No announcement yet.

Anthropogenic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This definitely falls into an all of the above category. I like the resourcefulness.

Spain's Olive Oil Producers Turn Tons of Their Pits into Fuel - For homes, Planes and Industry

In a rather unique story from Reuters, the Spanish olive oil market is profiled for what it can do to power Spain’s homes, not just its economy and kitchens.

Accounting for half the production of olive oil in the EU, growers are now getting to sell olive pits as a valuable ingredient for biofuel. Hundreds of thousands of tons of olive pits are now being consumed in Spain every year to heat homes, power oil mills, and even airplanes.

Pits make up between 8% and 10% of an olive crop by weight. During the pressing stage in the oil production process, the pits are squeezed out and separated before being washed and dried to create fuel similar to wood pellets used in certain domestic stoves, grills, and fireplaces.

In the past, cultivators didn’t have a good idea of what to do with the olive pits, says Pablo Rodero, an affiliate with the Spanish biomass association, Avebiom. Avebiom estimates that 400,000 tons of olive pits are produced every year in Spain. That’s a lot of material to not know what to do with.

“Now everything is used,” Rodero told Reuters. “Olives are like pigs: Nothing goes to waste.”

According to Reuters, the energy shock from the Russian invasion of Ukraine that caused domestic heating prices to soar led directly to a further development of the olive pit industry as a fuel product.

One-third of all pits are now refined to remove as much moisture as possible and sold for around 300 euros per ton, which equates to around 6 cents per kilowatt-hour for home heating.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Maybe I was just out of the loop, but this is for the weather nerds like me out there. I just found this website. Kind of fun and interesting to watch weather patterns this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
        Maybe I was just out of the loop, but this is for the weather nerds like me out there. I just found this website. Kind of fun and interesting to watch weather patterns this way.

Wow pretty stunning! Put in Orlando, Florida in the search bar at the top for interesting hurricane views. Especially the "Wind" view.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
          Maybe I was just out of the loop, but this is for the weather nerds like me out there. I just found this website. Kind of fun and interesting to watch weather patterns this way.

OMG. The "Waves" view in front of the hurricane is showing 30 ft high waves every 10 seconds. *gulp*

Comment

• Yeah. I thought the hurricane data was interesting, but I actually found it looking for weather info about the supposed cold snap we may or may not have next week. I've always been fascinated with weather in Alaska, probably because of the relationship between intense solar activity and effects on the North American jet stream and our own weather patterns here in the midwest. With my extremely limited knowledge of astronomy, I've just always been fascinated with our sun. Wish I had paid a little more attention in those classes at WSU. LOL.

Comment

• With all due respect to Former President Trump and everything he and his family have had to deal with I really wished the Republicans had chosen Ron Desantis as their nominee. But I guess that is Florida's gain:

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                With all due respect to Former President Trump and everything he and his family have had to deal with I really wished the Republicans had chosen Ron Desantis as their nominee. But I guess that is Florida's gain:

If there was a 5-run grand slam, that was its equivalent. Even Roy Hobbs didn't hit a HR that far.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  With all due respect to Former President Trump and everything he and his family have had to deal with I really wished the Republicans had chosen Ron Desantis as their nominee. But I guess that is Florida's gain ...
                  Outstanding! He and Vance might make a formidable duo in our near future!

Comment

• Toyota's portable hydrogen cartridges look like giant AA batteries – and could spell the end of lengthy EV charging (msn.com)

Toyota is showcasing a series of sustainable developments at the Japan Mobility Bizweek later this month – including its vision of a portable hydrogen cartridge future, which could apparently provide 'swappable' power for next-gen hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs).

Originally a project of Toyota’s mobility technology subsidiary Woven (formerly Woven Planet), the team produced a working prototype of a hydrogen cartridge back in 2022 but has since developed the idea further… and appears to be running with it.

The latest cartridges are lighter and easier to transport, with Toyota claiming the current iteration has been developed with the experience the company has gained in reducing the size and weight of the hydrogen tanks used in its fuel cell electric vehicles.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Company creates revolutionary new car engine with 'unprecedented' efficiency: 'Groundbreaking engine technology' (msn.com)

A Kansas aerospace company may be proving that internal combustion doesn't have to be a planet-warming concern.

