Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    The woke crap has definitely penetrated many different levels of local government. If I know a candidate is a Democrat, I may not know if they are _for_ woke policy, but I know they won't be _against_ it. They may not honestly answer questions in interviews, but party affiliation certainly informs what political pressure their overlords will be imposing on them.

Same goes for abortion and other hot button issues that aren't just national in scope.
    There are a lot of Democrats that aren't in on the woke agenda. And no city/county government is doing anything on abortion.

And if my local council person is being pressured by political overlords, I don't care if they have an R or a D, they're equally inept and worthless at that point.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      There are a lot of Democrats that aren't in on the woke agenda.
      They aren't against it.

And no city/county government is doing anything on abortion.
      They do from time to time: https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/...ne/9911760002/

And if my local council person is being pressured by political overlords, I don't care if they have an R or a D, they're equally inept and worthless at that point.
      It's definitely a thing at the local level: https://www.newsbreak.com/news/24207...cil-candidates

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The woke crap has definitely penetrated many different levels of local government. If I know a candidate is a Democrat, I may not know if they are _for_ woke policy, but I know they won't be _against_ it. They may not honestly answer questions in interviews, but party affiliation certainly informs what political pressure their overlords will be imposing on them.

Same goes for abortion and other hot button issues that aren't just national in scope.
        Our Mayor (Whipple) has brought up issues like abortion which he shouldn’t because our local government doesn’t have a role in dealing with issues like that. It’s a state issue. If Lily Wu, and other candidates are “smart” they’ll stay away from answering those types of issues (example of abortion) in their role as a local official. Stick to Wichita issues.

Comment

Sounds like Wichitans may see their property taxes increase to help cover city spending.

KSN - City of Wichita planning on how to spend its 2024 budget

The City of Wichita is planning how to spend its 2024 operating budget, which is about $300 million dollars, with the entire budget at $714 million.

The City of Wichita City Council voted 4-3 Tuesday to move forward with the recommended operating budget.

The City says a big focus, around $120 million, of the proposal is public safety. That amount would go toward police, including adding more body cameras and creating new positions from the Jensen and Hughes recommendations.
          “Every area of government, we just continue to grow, grow, grow. We have to find out whether our residents want to pay for that or not,” said Wichita City Councilman, Jeff Blubaugh.

Wichita city leaders said inflation is impacting the budget and they believe they have lost about $15 million in spending power.

The City is looking at how to cover those costs. One solution could impact city residents’ property taxes.

“The only growth or changes that we ever see in our property tax revenue come from changes in valuation,” said Wichita City Manager, Robert Layton.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sounds like Wichitans may see their property taxes increase to help cover city spending.

KSN - City of Wichita planning on how to spend its 2024 budget

My property taxes already changed because of my house valuation, and estimated value. It goes up every year.

Comment

This is a pretty good article by the WBJ with questions to all candidates. Wu impresses me quite a bit.

WBJ - Where They Stand: Wichita's Mayoral Candidates Talk Business Priorities

And if Shelia Davis doesn't come in dead last in the primary I have major concerns for Wichita as a whole. I'm sure she means well, but everything time I've seen a Q&A she does not come off well at all.

I don't know what kind of buzz there may be in Wichita over the upcoming primary, but as an outsider, I really hope Wu moves forward to the general. A couple of others might be okay as well, but she consistently impresses me with her answers to pretty much every question.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This is a pretty good article by the WBJ with questions to all candidates. Wu impresses me quite a bit.

WBJ - Where They Stand: Wichita's Mayoral Candidates Talk Business Priorities

And if Shelia Davis doesn't come in dead last in the primary I have major concerns for Wichita as a whole. I'm sure she means well, but everything time I've seen a Q&A she does not come off well at all.

I don't know what kind of buzz there may be in Wichita over the upcoming primary, but as an outsider, I really hope Wu moves forward to the general. A couple of others might be okay as well, but she consistently impresses me with her answers to pretty much every question.
                Wu for me and Wu for you...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

We have to stop coddling people and be truthful.

