No announcement yet.

WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROSK makes it sound like it was the WSU graduation instead of the WSU Tech graduation. The WSU Tech students aren't the same students, and not as political (I would doubt anyway), and not as ingrained in student life as the 4 year WSU student political organization. Their campus' aren't even on the main 21st and Hillside Campus, and spread out over the city.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

She had already visited campus and so I assume Sheree Utash had a pretty good idea of how the WSU Tech students responded, and that they would appreciate Ivanka speaking. That a WSU (not Tech) associate professor of underwater liberal basket weaving was "horrified and disgusted" should have no influence on what WSU Tech does. Less than 500 people (a tiny percentage out of the tens of thousands of students, faculty and alumni combined) signed her petition.

I had high hopes for Golden but he f'ed this one up, IMO. I think he has to go. He obviously doesn't value diversity of thought enough to stand up to the vocal minority and allow WSU Tech (which is supposed to operate independently) to control who speaks at it's own graduation.
      Thanks for the contexting. Contexting is your friend (and mine, too), but if you google this, note today's Kansas City (I know y'all like to call it that) Eagle's headline. It seems to coflate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        ROSK makes it sound like it was the WSU graduation instead of the WSU Tech graduation. The WSU Tech students aren't the same students, and not as political (I would doubt anyway), and not as ingrained in student life as the 4 year WSU student political organization. Their campus' aren't even on the main 21st and Hillside Campus, and spread out over the city.
        Thank you for the clarification. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Simply put, this is a complete failure from the top, and a shocking lack of leadership. This has been brewing (imho) for awhile. This was a bad hire with good intentions.

And I don't believe this is a lose/lose. The University needs a leader. They don't have one. They're about to search for another one. Get someone strong, who will lead and do so representing not only the current students, but all the other things that make this University, and the community that supports it, thrive.

We can do both, academia can do both. We can lead and nurture and foster ideas and create and learn about a variety of thought all at the same time. And we can do that, and sometimes possibly offend those around us, without losing the ability to move forward. But it takes leadership and we clearly don't have that now. And we knew we didn't have it when this clown spouted off time and time and time again about "enhancing the student experience".

John Bardo was far from a Koch conservative, but he listened, and he understood and he was extremely smart and he was a leader. We need to honor his legacy, and more importantly honor this history of this University and the city around it and find a great leader to fix what this moron broke. And it can be done, and it can be great for everyone.

We have some of the greatest entrepreneurial minds in the world supporting this University. I'm certain we can utilize their skills to find the right replacement.

Comment

It appears the 'new normal' will have the last word on this.

We have been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              This is very troubling and in the short term, at least, I don't see a victory for the university.

1. Fire Golden and deepen the rift between the university and students, faculty.

2. Keep Golden and lose important donors and support, and putting federal research dollars at risk.
              There are PLENTY of faculty members out there to be hired in every field.

Apparently, WSU needs to go all Eric Wedge on some of the current faculty and find the professors that have a championship mindset.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Have we really sunk so far, we can't have a Republican WOMAN, who has been working on workforce development and manufacturing, come and speak a Technical School graduation (in a strongly Republican state, mind you)?!?!

I GUARANTEE you, NONE of these people who signed this petition know: a thing that Ivanka has done, a policy she has pushed, what is she currently working on, or who she is as a person.

Since her last name is Trump, she is automatically a devil; no matter home many babies she may have saved from a burning building.
                Last edited by Shock Top; June 10, 2020, 10:10 AM.
                The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Have we really slunk so far, we can't have a Republican WOMAN, who has been working on workforce development and manufacturing, come and speak a Technical School graduation (in a strongly Republican state, mind you)?!?!
                  Maybe she was turned away because she's Jewish?

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Thanks for the contexting. Contexting is your friend (and mine, too), but if you google this, note today's Kansas City (I know y'all like to call it that) Eagle's headline. It seems to coflate as well.
                    Sorry, I thought the details were already well known. But I can see the confusion.

Comment

Dr. Golden should resign immediately and not waste BOR time. Provost Muma shouldn't be the 'interim' choice; he might be a 'good person', but he's not a strong leader and definately not the person to steady the ship in rough waters. I'm not sure of the current makeup of the BOR, but if necessary (if Golden doesn't resign), I'm praying they have the backbone to act quickly and decisively and remove him from office. This is a 'one strike and you're out' situation and will forever change the face of the university.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

According to Dr. Ray and President Golden: Not giving black leaders a voice is racist.

We must conclude then, that not giving Jewish leaders a voice is anti-semitic.

Dr. Ray and President Golden, are you anti-semitic?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          According to Dr. Ray and President Golden: Not giving black leaders a voice is racist.

We must conclude then, that not giving Jewish leaders a voice is anti-semitic.

Dr. Ray and President Golden, are you anti-semitic?
                          Or not giving women leaders a voice is sexist
                          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Thank you for the clarification. Greatly appreciated.
                            Glad to help out. I forget that out of towners don't really know how the present university is configured and how much it has changed from the past. WSU Tech has changed things even more.

Comment

One other item. I think that the student governing body should have an influence in their graduation, I don’t think the influence should spread to Tech although they probably want it to.

Comment

As a former SGA senator, I can tell you that they are just as worthless, if not more, than regular government.

Nothing more than a glorified resume booster.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X