No announcement yet.

WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there, or was there not, a live virtual commencement broadcast on Saturday, June 6, 2020 at which Ivanka Trump was to be the commencement speaker?

Yes.

Was she, or was she not, included in that live virtual commencement as the commencement speaker?

Nope.

Why not?

Because she was cancelled.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I agree with you that this became a no win situation (either the students would be unhappy or the bad publicity nationally would. It could have been handled better but I think cancelling IT was the wrong thing to do. Students should be heard but they aren't correct and succumbed to no matter what.

I would like to hear more specifics too about the cancel culture you are talking about. Please explain and make it more clear.
      Does it have to be explained?

People are calling for someone to be fired because of one decision they didn't agree with.

That's literally the exact thing that people hate about cancel culture. No discourse about how to make a better decision in the future... Just straight to I'll stop supporting you unless you fire them.

This is my last post on this thread. There is no changing of minds in politics let alone in an anonymous forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Was there, or was there not, a live virtual commencement broadcast on Saturday, June 6, 2020 at which Ivanka Trump was to be the commencement speaker?

Yes.

Was she, or was she not, included in that live virtual commencement as the commencement speaker?

Nope.

Why not?

Because she was cancelled.
        Ok.. one last one.

Kung Wu I respect you for how you handle the forum but I just flat out disagree. Here is my counter.

Is her speech or is her speech not, directly linked along with all of the other speeches / ceremony on the WSU Tech ceremony page?

https://vgrad.z19.web.core.windows.n...h/i/index.html

Why is it? Because she wasn't cancelled, she was just moved/reprioritized. Her message was never going to be live. The exact message you see in that link is what would have been shown during the "live" commencement.
        Last edited by Stickboy46; June 11, 2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          Ok.. one last one.

Kung Wu I respect you for how you handle the forum but I just flat out disagree.
          I appreciate it. I have disagreed with many of my Shocker brothers in the politics forum over the years, and I would still 100% buy them a beer any day of the week. I don't hold anyone with a counterpoint to mine with any disregard -- at least none come to mind. :)

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          Here is my counter.

Is her speech or is her speech not, directly linked along with all of the other speeches / ceremony on the WSU Tech ceremony page?

Why is it? Because she wasn't cancelled, she was just moved/reprioritized.
          Yes there is a link to it at the bottom, but it is NOT in the commencement video. And it is NOT the commencement speech.

It was going to be. But it's not. Because she was cancelled.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I appreciate it. I have disagreed with many of my Shocker brothers in the politics forum over the years, and I would still 100% buy them a beer any day of the week. I don't hold anyone with a counterpoint to mine with any disregard -- at least none come to mind. :)

Yes there is a link to it at the bottom, but it is NOT in the commencement video. And it is NOT the commencement speech.

It was going to be. But it's not. Because she was cancelled.
            Agree to disagree. Cancelled to me means never happened or doesn't exist. Her speech exists and is available on the official page in the exact form it would have been if they just put it in the main video. The content is the same

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This is what students said in an Eagle article, regarding this issue. It's kind of concerning, I think.
              “The Trump name, regardless of the first name it is attached to, is a divisive political statement, especially during a time of incredible civil unrest in our country.

This is statement I agree with. Her ***** father just announced a political rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa, the site of a brutal massacre of black Americans by the white establishment. Given the audience makeup of his rallies, it's pretty hard to misread that message. It's not quite to the level of the American Nazi Party marching in Skokie, but given the circumstances it's provocative enough to bring it to mind.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Does it have to be explained?

People are calling for someone to be fired because of one decision they didn't agree with.

That's literally the exact thing that people hate about cancel culture. No discourse about how to make a better decision in the future... Just straight to I'll stop supporting you unless you fire them.

This is my last post on this thread. There is no changing of minds in politics let alone in an anonymous forum.
                I think you are incorrect. People are asking that he be removed due to a lack of critical thinking skills necessary for a position at that level. It’s not about Ivanka per se (though she is extremely high profile) but rather the manner in which he handled the situation. He kow-towed to a group of students and faculty rather than honoring diversity of thought and welcoming a guest speaker that his administration invited.
                He has set an embarrassing administrative precedent, upset donors, created a divisive environment, and possibly crippled donations at a very financially strained period in our time. He failed to provide any leadership when just a modicum of leadership was needed

It is hard to imagine it being handled any worse.