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...isode-318.html

God bless Bill Roy for keeping a straight face during this debacle. Ms. Davis is, self admittedly, uneducated. She struggles to put together the most basic of sentences. It's likely she's homeless or would be homeless if not for government handouts/grants. She talks about attending college in several places but starts the interview off saying she's attending Butler to get her GED. I honestly don't think she has the first clue what she's doing in class, if in fact she's actually attending class somewhere.

Her "ideas" are the most rudimentary thoughts you can imagine (ie I'd like teachers to be paid more and have Friday's off) and she has literally no thought process beyond 'I think'.

I don't believe it's rude to call out someone for this type of behavior. I do think it's possible that she's mentally unwell or damaged in some way but that doesn't mean we have to treat her like all the other candidates. Bill kind of tried to challenge her (why run for mayor and not something a little less all encompassing?) and I applaud him for that, but let's call this what it is. A complete waste of time and tax payer money for anyone that spends .01 on this clown show.

She did, however, ride her bike across the bridge in Davenport, Iowa, so she's got that going for her, which is nice.

Comment

When asked about why we should legalize pot in Wichita, she opens with ... "In states like Denver ..." (4:29-ish mark)
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

When asked about why we should legalize pot in Wichita, she opens with ... "In states like Denver ..." (4:29-ish mark)
                      That's the only state she knows of........

Comment

BTW, Julie Rose Stroud is an idiot. Do not elect her mayor. I worked with her previously and she demonstrated a high level of consistent incompetence in a middle management role.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Evergy rate increase is getting push-back from both sides of the aisle.

KWCH - Kansas lawmakers express bipartisan concern about proposed Evergy rate hike

Kansas Republicans and Democrats are concerned about the latest Evergy rate-increase proposal. The utility says it needs another increase to pay for infrastructure for a new electric vehicle battery plant in DeSoto, near Kansas City. This is on top of another increase proposed earlier this year.

12 News spoke with state lawmakers from both sides of the aisle that say Kansans shouldn’t have to pay anymore than they already do. Evergy said the new Panasonic plant takes the same amount of electricity as a small city and it needs new substations and transmission lines to meet demand. To meet that, the utility is looking to customers.

While Evergy hasn’t revealed how much the increase would be, new of another rate hike raises concerns. Kansas Rep. John Carmichael, D-Wichita, is among those pushing against Governor Laura Kelly’s message that the Panasonic project would eventually lower residential electrical rates in Kansas.

“Somehow, this Panasonic plant is going to lower residential electric rates in Kansas. There’s no responsible expert in the field who contends that,” Carmichael said. “The only people that contend that are Evergy and the governor’s office.”
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If money is any indication, Wu will be the next mayor.

WBJ - Lily Wu raises more than $200K in Wichita mayoral primary race

Wu has raised $207,202 since the start of 2023, according to her finance report.

Wu reported she has $88,075.53 cash on hand for the final week of the primary and possible general election run. Her contributors included 329 individuals or companies who sent in the maximum $500.

Incumbent mayor Brandon Whipple reported $34,711.78 in 2023 contributions in addition to $20,732.86 cash already on hand. After expenditures, he has just under $28,000 cash on hand. Whipple reported 24 contributions of the maximum $500.
                            City Council member Bryan Frye reported contributions totaling $92,721 and cash on hand of $25,937.62. He reported 143 maximum contributions.

Activist Celeste Racette reported contributions of $38,845 and has $4,357.41 cash on hand. She reported 33 maximum contributions.

Former City Council member Jared Cerullo, the other candidate with broad name recognition, did not accept donations for his candidacy. He reported no contributions and expenditures of $5,372.44.
                            Wu also has support from PACs Americans for Prosperity and Wichita Regional Chamber of Commerce.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

What stands out more than all that to me is Jared Cerullo. Taking no money. Why aren’t more people talking about that?

Comment

I know some think that party affiliation shouldn't matter much but it does to me. Which of the candidates have conservative values and won't turn us into Minneapolis? Honest question.

Comment

Working...
                                X