Minneapolis votes to abolish their PD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
    When I was with the WPD, I made several calls for service to deal with mentally ill people. The most vivid example was at the QT at Harry and Hillside. When we arrived on scene, there was a very large, completely naked, African American woman holding a bible to her chest with both hands looking up into the sky in the middle of a rain shower. She wouldn't acknowledge our presence and wouldn't answer our questions. She just stood there naked getting rained on mumbling to herself. Back then, we were the first to deal with these types of people and once we determined nothing criminal was done, the person would be taken by ambulance to St. Joe's to be admitted into their mental intake.

These types of calls were pointless to have the cops involved. We're not trained to deal with these types of folks and we just had to 'wing' it so-to-speak. I'm not necessarily a fan of defunding the Police, but there needs to be a new process implemented where a city has a program or department made up of mental health professionals who could be called out to these types of calls instead of the cops.

Do any of you remember that dude in East Wichita nicknamed Crazy Mike? I had to deal with him quite often and the man got a bad rap. The cops were called on him and he called the cops to assist him numerous times. He lived in a home between 21st and 29th streets off of Rock Rd, if memory serves me correctly and his home had plywood over the windows because teenagers would often drive by his home and throw rocks through the windows. He had placed large rocks on the perimeter of his yard to stop the teenagers from driving through his yard tearing it up. One night he called the cops because some teenagers were harassing him outside his house and I had a chance to make idle chit chat with him while taking his report.

Before that night, the only thing I knew of Crazy Mike was what I heard as rumors, obviously I had seen him around often riding his moped or hang around downtown, but that night opened my eyes about this man. Speaking with him, he was articulate and sounded educated. He told me he had a Masters degree and his parents were well off and had purchased the home he was living in for him. He stated he was just your average guy but things went south after college in his mid to late 20's. He never told me specifically, but I gathered during this time he was diagnosed as being bi-polar. He did not always take his medicine for his condition consistently. That would explain his mercurial behavior - if he was off his meds, he'd obviously act strangely but the night I interacted with him, he pretty much acted 'normally'. I can't tell you how many times we had to interact with Mike and for the most part, these were non-incidents that really didn't need police involvement. Just another example of cops being asked to be mental health professionals when we shouldn't have to be.

I haven't seen that man in a long time, I had moved to KC after changing careers in the early 2000s but when I moved back to Wichita in 2007, I don't recall ever seeing him again. I wonder what ever happened to him oddly enough.

Pretty sure Mike got locked up. He had the "vette before the moped.

You make great points.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Not to derail, but how much traffic enforcement capacity will self driving cars free up? Not to mention the DUI industrial complex?
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Lots of good posts in this thread. Most are easy compromises by rationale folks. It is true that cops aren’t trained to deal with mental health issues. The problem I see is that mental health professionals aren’t trained to deal with people, for which they have no mental health records, having a psychotic episode. When I worked at charter, a record would be presented to us doctor’s, we would review the medical record and recommend a medication. We would meet with the patient while the nurse prepared the meds, then we would meet with them to make sure they were stable for a period of days or nights.

Often times, the patient would oscillate back and forth between near catatonic to violent. The orderlies sometimes had to restrain the patient. There was always 3-5 folks in the area that could assist if the patient lashed out.

IMO, if a person is having an episode in public, the role of the police is to make sure the individual doesn’t hurt themselves or someone else until they can get treatment. You don’t want to send a psychiatrist and team of nurses to the scene, and paramedics aren’t trained for this either. Certainly, the police should be trained on how to handle this situation, but there is still a role for the use of force, if necessary, in order to PREVENT harm. JMO
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Pretty sure Mike got locked up. He had the "vette before the moped.

You make great points.
          We used to live in Waterford North. I didn't know who he was, but I knew his Vette. There were a few occasions where he flew through the neighborhood. I mean 40-50 on curvy residential streets. One time, I decided to see if I could find the car in the area. It was parked in the driveway of the house with the boarded-up windows. I didn't do anything, but I wonder who could/should have been called Shox The Revenant ? If I hadn't seen the house, I would have thought it was just another guy stupidly "showing off" his hot car.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Lots of good posts in this thread. Most are easy compromises by rationale folks. It is true that cops aren’t trained to deal with mental health issues. The problem I see is that mental health professionals aren’t trained to deal with people, for which they have no mental health records, having a psychotic episode. When I worked at charter, a record would be presented to us doctor’s, we would review the medical record and recommend a medication. We would meet with the patient while the nurse prepared the meds, then we would meet with them to make sure they were stable for a period of days or nights.

Often times, the patient would oscillate back and forth between near catatonic to violent. The orderlies sometimes had to restrain the patient. There was always 3-5 folks in the area that could assist if the patient lashed out.

