Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good in my opinion

Eagle - Sedgwick County nixes music festival at Lake Afton, citing public safety, vulgar artist

A music festival that bills itself as “the biggest lake party in Kansas” will not return to Lake Afton this July.

The Sedgwick County Commission voted unanimously Wednesday to deny Dam Jam organizers access to the park, citing public safety concerns and moral objections to one musical act’s vulgar lyrics.

The festival, scheduled for July 19-20, was expected to draw as many as 9,000 attendees. Last year’s event at Lake Afton netted the county $27,315 in revenue.

“I’m not saying that we can’t handle the event, because we can,” Sheriff Jeff Easter told commissioners. “But when you mix alcohol and everything else society seems to take these days in an event that could draw 9,000 people, we could have issues responding and maintaining the safety out there.”

Festival promoters A Production Company, LLC, did not immediately respond to questions about a possible venue change and refunds for ticket-buyers.

Commissioner David Dennis was sharply critical of promoters for including Wheeler Walker Jr., a country artist known for overtly sexual and expletive-laden lyrics, among the festival’s 14 musical acts.

“The entertainment should be suitable for families,” Dennis said.

CJ Wilson, president of A Production Company, said her company had already spent “quite a bit” of money to secure the musical acts.

“When we are choosing our acts for our entertainment, we choose to work with agencies across the nation,” Wilson said. “We don’t particularly choose acts that are our favorites but we do definitely look into them and enjoy them. [Wheeler Walker Jr.] is one that has a high ticket rating for the Midwest. People are excited to see him.”

Commissioner Jim Howell said he doesn’t want to be in the business of censorship. But because Dam Jam isn’t billed as an adults-only event, he had “a moral objection to seeing children put in this position.”

“I did a quick search for their lyrics, and I’m telling you, they’re X-rated. I couldn’t read them in front of you today,” Howell said.

The proposed contract with A Production Company that commissioners voted down Wednesday included a provision that would have allowed the county to reject specific musical acts commissioners deemed objectionable.

The Dam Jam 2024 lineup included a number of other popular artists, including Brantley Gilbert, Stone Temple Pilots, JoDee Messina, Ryan Upchurch and Demun Jones. The cost for a weekend pass ranged between $150 and $4,000.
    The contract says they had the authority to reject specific artists, but they use one artist as a reason to not move forward.

Personally, on something like this I think it is up to parents to decide what is and isn't appropriate for their kids.

And it sounds like last year they had fewer issues with problems arising than we see at Riverfest every year. So I'm not entirely sure what to make of the safety argument other than Easter feels it's too far out for deputies to have to drive if there's an issue they need to respond to. Which doesn't make a ton of sense as they're supposed to respond to things all over the county as is.

I will say Walker's lyrics aren't kid friendly, but they are enjoyable. At least a few songs I've heard in the past. I know I have friends that are fans of his. I haven't listened to much but I find the few I've heard to be humorous which is kind of how I think they're supposed to be taken. They're certainly no worse than WAP in my opinion and that was a mainstream hit. But again, I believe decisions like that should be left to parents, not government.

I wish the area had more festivals like this that brings in a number of musical acts for people to have a good time. I think running them off for fear of something that may or may not happen isn't a good look. Someone in this article was quoted as saying El Dorado Lake/El Dorado/Butler Coutny (not sure who they were talking about) wouldn't let them back because of issues that occurred at the last one there, but the only thing I can find on why they switched from El Dorado Lake to Lake Afton had to do with new regulations of some such about State Parks/Lakes that prevented El Dorado Lake from hosting any further. So not sure what to make of that.

I've never attended one of these, but have had friends who have gone, and outside of a reportedly drunk artist that ruined their set because they couldn't sing or remember their lyrics once, they've enjoyed their experiences at these events.

I think it's a shame that Sedgwick County so easily denies a festival like this that brings in some pretty big names. Even if they denied Walker, artists like Brantley Gilbert, JoDee Messina, Ryan Upchurch, and the Stone Temple Pilots are pretty big gets. I believe Gilbert and Upchurch are still pretty relevant today. STP is pretty legendary for those that grew up around the same time as me. They've been doing it for a real long time. JoDee Messina is a legend. I'm not sure how active she is with new music as I don't follow all of that too closely. And that's only about half of who would be there.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• HPPR - Kansas lawmakers are allowing a 93% pay raise for themselves to take effect next year

Kansas is set to nearly double state legislators' pay at the start of next year, making their compensation better than it is for their counterparts in a majority of states, including more populous ones like Georgia and Texas.

The increase is nearly $28,000 a year for rank-and-file legislators, boosting their total compensation from $30,000 to nearly $58,000, an increase of 93%. Legislative leaders get additional payments because of their duties, and the House speaker and Senate president are set to make more than $85,000 a year, up from $44,000.

The pay increase appeared to have bipartisan support, though lawmakers never voted directly on it. Instead, they set up a bipartisan pay commission last year, with its proposal taking effect unless both legislative chambers passed a resolution rejecting it by Wednesday. An effort to force a debate in the Senate failed last week, and there was no such move in the House.

