Olympics and lack of freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics and lack of freedom

I’m surprised our Libertarian friends don’t speak out about the lack of freedom of Speech that athletes have in China. That’s not even mentioning the fact that China has modern slavery within its borders. This is one of the worst places in the World to have the games who are based on the ideals of respect for people.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ing-games-2022

Do you want the few libertarians on this board to chime in on everything? Libertarians as a whole have been pretty vocal about the horrible treatment that goes on within China, but as a general rule, libertarians focus more on the abuses in this country and what we can do to change things here. We can speak about other countries, but it's really up to those people to enact change.

You'll find a lot of libertarian support for voluntarily choosing not to do business with China or bow to their wishes, but you're not going to find a lot of support for the US using external force to change anything. We have our own issues and battles we're fighting here. A better America can be a better role model for the world. But who are we to dictate the governmental choices of others? We've wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives and many more thousands innocent civilian lives trying to force countries in the middle east to live to our expectations and ideals when there's little actual support for such within those populations.

So I think you'll find that libertarians will generally support not promoting such regimes. They don't agree with the IOC choosing China as a host. They don't support the actions of the Chinese government. They agree with the administrations stance to not send diplomats and public officials to China for the games. Not sure what more you want to happen on this end. Do you want to US to completely withdraw from the Olympic games? That only hurts the US athletes who've worked their asses off to be where they are. Wouldn't it be better to send our teams over there and kick their ass and show through our character and ideals of what things can be like? To be good representatives of good humans? That may be too much to ask of some athletes, but I'm not sure what you're wanting from libertarians or others.

China has been condemned repeatedly and for years for their actions. The few media types that I generally see bring up the atrocities are libertarians, who also openly bash the NBA and others for choosing Chinese money over human rights. But that's for each individual and organization to choose on their own and if people have issue with it they can voice that support or lack there of with their words and money.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Do you want the few libertarians on this board to chime in on everything? Libertarians as a whole have been pretty vocal about the horrible treatment that goes on within China, but as a general rule, libertarians focus more on the abuses in this country and what we can do to change things here. We can speak about other countries, but it's really up to those people to enact change.

You'll find a lot of libertarian support for voluntarily choosing not to do business with China or bow to their wishes, but you're not going to find a lot of support for the US using external force to change anything. We have our own issues and battles we're fighting here. A better America can be a better role model for the world. But who are we to dictate the governmental choices of others? We've wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives and many more thousands innocent civilian lives trying to force countries in the middle east to live to our expectations and ideals when there's little actual support for such within those populations.

So I think you'll find that libertarians will generally support not promoting such regimes. They don't agree with the IOC choosing China as a host. They don't support the actions of the Chinese government. They agree with the administrations stance to not send diplomats and public officials to China for the games. Not sure what more you want to happen on this end. Do you want to US to completely withdraw from the Olympic games? That only hurts the US athletes who've worked their asses off to be where they are. Wouldn't it be better to send our teams over there and kick their ass and show through our character and ideals of what things can be like? To be good representatives of good humans? That may be too much to ask of some athletes, but I'm not sure what you're wanting from libertarians or others.

China has been condemned repeatedly and for years for their actions. The few media types that I generally see bring up the atrocities are libertarians, who also openly bash the NBA and others for choosing Chinese money over human rights. But that's for each individual and organization to choose on their own and if people have issue with it they can voice that support or lack there of with their words and money.
      I’m anarchocurious, which aligns me with a lot of libertarians. I agree.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I’m anarchocurious, which aligns me with a lot of libertarians.
        Gesundheit!

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I’m anarchocurious, which aligns me with a lot of libertarians. I agree.
          My "mental" picture of you is as a high school debater who carries a brief case, and wears a suit and tie to high school. I'm sure it's not a true picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

My "mental" picture of you is as a high school debater who carries a brief case, and wears a suit and tie to high school. I'm sure it's not a true picture.
            I look like a lumber jack.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Comment

I look like a lumber jack.
                A Monty Python type lumberjack or a Battle-axe Bill?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

A Monty Python type lumberjack or a Battle-axe Bill?
                  I wear plaid and cathartts and have a full beard. I’m pretty much the modern day right wing libertarian trope.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

And that’s ok.

You sleep all night and you work all day.

Comment

I think the snowboard ramp right next to the nuke plant and what appears to be several dingy steel mills is classy.

Go, China!
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I wear plaid and cathartts and have a full beard. I’m pretty much the modern day right wing libertarian trope.
                        You sure you don't have any cream colored masking tape on the bridge of your glasses, keeping them from falling off?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

... Do you want to US to completely withdraw from the Olympic games? That only hurts the US athletes who've worked their asses off to be where they are. Wouldn't it be better to send our teams over there and kick their ass and show through our character and ideals of what things can be like? To be good representatives of good humans? That may be too much to ask of some athletes, but I'm not sure what you're wanting from libertarians or others.
                          Oops, So far the only American to win gold competes for China, I guess kicking their ass isn't going as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post

Oops, So far the only American to win gold competes for China, I guess kicking their ass isn't going as planned.
                            We generally don't kick ass in the winter games, which is fine.

This has been a really hard few days (in a first-world-problems sense). I absolutely love the Winter Olympics, but so far I've boycotted watching them. And being the only one in my house who feels strongly about it has been difficult. I'm really torn between watching and not watching. I want to support our athletes, but at the same time, feel like the US and other western countries should have not sent their athletes. I want to condemn the IOC for choosing China, but my understanding is the only other country to put in a bid to host was Kazakhstan. Hard to blame them for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You sure you don't have any cream colored masking tape on the bridge of your glasses, keeping them from falling off?
                              I use duck tape and bailing wire to keep my cheaters together.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X