Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court possibly overturning Roe v Wade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    One would like to think Kansas would model any potential decision around those things, but can we trust them to truly do so? The voters said no.
    Sometimes the timing of a proposal is just as important as the content.

Our governor is a Democrat. She would just veto anything they pass until she got a watered down version of it, and then the minority party would just whittle away at it ad nauseum. A heartbeat law needs to be a constitutional amendment, not the promise of a weak-kneed, transient statutory law that we were promised to rely on.

She said this prior to the vote:

If the Value Them Both amendment is approved, the future of abortion rights will be in the Republican-controlled Legislature’s hands. Kelly says she’s voting “no” on the amendment. She said she’s expecting lawmakers to introduce new legislation next year, if it passes.

“I just hope that I’m here to modify whatever comes forward,” Kelly told reporters Thursday.
    https://www.ksnt.com/capitol-bureau/...-if-it-passes/
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      We absolutely have elected elites.

There's zero doubt we're headed in the wrong direction. The real question is HOW we change course.
      You missed my point. The Supreme Court members are appointed, and not elected. They have insulation from voters and are more beholding to others. That is less a Democracy than legislative Representatives who are elected every two years. I prefer to be allowed to be able to vote people into and out of office.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Sometimes the timing of a proposal is just as important as the content.

Our governor is a Democrat. She would just veto anything they pass until she got a watered down version of it, and then the minority party would just whittle away at it ad nauseum. A heartbeat law needs to be a constitutional amendment, not the promise of a weak-kneed, transient statutory law that we were promised to rely on.

She said this prior to the vote:

https://www.ksnt.com/capitol-bureau/...-if-it-passes/
        Everything the legislature passes in Kansas not only has to pass, and over ride the Governor’s veto, but it also has to pass the unelected Ks. Supreme Court Judges muster that in their opinion, it is congruent with our Constitution. They already, out of thin air found a constitutional right to abortion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Everything the legislature passes in Kansas not only has to pass, and over ride the Governor’s veto, but it also has to pass the unelected Ks. Supreme Court Judges muster that in their opinion, it is congruent with our Constitution. They already, out of thin air found a constitutional right to abortion.
          Are you saying in Kansas it is not far more difficult for judges and law makers to rule against/amend a constitutional law than it is a statutory law?

In Kansas the governor doesn't have veto rights over a proposed constitutional amendment. Both houses pass it with 2/3 majority, and simple majority by ma and pa, I believe. ABC am I even close? Maybe I am crazy.

Comment

Are you saying in Kansas it is not far more difficult for judges and law makers to rule against/amend a constitutional law than it is a statutory law?

In Kansas the governor doesn't have veto rights over a proposed constitutional amendment. Both houses pass it with 2/3 majority, and simple majority by ma and pa, I believe. ABC am I even close? Maybe I am crazy.
            Sorry I wasn’t clear. Since the Supreme Court stated that there is a Kansas Constitutional Right to an abortion, Basically, all laws that the legislature passes, from now on, that regulate abortion have to be approved by the Supreme Court (unelected officials) as Constitutional, in addition to passing a possible veto by a Democrat Governor.

The failed Constitutional Amendment would have left law making totally in the hands of the legislature and Governor if passed. Now the SC has a say in every abortion law. That’s why another Abortion clinic was opened following the failed amendment.
            Last edited by Shockm; August 18, 2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Since the Supreme Court stated that there is a Kansas Constitutional Right to an abortion, Basically, all laws that the legislature passes, from now on, that regulate abortion have to be approved by the Supreme Court (unelected officials) as Constitutional, in addition to passing a possible veto by a Democrat Governor.

The failed Constitutional Amendment would have left law making totally in the hands of the legislature and Governor if passed. Now the SC has a say in every abortion law. That’s why another Abortion clinic was opened following the failed amendment.
              You mean all "statutory laws" that the legislature passes from now on can be overruled by the Supreme Court. If they propose a heartbeat _constitutional_ amendment, the Supreme Court and the Governor can't do anything about it or overrule it. n fact, it would give the Supreme Court guidance in how to rule. A heartbeat constitutional amendment proposed in the State of Kansas would win.

Comment

While we disagree on many things, I absolutely agree with you that the Kansas Supreme Court is in effect issuing legislative decisions. They did it with their decision on abortion being a constitutional right in Kansas, and many years before with their decisions on school finance. When I voted on this proposed amendment, judicial overreach was one of the things I did consider. At the same time I cringed at the power I was giving our legislators when I cast my vote.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

You mean all "statutory laws" that the legislature passes from now on can be overruled by the Supreme Court. If they propose a heartbeat _constitutional_ amendment, the Supreme Court and the Governor can't do anything about it or overrule it. n fact, it would give the Supreme Court guidance in how to rule. A heartbeat constitutional amendment proposed in the State of Kansas would win.
                  Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

There is right and wrong.

You can rationalize your no vote any way u want. But the rural voters understood that is why they voted overwhelming yes. They understood that if they wanted to have say on abortion you have to make sure the constitution is clear and that the Supreme Court can’t make up rights.

Kansas had a chance to stand up for what is right and they did not have the moral courage to do so.
                    Got some news for you, there was only one side that was making up rights in the Roe vs. Wade issue...and it wasn't the current Supreme Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Got some news for you, there was only one side that was making up rights in the Roe vs. Wade issue...and it wasn't the current Supreme Court.
                      Who was making up rights? Honest question.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Who was making up rights? Honest question.
                        The 7 Supreme Court justices in 1973 who voted that abortion was a fundamental right in the constitution.

Comment

That is certainly a possibility. I believe it would take the pro-choice folks to file a lawsuit challenging other abortion restrictions. And we have a completely different Kansas Supreme Court than the one that issued the decision in 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            That is certainly a possibility. I believe it would take the pro-choice folks to file a lawsuit challenging other abortion restrictions.
                            This is probably right.

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            And we have a completely different Kansas Supreme Court than the one that issued the decision in 2019.
                            6 Year Terms and I haven’t kept track of how many Justice’s Terms have lapsed during that 3 year period, thus I would be surprised if it’s a completely different court with a Democrat Governor the past couple of years but it most likely has changed.

Comment

• This is perhaps, a sad consequence of the No Vote. It does say something about our society, that abortion numbers are now picking up in Kansas. When body parts, fingers, babies heart are starting to be formed at 15 weeks, and abortions are allowed much after that (I'm not sure what other restrictions, if any, besides parental notification there are up until birth now but maybe ABC can let us know). It's a sad thing, when a babies body parts can be "sucked up" by a vaccum when they are developing into a fully functioning baby outside of the womb.

"During the Kansas election, advocates for the amendment tried to convince voters that abortion would be unregulated and uninhibited in Kansas without the change to the state constitution, warning that Kansas would become an abortion destination in the Midwest. In effect, that’s exactly what has happened."

So sad.

Last edited by Shockm; September 26, 2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

This is perhaps, a sad consequence of the No Vote.
                                If you thought there was going to be any other outcome but Kansas becoming an abortion destination, you are delusional.

Comment

Working...
                                X