Some Kansas legislators have complained for years that their annual compensation of $30,000 isn't enough to live on year-round, while their duties as lawmakers cut into outside work or even prevent them from holding down other jobs. Supporters of the pay increase say it is likely to make the Legislature more diverse when it's in danger of becoming mostly retirees and wealthy people.
      This seems a little ridiculous and insanely excessive.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Not good in my opinion

Eagle - Sedgwick County nixes music festival at Lake Afton, citing public safety, vulgar artist

The contract says they had the authority to reject specific artists, but they use one artist as a reason to not move forward.

Personally, on something like this I think it is up to parents to decide what is and isn't appropriate for their kids.

And it sounds like last year they had fewer issues with problems arising than we see at Riverfest every year. So I'm not entirely sure what to make of the safety argument other than Easter feels it's too far out for deputies to have to drive if there's an issue they need to respond to. Which doesn't make a ton of sense as they're supposed to respond to things all over the county as is.

I will say Walker's lyrics aren't kid friendly, but they are enjoyable. At least a few songs I've heard in the past. I know I have friends that are fans of his. I haven't listened to much but I find the few I've heard to be humorous which is kind of how I think they're supposed to be taken. They're certainly no worse than WAP in my opinion and that was a mainstream hit. But again, I believe decisions like that should be left to parents, not government.

I wish the area had more festivals like this that brings in a number of musical acts for people to have a good time. I think running them off for fear of something that may or may not happen isn't a good look. Someone in this article was quoted as saying El Dorado Lake/El Dorado/Butler Coutny (not sure who they were talking about) wouldn't let them back because of issues that occurred at the last one there, but the only thing I can find on why they switched from El Dorado Lake to Lake Afton had to do with new regulations of some such about State Parks/Lakes that prevented El Dorado Lake from hosting any further. So not sure what to make of that.

I've never attended one of these, but have had friends who have gone, and outside of a reportedly drunk artist that ruined their set because they couldn't sing or remember their lyrics once, they've enjoyed their experiences at these events.

I think it's a shame that Sedgwick County so easily denies a festival like this that brings in some pretty big names. Even if they denied Walker, artists like Brantley Gilbert, JoDee Messina, Ryan Upchurch, and the Stone Temple Pilots are pretty big gets. I believe Gilbert and Upchurch are still pretty relevant today. STP is pretty legendary for those that grew up around the same time as me. They've been doing it for a real long time. JoDee Messina is a legend. I'm not sure how active she is with new music as I don't follow all of that too closely. And that's only about half of who would be there.
        I would have been tempted to go see STP.

Comment

Insane is correct, but they don’t care. It just show that government at all levels is corrupt.

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Insane is correct, but they don’t care. It just show that government at all levels is corrupt.
            Correct. And I refuse to buy their "it helps more people be a part of the process, and not just the retired and wealthy". Bullshit. If you make that argument as a current legislator, then agree to NOT take the pay raise until you leave office.

****ing hypocrites.

Actually, that should be a Constitutional Amendment. No government official can vote themselves any kind of pay increase. If they do, it does not go into affect until the next person takes their position. That's an awesome idea. Would pass 48+ states.

Comment

• What wasn't in the article is that they haven't had a pay raise in 15 years. So that's going to make a way overdue catch up look really bad.

That said $30,000 in todays dollars is $42,000, so they are way overshooting by more than double ($16k over) the inflation adjusted equivalence. They need to justify why they are bumping it by $28k, not the expected $12k.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Correct. And I refuse to buy their "it helps more people be a part of the process, and not just the retired and wealthy". Bullshit. If you make that argument as a current legislator, then agree to NOT take the pay raise until you leave office.

****ing hypocrites.

Actually, that should be a Constitutional Amendment. No government official can vote themselves any kind of pay increase. If they do, it does not go into affect until the next person takes their position. That's an awesome idea. Would pass 48+ states.
                Do they get per diem while in session as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Do they get per diem while in session as well?
                  $166 per day while in session. They certainly have to stay somewhere (assuming they don't live close and most don't) so that's not going to be a big windfall.

Comment

$166 per day while in session. They certainly have to stay somewhere (assuming they don't live close and most don't) so that's not going to be a big windfall.
                    You'd be surprised how far one can make that per diem go. I see it all the time where I work and we're okay with that as it does incentivize people to travel for jobs. Though the ego's of those who tend to run for office probably wouldn't allow them to do the same.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

You'd be surprised how far one can make that per diem go. I see it all the time where I work and we're okay with that as it does incentivize people to travel for jobs. Though the ego's of those who tend to run for office probably wouldn't allow them to do the same.
                      In no way, shape, or form am I trying to defend the politicians, but $166 just isn't out of line at all, and it might be a little low. Any decent, workable hotel is going to be $100 a night (a quick search M-F in Topeka is more like 110-120 which will be 130-140 after taxes) leaving say $50 for food. You can argue the food per diem is a helpful benefit, but not much. Certainly you can eat on $50 a day, but when they are cramming all the work they can do into a day, mostly it's going to be prepared food. It will go fast. If you managed to pocket $20 a day for your efforts, you're probably not nearly as comfortable, rested or prepared as their colleagues.

