No announcement yet.

Black Lives Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The farmers I have known generally fit that description, from what I can see on the outside. I will say, though, that two families of custom harvesters I know do very, very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      The farmers I have known generally fit that description, from what I can see on the outside. I will say, though, that two families of custom harvesters I know do very, very well.
      There are certainly wealthy farmers out there. Those that have oil on their land and those that have a business model that relies on large scale specialized production do pretty good. So many farmers have a couple hundred acres where they rotate crops and several hundred more they put cattle on. They then have to have large amounts of machinery to own and maintain and they are dependent on their hours available to make a profit. Those hours are split more and more on maintenance and less on profitability.

The family farm has become a lifestyle choice rather than a business.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• The government helps farmers quite a bit too with subsidies - it's amazing how much some of them collect - https://farm.ewg.org/top_recips.php?...ionname=Kansas
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Crop farms have become a textbook example of economies of scale. Those with ample acreages do really well; those who don't are essentially part-timers even if those same acres supported a family a generation or two prior. I went to HS to many of them, and the ones with good amounts of land are basically modestly wealthy. They're not rocking brand new Escalades or S8s, but every member of the family of driving age could damn well have one if they wanted. The one's with smaller amounts of land have something else going on professionally to keep the bills paid.

I'm honestly not sure if either side should be subsidized. All businesses need to have a backstop in place in the case of lean times. I'm not sure why farms should be a protected species in this regard. The CRP program seems particularly like a government-run scam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
            The government helps farmers quite a bit too with subsidies - it's amazing how much some of them collect - https://farm.ewg.org/top_recips.php?...ionname=Kansas
            They have to ween them off.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Spot on with the "narcissistic idiot" comment.

I'll be the first to "admit" that I don't care for those that continue to draw attention to themselves by any means possible. I am more of a fan of humbleness. I also acknowledge that the world, especially those younger than I am (and that's most people) don't see things the way I see them. They clearly enjoy and want to see more and more.

I suppose we've done our part to create these self absorbed monsters, but I sure wish things would go in the other direction, at least a little bit. I do not see the value (and I'm fully capable of seeing value in all kinds of different and new ideas that don't necessarily agree with my point of view) in all this self attention.

I love the Olympics. I've watched coverage from beginning to end and I'll try to catch some of every event, especially track and field. I could have never believed that I would root against an American, but I will hope this hammer thrower fouls every time and that Sha'cari Richardson false starts out of the 100. Those 2 are completely unsupportable in my opinion.

U-S-A!
              You won't have to hope Richardson false starts at the Olympics, as she false started her drug test.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/n...olympics-2020/

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

They have to ween them off.
                I hesitate posting this article (I recall reading it last spring), but it does take away from reading about BLM which is ok by me. I know this is a serious issue with second and third generation farmers. I'm not a farmer, but have family and friends that are... life is a 'roller coaster' ride and many farmers are riding the Kingda Ka...

"In Kansas, the concern about suicide among farmers led the U.S. Department of Agriculture to create a special website aimed specifically at helping them deal with stress. KansasAgStress.org debuted late last year.

“The increase in suicide rates among farmers and ranchers is alarming,” Gov. Laura Kelly said at the time of the launch. “We must do everything in our power to curb this trend. The website provides additional resources and support to individuals and their loved ones. We must provide our farmers and ranchers alternatives to suicide. We must be there for them.”"

Seeds of Despair: Hundreds of Farmers are Dying by Suicide (flatlandkc.org)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You won't have to hope Richardson false starts at the Olympics, as she false started her drug test.

While that's hilarious (and no surprise) I'm stunned that cannabis is a problem for the doping association. Won't be shocked at all to see that overturned, shortened or overlooked before Tokyo.

But thank you for that heartwarming story.

Can I just add that while Richardson gets most of the publicity, another sprinter, Gabby Thomas, SHOULD be getting that publicity.

Why didn't she?

I believe the problem lies with us.....we give too much attention to chowderheads like Richardson.

Gabby Thomas won the 200 in the SECOND FASTEST TIME EVER by a woman.