Astron Aerospace has developed a hydrogen-burning engine that releases mainly water. That's right, it's a combustion engine with no heat-trapping fumes, according to a story on the tech from Interesting Engineering.

If the engine can be successfully scaled and adopted by motorists, it would provide a 60% efficiency rate that clobbers gas-guzzlers, which operate at around 20% to 40%, as noted by IE.

It's just a bonus that this is a Kansas company. This type of technological advancement could be huge if it plays out.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Historic fusion discovery removes major obstacle to limitless clean energy (msn.com)

Researchers have made significant progress in the pursuit of clean, limitless energy. A team at General Atomics, a facility operated for the US Department of Energy, has achieved a breakthrough in nuclear fusion that brings us closer to commercially viable fusion power. Their findings, published in the journal Nature, represent an important step forward in this endeavor.

Tackling the Core Challenges of Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear fusion, the same process that powers stars, holds great promise as a clean, sustainable energy source for the future. Achieving fusion on Earth, however, requires overcoming significant challenges, especially in terms of creating and maintaining the right conditions for fusion reactions to occur.

For fusion to happen, extremely hot, dense plasma needs to be generated and confined within a reactor. Plasma is a gas consisting of charged particles that must reach temperatures of hundreds of millions of degrees Celsius. At these extreme temperatures, atomic nuclei overcome their natural repulsion, allowing them to fuse and release large amounts of energy.
                        The dream continues
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• You should start an Emerging Technologies thread for these posts.

Comment

• Revolutionary engine has no moving parts and is more efficient than a steam turbine (msn.com)

Researchers from MIT and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) have developed an innovative heat engine that uses no moving parts, making a significant leap toward more efficient renewable energy systems.

The team’s thermophotovoltaic (TPV) cell converts heat into electricity with over 40% efficiency, surpassing the performance of traditional steam turbines, which have long been the standard for generating electricity from heat.

This TPV cell, much like the photovoltaic cells in solar panels, passively captures photons from extremely hot sources, converting them into electricity. The cell can operate with heat sources ranging from 1,900 to 2,400 degrees Celsius (3,450 to 4,350 degrees Fahrenheit). Such temperatures exceed the limits of traditional steam turbines, which rely on moving parts that can degrade at higher temperatures.

One of the main goals for the researchers is to integrate these TPV cells into a grid-scale thermal battery system. The concept involves storing excess energy from renewable sources, such as solar power, in heavily insulated banks of heated graphite.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Could be a massive leap forward for the EV industry

Major breakthrough could extend EV range to over 3,000 miles on a single charge (msn.com)

In the fast-paced world of electric vehicles (EVs), a major breakthrough in battery technology is set to significantly enhance energy storage capacity. This development arrives at a crucial moment, as the EV industry is experiencing rapid growth, making it an ideal time for such a transformative advancement.​

Researchers at Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH) have introduced a revolutionary technique that can amplify the energy storage capacity of batteries by an astonishing tenfold. This leap forward not only propels battery technology to new heights but also has the potential to reshape the entire landscape of electric vehicles.

Understanding the Role of the Anode in Batteries

The key to understanding battery function lies in the anode, the component responsible for storing power during charging and then releasing it when the battery is in use. In most modern lithium batteries, graphite is the predominant material used for anodes.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Electricity generated from solar energy at night using breakthrough device (msn.com)

While the idea of generating solar power after the sun has set may seem impractical, researchers at the University of New South Wales have found a way to accomplish it. They have developed a new technology that could soon be powering our homes at night.

Notably, the researchers have already tested this device on the Earth, and now they are planning to assess its usability in space as well.

Their technology works on the principle of thermoradiative power generation. This process capitalizes on the temperature difference between the Earth’s surface and the coldness of space. For reference, all objects, including the Earth, emit infrared radiation.
                                Sounds like a lot of possible avenues for this one to be used.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X