IMO, if a person is having an episode in public, the role of the police is to make sure the individual doesn’t hurt themselves or someone else until they can get treatment. You don’t want to send a psychiatrist and team of nurses to the scene, and paramedics aren’t trained for this either. Certainly, the police should be trained on how to handle this situation, but there is still a role for the use of force, if necessary, in order to PREVENT harm. JMO
            This is a great post. No one disagrees that some calls are outside the police realm. The problem is who makes the decision that police shouldn't go to the call, a social worker is called, and they are killed. I haven't heard anyone who is in favor of defunding the police (they would call it redistributing money) in favor of social workers answer this concern.

The money that is redistributed won't be limited to social workers. Social programs like after school gym programs, etc. will be part of it too.

Our social welfare programs (social workers, foster families, group homes, etc.) are so successful, it will be a relief to see all of the success we will find when we start to have fewer police and more social workers, and group home programs, etc. Imo, it won't solve a thing and we will still see incidents happen where police abuse their powers on occasions because police are just people and a small group of them are not good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
              When I was with the WPD, I made several calls for service to deal with mentally ill people. The most vivid example was at the QT at Harry and Hillside. When we arrived on scene, there was a very large, completely naked, African American woman holding a bible to her chest with both hands looking up into the sky in the middle of a rain shower. She wouldn't acknowledge our presence and wouldn't answer our questions. She just stood there naked getting rained on mumbling to herself. Back then, we were the first to deal with these types of people and once we determined nothing criminal was done, the person would be taken by ambulance to St. Joe's to be admitted into their mental intake.

These types of calls were pointless to have the cops involved. We're not trained to deal with these types of folks and we just had to 'wing' it so-to-speak. I'm not necessarily a fan of defunding the Police, but there needs to be a new process implemented where a city has a program or department made up of mental health professionals who could be called out to these types of calls instead of the cops.

Do any of you remember that dude in East Wichita nicknamed Crazy Mike? I had to deal with him quite often and the man got a bad rap. The cops were called on him and he called the cops to assist him numerous times. He lived in a home between 21st and 29th streets off of Rock Rd, if memory serves me correctly and his home had plywood over the windows because teenagers would often drive by his home and throw rocks through the windows. He had placed large rocks on the perimeter of his yard to stop the teenagers from driving through his yard tearing it up. One night he called the cops because some teenagers were harassing him outside his house and I had a chance to make idle chit chat with him while taking his report.

Before that night, the only thing I knew of Crazy Mike was what I heard as rumors, obviously I had seen him around often riding his moped or hang around downtown, but that night opened my eyes about this man. Speaking with him, he was articulate and sounded educated. He told me he had a Masters degree and his parents were well off and had purchased the home he was living in for him. He stated he was just your average guy but things went south after college in his mid to late 20's. He never told me specifically, but I gathered during this time he was diagnosed as being bi-polar. He did not always take his medicine for his condition consistently. That would explain his mercurial behavior - if he was off his meds, he'd obviously act strangely but the night I interacted with him, he pretty much acted 'normally'. I can't tell you how many times we had to interact with Mike and for the most part, these were non-incidents that really didn't need police involvement. Just another example of cops being asked to be mental health professionals when we shouldn't have to be.

I haven't seen that man in a long time, I had moved to KC after changing careers in the early 2000s but when I moved back to Wichita in 2007, I don't recall ever seeing him again. I wonder what ever happened to him oddly enough.

Crazy Mike... tube socks pulled all the way to his knees, over-sized tinted glass, and 24/7 headphones.

I didn't know he took so much abuse. Every time I saw him out he seemed to be enjoying himself. Father was in medicine and kept in comfortable.

Schizophrenic I believe from drugs. The headphones were to block out the voices. Tinfoil on the windows for...? And I thought the rocks around his yard were for aliens.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/crazym...der&view=group
              Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; July 23, 2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I had forgotten about Crazy Mike. Largish city for a single unremarkable individual to be so well known. More people will remember Crazy Mike than will ever remember me.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  I had forgotten about Crazy Mike. Largish city for a single unremarkable individual to be so well known. More people will remember Crazy Mike than will ever remember me.
                  You need a 'vette! Stat!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...g-crime-stats/

Not too surprising she went against the grain.

schaaf.png

Comment

• This is great! I'll slash all my front-line employee's wages so that when I hire new replacements with the vaporized budget they will be better quality! Brilliant!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• More than 200 charged with federal crimes, 1,000 arrested in Operation Legend, AG Barr announces

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj...s-1000-arrests

Perhaps a small step but at least a small step in the right direction IMO. Since they are Federal charges I assume most will actually be prosecuted at least until the Dems takeover and dump Bill Barr.

Comment

• AG Bill Barr's Operation Legend Press Conference in Kansas City.

Comment

Working...
                            X