She's a Harvard graduate who majored in Neurobiology and is working on her masters in Epidemiology. She's more humble than the 2nd fastest woman ever should be, she's polite, beautiful, well mannered and Faithful from all accounts that I've seen.

She's LITERALLY everything you should want to see in an Olympian, a child, an American. She should be a model for all of us, or our kids, or grandkids.

But people seemingly would rather see Richardson.
                  Last edited by WuDrWu; July 2, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      Oops. Not a good look. #totalfake

Comment

Like clockwork, ESPN celebrates Richardson's mea culpa and for taking responsibility (even though she can barely articulate her thoughts due to an incredible lack of speaking ability) and then brings on a troubled and damaged Ricky Williams to discuss all that's wrong with this ruling. Ricky was barely able to keep his eyes open during the interview (he's actually quite intelligent even though he's wrong about almost everything regarding weed) but pointed out why this was wrong and why everyone is just behind his enlightened view.

I love how they celebrate the 9 figure athletes (mostly minorities) who can (seemingly) handle getting high on a regular basis while ignoring the damage it does to everyday minorities who aren't making 8-9 figures playing professional sports.

Comment

• I don't have a problem, per se, with people who use cannabis. What I have a problem with are people such as Richardson who know damn well their career or their goal in life requires them to not use it, then they do it anyway and complain when they have to suffer the consequences. That is the most brain dead, idiotic, stupid, most unimaginable thing you could do. Don't feel sorry for her one bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            I don't have a problem, per se, with people who use cannabis. What I have a problem with are people such as Richardson who know damn well their career or their goal in life requires them to not use it, then they do it anyway and complain when they have to suffer the consequences. That is the most brain dead, idiotic, stupid, most unimaginable thing you could do. Don't feel sorry for her one bit.
                            In fairness (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I THINK from what I've heard, that Richardson has been pretty up front about accepting the punishment. Not that she's right, or wrong, about the whole thing, but it seems like she said she screwed up and will accept the punishment (even though she did give some excuses).

I've read SPECULATION only about how she might be doping anyway, but no factual evidence best as I can find.

My problem is with all the people defending her use of it....especially when she seems to accept the punishment. Don't these people have better things to do? We get it....you like weed....black people are demonized too often.......move on. Sheesh.

I'm like you, if anyone wants to use weed, whatever, I don't really care EXCEPT when they go to the taxpayer for anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Also, the **** stinks something awful and I don't want it in public places.

I realize many (if not a plurality) here like to indulge. So be it. You all probably haven't seen the utter damage this **** does to the poor and uneducated that I saw on a daily basis for nearly 30 years. The **** can be extremely destructive and provides very little to any upside. I realize it's not as bad as coke or a bullet to the brain, but is that how we manage everything these days?

Well, it's not as bad as..........kind of a shitty way to live if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

In fairness (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I THINK from what I've heard, that Richardson has been pretty up front about accepting the punishment. Not that she's right, or wrong, about the whole thing, but it seems like she said she screwed up and will accept the punishment (even though she did give some excuses).

I've read SPECULATION only about how she might be doping anyway, but no factual evidence best as I can find.

My problem is with all the people defending her use of it....especially when she seems to accept the punishment. Don't these people have better things to do? We get it....you like weed....black people are demonized too often.......move on. Sheesh.

I'm like you, if anyone wants to use weed, whatever, I don't really care EXCEPT when they go to the taxpayer for anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Also, the **** stinks something awful and I don't want it in public places.

I realize many (if not a plurality) here like to indulge. So be it. You all probably haven't seen the utter damage this **** does to the poor and uneducated that I saw on a daily basis for nearly 30 years. The **** can be extremely destructive and provides very little to any upside. I realize it's not as bad as coke or a bullet to the brain, but is that how we manage everything these days?

Well, it's not as bad as..........kind of a shitty way to live if you ask me.
                              You are correct. My issue is with all of the people defending her. Not necessarily her response. She does appear to be accepting of the consequences.

Comment

• Most of the people defending her, do so because they believe that it's a stupid rule. And quite frankly, it is. THC isn't a performance enhancer. Yes, it can help with pain and recovery, but so do a lot of other things that they do permit.

But she's been up front about breaking the rules and accepting the punishment. Props to her on that. You don't see it often.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X