the night before and wouldn’t eat the morning of her death. All he did apparently was to tell her to eat up until she expired, not seeking any medical assistance or advice?

If this happened at a care facility surely people would be raising red flags!

Comment

I grew up in Marion County. Meyer's dad ran the Marion Record when I lived there. He was an outstanding journalist. He didn't care who he might offend and he always had the evidence to support his editorial views. That REALLY pi$$ed off those he reported on. I imagine his son was doing the same.

Meyer's mom couldn't sleep the night after the raid on her house and said she was stressed by the raid. She died in mid-sentence telling her son she was upset by the police coming into her home.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

You have got to be $hitting us with that statement. Eric Meyer left a journalism professorship at Illinois U to take over his mother's newspaper and live with her in her house to take care of her.

He reported she was perfectly normal and active in every way other than not sleeping and not wanting to eat the next morning. That's hardly a reason to call an ambulance.

You made one hell oif an effort to shift the blame to the victim instead of the unlawful search and seizure signed by the magistrate judge and the police who carried out the illegal search.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

If the circumstances of Ms Meyers’ death had occurred in an assisted living facility, I have to believe that facility would be investigated. Eric Meyer stated that his mother was feeling high stress starting the day before her passing as she couldn’t eat dinner the previous evening, was unable to sleep the night before and wouldn’t eat the morning of her death. All he did apparently was to tell her to eat up until she expired, not seeking any medical assistance or advice?

If this happened at a care facility surely people would be raising red flags!
                          And the winner of the most dumbass post of the year

Comment

Well at 97, people are usually at the "tipping point" of life, and anything can put them over the edge at any point. Anyone who has taken care of an elderly relative knows this. However, not too much should be made of this action killing her, because she may have only lived another day or two or three if the government action hadn't happened. Mr. Meyer did change the subject by mentioning this although I'm sure he was feeling angry.

The real issue here is whether this action was legal or not, and warranted, and that should be sorted out soon.

We all know that the government sometimes has gotten it wrong and stepped out of their role to keep the public safe. Sometimes the government gets it wrong. Look at the guy in Utah who was shot by the FBI. I have to believe that there was another way to handle this investigation instead of coming into his house and shooting him. And then the Mara Lago incident where the FBI went in like storm troopers instead of going in with minimal force or finding another way to get the documents from President Trump.

Both incidents were most likely handled lawfully, but probably another way would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              Well at 97, people are usually at the "tipping point" of life, and anything can put them over the edge at any point.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                Well at 97, people are usually at the "tipping point" of life, and anything can put them over the edge at any point.
                                I have elderly family that have a 2nd home in a retirement community. When they are there the cul-de-sac tries to get the folks together for at least one meal a week (about 7 houses) if possible. Last summer, the only single person, a 98 year old vet who almost never made an event decided to show. They enjoyed steak and baked potatoes and a cherry pie for dessert. As they were leaving, he turned and thanked the host and said "I want to thank you for inviting me. That was the best meal I've had in years and the best night I've had since Mary (his wife) passed."

He sat down on the swing on the porch as everyone was leaving, closed his eyes and departed this world.

May God Bless us all to be that fortunate in our passing.

Comment

Working...
                                X