Olympics and lack of freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't care less at the time and I remain that way today.

What bothers me is the hypocrisy, especially in the media. ESPN celebrates her as if she's the 2nd coming. Yet they (and most media) will trash LIV golf players. What's the difference?
    Are they the same? Did those golfers renounce their U.S. citizenship to become a part of the LIV tour? If she was able to maintain her American citizenship and also be a citizen of China, I’d have no problem with it. I don’t see their congruence. ESPN and Media have plenty of hypocrisy. But they aren’t the same. I say go to China to live.
    Last edited by Shockm; July 22, 2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

LIV tour players are seen by the media as white privileged individuals who take blood money from corrupt leaders....so the difference is somewhere in that sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        LIV tour players are seen by the media as white privileged individuals who take blood money from corrupt leaders....so the difference is somewhere in that sentence.
        I have no idea what the media thinks. I don’t listen to media any longer. Many of them don’t speak the truth. These two things aren’t the same thing.

Eileen Gu needs to go live in China, which California is as close as we get to Communist China, so stay there.

Comment

Here’s the thing. This country was founded on freedom of speech AND freedom of association. Criticism of her or the LIV golfers by media or the populous is welcome, but NOBODY should be deported or government sanctioned for these actions.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Here’s the thing. This country was founded on freedom of speech AND freedom of association. Criticism of her or the LIV golfers by media or the populous is welcome, but NOBODY should be deported or government sanctioned for these actions.
            C'mon, Play Fair. China isn't that far away. How about the California angle I gave. Will the Constitution allow us to keep her there? According to some, the Constitution mentions abortion. Why can't the majority rule part of the Constitution allow us to ship her to the country (China) she criticizes the least?

Comment

With all seriousness for a moment. Everyone on this forum knows that this woman hasn't broken any laws (and in the past couple of years, we've had a lot of laws broken that weren't prosecuted. Additionally, many U.S. citizens have participated in the Olympics, for other countries (who have a historical bond with their heritage) even though they were U.S. citizens in the past, and that is all fine. The distinction is that other past athletes have been allowed to have dual citizenship, and China refuses any athlete to participate unless they denounce their other citizenship, does in this case, make it different, and her willingness to denounce her U.S. citizenship, and bow down to China isn't ok to me, and her willingness to be used by China for their publicity, and world media campaign is also a concern in my eyes, but again, she has broken no laws.

I think that in the future, we will see China for who they are, and they will be seen as the New Age Nazi Germany (if their people allow and don't have an uprising because of lack of freedoms), because they will care zero about human rights (they use slave labor to economically get ahead of America, Europe, and the West), they care zero about their people having speech, religious, and other freedoms, they are grasping influence throughout the world, but using our democratic systems against us, a little bit at a time, and they are building up their technology/nuclear capabilities, and militaries past our capabilities.

Nazi Germany, Italy, and Japan only used a short period of time (10 years or so) to gain any influences in the West, and the atrocities of the American Government (concentration camps, etc) were wrong, because there were very few spies in the west from those countries. However, China is set for a long infiltration period, and while most Chinese Americans are on the up and up (here for freedoms), there are and will be instances where they aren't. While we shouldn't blame all Chinese Americans, we need to be vigilant, and not allow China to take advantage of our freedoms.
              Last edited by Shockm; July 24, 2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                With all seriousness for a moment. Everyone on this forum knows that this woman hasn't broken any laws (and in the past couple of years, we've had a lot of laws broken that weren't prosecuted. Additionally, many U.S. citizens have participated in the Olympics, for other countries (who have a historical bond with their heritage) even though they were U.S. citizens in the past, and that is all fine. The distinction is that other past athletes have been allowed to have dual citizenship, and China refuses any athlete to participate unless they denounce their other citizenship, does in this case, make it different, and her willingness to denounce her U.S. citizenship, and bow down to China isn't ok to me, and her willingness to be used by China for their publicity, and world media campaign is also a concern in my eyes, but again, she has broken no laws.

I think that in the future, we will see China for who they are, and they will be seen as the New Age Nazi Germany (if their people allow and don't have an uprising because of lack of freedoms), because they will care zero about human rights (they use slave labor to economically get ahead of America, Europe, and the West), they care zero about their people having speech, religious, and other freedoms, they are grasping influence throughout the world, but using our democratic systems against us, a little bit at a time, and they are building up their technology/nuclear capabilities, and militaries past our capabilities.

Nazi Germany, Italy, and Japan only used a short period of time (10 years or so) to gain any influences in the West, and the atrocities of the American Government (concentration camps, etc) were wrong, because there were very few spies in the west from those countries. However, China is set for a long infiltration period, and while most Chinese Americans are on the up and up (here for freedoms), there are and will be instances where they aren't. While we shouldn't blame all Chinese Americans, we need to be vigilant, and not allow China to take advantage of our freedoms.
                What if she denounced her US citizenship and took on British citizenship. Would you feel the same? The reason I ask is because I’m curious if this is, to you, about China or is this about non-citizens in the US? -thx
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

What if she denounced her US citizenship and took on British citizenship. Would you feel the same? The reason I ask is because I’m curious if this is, to you, about China or is this about non-citizens in the US? -thx
                  America allows dual citizenship. Britain allows dual citizenship, which was part of my point. To my knowledge, there has been no other country that has required denouncing their American citizenship to participate for that country.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

America allows dual citizenship. Britain allows dual citizenship, which was part of my point. To my knowledge, there has been no other country that has required denouncing their American citizenship to participate for that country.
                    So your issue is with China because they won’t allow dual citizenship. Do you have the same problem with Austria, Poland, Ukraine, and Japan?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                    X