What’s he planning to do to right the ship on the progress mapped out by John Bardo.

Comment

• Goldilocks definitely poked the Silent Majority in the ol' arsehole on this one. It appears he will live to fight another day consuming all nine of his lives in the process. If I were him I'd roll out the red carpet for a Candice Owens or Ben Shapiro with the quickness. He's on strike 2.99 at the bottom of the 9th.

https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/...ative-Speakers

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

This is statement I agree with. Her ***** father just announced a political rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa, the site of a brutal massacre of black Americans by the white establishment. Given the audience makeup of his rallies, it's pretty hard to misread that message. It's not quite to the level of the American Nazi Party marching in Skokie, but given the circumstances it's provocative enough to bring it to mind.

Jonathan Haidt would call that response, “catastrophising”
                    Livin the dream

Comment

That Tulsa massacre was beyond terrible. I don’t expect Golden to emulate the President’s decisions, but we understand his agenda which is political. What is Golden’s agenda?

Comment

She was a freaking KEYNOTE SPEAKER at CES 2020 for poop's sake. That is the epicenter of global consumer technology showcases -- where the best companies and startups from around the globe come together and show the world what's in the works.

Dr Ray and President Golden have some serious explaining to do; as to how a Jewish, female keynote speaker at CES 2020 and senior advisor to the President of the United States is not the absolute perfect candidate for a graduation ceremony at WSU Tech.

I'm listening.
                        I find it almost impossible to believe that her life experience is remotely similar to that of the graduates of WSU tech.

Not to say she hasn’t worked hard and faced her own unique challenges or even that she’s the wrong person to deliver a speech at this particular event. “Absolute perfect candidate”? I personally do not think so.

Then again, it may also depend on each individual’s idea of the purpose of a graduation speech. To me, it seems like it should be, “I was once where you are sitting, now look at me. Anything is possible.” Maybe to others it’s just “she’s famous and spoke at CES. Cool.”

Comment

Her ***** father has secured a lethal percentage of the black vote my friend. Maybe turn MSDNC off for a second or two so you can actually allow your brain to have a chance to restart and develop original thoughts. Thank God for the autonomic nervous system amiright?

Yeah, Trump is a racist.

T

Comment

• Mrs. Carney has a message. Reading the comments to the post, it's remarkable how many people wrongly associate WHO is giving the speech as the reason why Ivanka was cancelled rather than focusing on the real issue; free speech and being tolerant and open minded.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Jonathan Haidt would call that response, “catastrophising”
                              If I had said "There will be riots and bloodshed because of this" I would agree with him. I just stated what I believe to be a pretty obvious fact: It's provocative and meant to be so.

Haidt would more likely apply "catastrophising" to those clutching pearls over bogus free speech arguments and predicting the impending death of WSU and relocation of the Innovation Campus idea now that Golden has been retained. The WSU College Republicans have, unsolicited, outlined in full Golden's commitment to free speech and welcoming of conservative speakers and thought on campus. Look at all the evidence, please, not just one incident.

My take: What you're seeing here is that some donors didn't like him either personally or professionally. They saw that this issue played directly into a beloved conservative chestnut (To wit: Most colleges are liberal enclaves that work tirelessly to suppress right-wing thought in outlandishly hypocritical ways) and tried to use it as a weapon to eliminate him. The Eagle's line about conservatives being "triggered" was especially apt. Steve Clark shot his shot, but he missed Golden and may have wounded WSU instead. Time will tell on that last bit.
                              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                                Mrs. Carney has a message. Reading the comments to the post, it's remarkable how many people wrongly associate WHO is giving the speech as the reason why Ivanka was cancelled rather than focusing on the real issue; free speech and being tolerant and open minded.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                                Hear, Hear!

Love the Carney's! There's more substance, sacrifice, and contribution to this country from that one family than the entire Snowflake Nation.

T

Comment

Working...
                                X