Train Derailment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Like I said, I don’t know why it derailed. What I do know is that certain people will declare that the cause is “corporate greed” no matter the problem. It doesn’t take 20 years experience to know when someone has an agenda…and since I don’t know what I’m talking about, which one of my statements you quoted was untrue?
    Originally posted by wufan
    "I never said railroads couldn’t pay their employees. I said they couldn’t afford them, but as you mentioned, that had nothing to do with it."
    They absolutely can afford them. They just don't want to pay employees. Like I mentioned, look up net profits last year for the railroads.

It derailed because an axel got hot and started the car on fire. Once it got hot enough, it broke/melted the axel causing a derailment. These issues are caught by regular mechanical inspections of the cars. Less inspectors mean cars get inspected less. Also, trackside warning detectors should pick these issues up. I have no clue if there was one on the route or not.

And while the government made stay at home orders, railroads were exempt from that. We all had to go to work every day. The railroads chose to slow things down by not getting intermodal cars to the ports to be loaded. No cars to load meant the ports would be full. This was done in the name of profit. The government finally decided to intervene. Look up the surface transportation board hearings from last year. They blasted the railroads for purposely slowing/shutting down trains and not servicing customers.

Comment

Another train derailment. This one in North Dakota, involving 31 cars.

Comment

I realize it's North Dakota (but Wyndmere is in the southern region of the state I believe) but that seems like a lot of snow for late March. Is that typical for the area? Just an observation. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I realize it's North Dakota (but Wyndmere is in the southern region of the state I believe) but that seems like a lot of snow for late March. Is that typical for the area? Just an observation. Carry on.
          Don't know if it's typical, but the northern part of the country has had quite a bit of snow recently. Even northern KS has been in on some of the action. A couple of weeks ago I was in Iowa, north of Des Moines, and drove through a snow storm for about three hours on my way back to KC. They'd already had snow on the ground from a day or two prior.

According to this site it would appear that area generally gets between 6 and 9 inches of snow on average in March.

Last edited by SubGod22; March 27, 2023, 04:08 PM.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
          X