• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read it and weep Cold.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Asa Hutchinson is moving up the ranks of CB's Non-Braindead Republican Presidential Candidate list.

Arkansas governor blames ‘myths’ for ‘hardened’ vaccine resistance

“I go into these town hall meetings, someone said: Don’t call it a vaccine. Call it a bioweapon. And they talk about mind control,” Gov. Asa Hutchinson said.

Arkansas Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Tuesday he regrets approving a statewide ban on face mask mandates earlier this year and has called the state Legislature into a special session in an effort to amend the law.

Arkansas GOP governor says he regrets ban on mask mandates as Covid-19 cases surge

“In hindsight, I wish that had not become law,” Hutchinson said during a news conference. “But it is the law, and the only chance we have is either to amend it or for the courts to say that it has an unconstitutional foundation.”

The governor’s comments – a shift from his earlier defense of the measure – reflect the changing public health landscape across the US brought on by the highly transmissible Delta variant. On Tuesday, for the first time since February, more than 50,000 hospital beds across the country were occupied by Covid-19 patients, according to new data from the US Department of Health and Human Services. That number is more than triple what it was a month ago.

Now, however, Hutchinson has asked state lawmakers to amend the ban so that school districts have the opportunity to mandate face masks if they choose. He wrote in a proclamation calling the state Legislature into a special session that the Delta variant “has infected a higher rate of school-aged children and it is more contagious than previous variants of the virus.”

“There is an urgent need to enact exceptions to Act 1002 of 2021 so that public school boards have the flexibility necessary to utilize masks to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 in schools,” the proclamation said.

Arkansas' Republican governor thanked President Joe Biden for depoliticizing the federal COVID-19 response

Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas reached across the symbolic aisle on Monday to thank President Joe Biden for his efforts to "depoliticize" the country's COVID-19 response amid the raging Omicron variant.

The Republican leader made the comments during a conference call held by the Biden administration with the governors of several states to discuss the national response to the worrisome Omicron variant, which has sparked a spike in cases across the country in recent days and prompted testing shortages and delays.

"I want to thank all of the White House team for being such great support to the governors," Hutchinson said during his opening remarks, The Hill reported. "And I want to thank Mr. President — your address to the nation last week. Thank you for your comments designed to depoliticize our COVID response. I think that was helpful."

Last week, Biden outlined additional steps his administration was taking to fight the Omicron variant in a national address. In addition to offering a "stark warning" to the unvaccinated, Biden also offered a rare point of praise to his predecessor, former President Donald Trump.

"Thanks to the prior administration and our scientific community, America is one of the first countries to get the vaccine," Biden said during his speech from the White House last Tuesday. "And thanks to my administration and the hard work of Americans, we led a rollout that made America among the world leaders in getting shots in arms."

During the speech, Biden also applauded Trump's announcement that he'd received a booster shot.

On Monday's conference call, Biden and his White House COVID-19 response team attempted to ease worried governors who decried long testing lines and rapid-test shortages in several states where Omicron has exploded.

After thanking the president for his previous comments about increasing the supply chain on rapid COVID-19 tests, Hutchinson, who serves as the chair of the National Governors Association, also warned federal officials that the government's plan to buy and distribute 500 million free rapid tests could impede states' attempts to boost supply on an individual level.

Using the past pandemic as a litmus test for a politician's ability (or inability) to rise above the worst versions of themselves, I think Asa shows much promise.

He showed the ability to consider new information, reflect on his own potential errors, and remain somewhat cordial to his opponents, when doing just the opposite would have been more politically profitable. This indicates at least a modicum of self-awareness, wisdom, and plain old-fashioned kindness/decorum. All of which are found in competent leaders - something we desperately need more of in this country.

Comment

• Just when I thought the time off had resulted in progress.....

Comment

• Asa Hutchinson called it "offensive" for GOP presidential candidates like Vivek Ramaswamy to promise they'd pardon Trump after Trump's indictment

Asa Hutchinson calls it 'offensive' for GOP candidates to promise they'd pardon Trump

"It is simply wrong for a candidate to use the pardon power of the United States of the president in order to curry votes and in order to get an applause line," Hutchinson said on CNN's "State of the Union," reacting to an earlier appearance by Ramaswamy. "That really undermines the rule of law in our country that I have served my lifetime supporting, and it is offensive to me that anyone would be holding out a pardon under these circumstances."

Comment

• I don't know much about Robert Kennedy, but I'm intrigued a bit by him after what I just came across on Twitter. The New Hampshire Democratic Party is trying to get him to to cancel his appearance at a Free State event. The Free State Project is a decades old group of libertarian/volunteerists that actively campaign for less government intrusion into the lives of the people and have garnered a little pull within the state.

Mr. Kennedy responded directly to the tweet and called out the Democratic Party Bosses. I'm going to guess that he's not someone I'd ultimately end up voting for, and with the way the Dems seem to run things right now he won't even be given a shot at running on their '24 ticket, but I think he needs to be looked into a little closer to find out more about what he's about.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Kennedy is principled. Some of what he says is great and some seems kinda whacko. Not a likely voter for Kennedy, but I wish there was more of like minded people in politics.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  Kennedy is principled. Some of what he says is great and some seems kinda whacko. Not a likely voter for Kennedy, but I wish there was more of like minded people in politics.
                  Left of center, right of Biden. But any Dem will answer to the powerful nut jobs in their party.

Comment

• RFK Jr. would Get Along With John Heinz and Al Gore very well.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. wants a law to 'punish global warming skeptics'

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week

Comment

• run this guy

Comment

• As I have stated previously. Any Republican candidate will be given the trump treatment from the left. Even sports media. Absurd!

​​​​​

Comment

• Anyone watching RFK Jr Townhall on NewsNation tonight?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Anyone watching RFK Jr Townhall on NewsNation tonight?
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Jack Poso @JackPosobiec

DeSantis didn't do what he needed to tonight to correct his downward trending polls, no moments. Vivek clear standout, he is going to get a bump in national polls as more people take a look at him. Pence done

Comment

• RATING THE GOP CANDIDATES IN IOWA. Six Republican presidential candidates — Tim Scott, Asa Hutchinson, Mike Pence, Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy, and Ron DeSantis — appeared Friday at the Family Leadership Summit in Des Moines, Iowa. The event was sponsored by the Family Leader, the most influential social conservative organization in the state. The candidates were

Byron York @ByronYork

Rating the GOP candidates in Iowa. Scott, not so good. Hutchinson, terrible. Pence, bad. Haley, good. Ramaswamy, himself. DeSantis, best.

Comment

Working...
                                X