Comment

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to defend the politicians, but $166 just isn't out of line at all, and it might be a little low. Any decent, workable hotel is going to be $100 a night (a quick search M-F in Topeka is more like 110-120 which will be 130-140 after taxes) leaving say $50 for food. You can argue the food per diem is a helpful benefit, but not much. Certainly you can eat on $50 a day, but when they are cramming all the work they can do into a day, mostly it's going to be prepared food. It will go fast. If you managed to pocket $20 a day for your efforts, you're probably not nearly as comfortable, rested or prepared as their colleagues.
                        I'm just saying I know a number of people who work for us that get less per diem and pocket a good chunk of it, but they're also willing to stay in places that allow them to do that. I stayed in Orlando last month and if I had per diem of 166 I would have been pocketing money without actually trying to.

But some people are better with money than others, and those in government generally aren't the best because it's not their money.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another move in Topeka that I would applaud should they get it passed.

KWCH - Proposed Kansas law could give small breweries more freedom

A proposed law in Kansas could give more freedom to small breweries. Some say the current law is outdated and hurts small businesses. Supports of what’s proposed in the Kansas legislature say not only would the change help small businesses, but customers would have more local choices.

More freedom comes with the opportunity for breweries to sell their beer directly to consumers. 12 News spoke with two Kansas breweries who say they just want a fair chance to sell their product.

“I think at the end of the day, this bill is going to make us all play on the same playing field. We’ll have the same rights and the same opportunities to get our product in the market,” said Riverside Brewery Owner Chris Arnold.

The current law requires breweries to sell to a third party in order to get product outside of their doors.
                          Anything that helps small businesses have success and compete within the market is a good thing, as long as it's not done by restricting others. More freedom is always good no matter what area of life it falls into.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - KDOT looking to replace gas tax

Each time you go to the pump, a portion of what you pay goes towards maintaining the roads and bridges. But as Kansans drive more fuel-efficient cars, fewer people are paying at the pump.

Because of this, KDOT is exploring what is being called a "road usage charge" or RUC for drivers. This program would charge drivers by the miles they drive instead of paying at the pump. This is the 24 cents per gallon of gasoline or 26 cents per gallon of diesel we pay for at the pump.

This could replace gas taxes as a new way of funding, but some people have other ideas.

"Electric cars obviously they're not going to be effected by the gas tax but they're still going to use the road. Maybe we need to start banking that into car registration, you know, just build in a road usage fee based on the weight of your car," said Jake Grube, a Kansas driver.

Most states already using a road usage charge are on the east and west coasts.

The Kansas Department of Transportation is leading this federally-funded Midwest RUC Study in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Transportation
                            I'm pretty sure whatever they'd choose to replace it with would end up costing us more.

Based on a quick calculation using the numbers per gallon in the article. I'm probably paying between $60-$70 a year in gas tax.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KAKE - KDOT looking to replace gas tax

I'm pretty sure whatever they'd choose to replace it with would end up costing us more.

Based on a quick calculation using the numbers per gallon in the article. I'm probably paying between $60-$70 a year in gas tax.
                              "Electric cars obviously they're not going to be effected by the gas tax but they're still going to use the road. Maybe we need to start banking that into car registration, you know, just build in a road usage fee based on the weight of your car," said Jake Grube, a Kansas driver.

There is far more "road usage" by the trucking industry and out of state drivers crossing through and then back through again on vacation than what the impact with in-state electric cars are going to have in the next 10 years. How do you handle that? I certainly do not want to pay for it.

Comment

• Here's something the Kansas House has apparently done that I think is a nice step in the direction of transparency if it is adhered to.

Fox 4 KC - When Kansas House lobbyists ask for new laws, their names go on bills

Besides a number and official sponsor, each bill now lists who asked for it, be it a lawmaker at someone else’s request or an individual lobbyist for a specific client. The change started in January.

It’s an unusual move for any state legislature. While at least a handful of states require lobbyists to list specific bills of interest to them in reports open for public inspection, the Council of State Governments knows of no other state legislative chamber that’s actually listing lobbyists and groups on its bills — not even the Kansas Senate.

“I’m thrilled to see it,” said Heather Ferguson, a Kansan who is director of operations for the government transparency group Common Cause. “It helps to rebuild some of the trust with the public in their elected officials and in their institutions and in the legislative process in general.”

In Kansas, House Bill 2527, which would rewrite laws on how the state sets electric rates, was requested by a lobbyist for Evergy, the state’s largest electricity company.

A Kansas Farm Bureau lobbyist proposed HB 2691, which would require utilities seeking to use eminent domain to obtain an entire tract of private land for transmission lines and other projects to pay the owners 50% more than fair market value.

In some offices and hallways under the Kansas Statehouse’s copper dome, the response to the new practice has been less enthusiastic than Ferguson’s reaction, though lobbyists won’t publicly criticize it.
                                Would be nice to see the Senate also adopt this practice.

There's a lot more needed to build trust and more transparency is pretty much always a good thing when it comes to government. Hopefully this continues and we see more action taken down the road to improve upon this.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X