• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, you've got my attention!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Now, you've got my attention!
      10 minute charge and extended range would get me to honestly consider an EV when I'm next in the market for a vehicle. I know Toyota says they're a few years away, but if they achieve this, or others, it's a game changer for EVs as a whole.

I've said for a while that right now, EVs really only make sense for those that stay in town. They're not good for traveling over long distances as the charge times are just too much. I think I shared previously that I have some friends, who have friends that live somewhere in Colorado and travel to KC for Chiefs games. When they switched to an EV it made their trip about two hours longer because of the charge times. They were fine with it and knew what they were getting into, but that would be too much for me. I like being able to gas up in a couple of minutes and get back on the road. Unless you're eating a meal while you charge, you're just sitting around doing nothing. While 10 minutes may be longer than the three minutes or so it takes to fill up the car, it's not so great a difference that it's a turnoff. Especially if I'm getting close to twice the range. It then pretty much balances out.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'll never buy one on principle alone

Comment

• When the government quits paying manufacturers to produce EVs, and quit paying folks to buy them, and does not mandate them. I will weigh the odds and make a selection that works for me.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

It's not the first person to say this crap. Its almost like they are readimg a mad lib.

_________ (made up crisis)
              _________ (ailment)
              _________(non-white male or asian population of choice).

(Made up crisis) is having a disproporionate affect on the (ailment) in the (non-white male or asian population of choice) community.

Let's all play!!
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I do not know why in the actual **** we have a mentally ill person telling us about the affects of climate change on mental illness.

If Mad Magazine did this skit just 25 years ago nobody would have laughed because it was too stupid.

Somebody needs their ass beat for being such a moron.

Comment

• That's a dude. He needs help.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    That's a dude. He needs help.

Yet somehow, he's in charge in government.

Remind me again who exactly is a threat to Democracy?

Comment

• Nonprofit Diverts an Ocean Plastic Tide, Removing 2 Million Pounds of Trash From Waterways

The TerraCycle Global Foundation reached an impressive milestone last month, announcing that they’ve removed over 2 million pounds of waste from rivers, canals, and waterways.

Since its founding, the nonprofit organization has targeted ocean pollution right at its source—waterways. When polluted, they send waste directly to oceans, harming sea life and the environment. Over 1000 tons have been diverted and recycled.

And, because the Foundation is founded by New Jersey-based TerraCycle—a two decades-old company known for turning plastic waste into useful items for sale—none of the litter collected ever goes to waste. (See a link to their cool bracelets below.)

Operating in canals throughout Bangkok, Thailand, TerraCycle’s “world-class river waste prevention systems” are implemented with the local community and governments to address the complex challenge of collecting waste before it enters and pollutes global aquatic systems.

The Foundation is currently operating wildlife-safe river traps in Thai canals to recover waste directly from the water. The waste is then sorted, and plastics are separated and recycled.

“We take a holistic approach to reducing plastic waste in waterways,” said James Scott, Executive Director of the TerraCycle Global Foundation. “Our operations provide safe, stable employment for members of the local Lat Phrao community in Bangkok while creating cleaner and healthier environments for communities along the canal.”
                      I'm sure some of you can find issues with this, but what's not to like about a company going out and trying to prevent plastics from reaching the oceans. And not only do they collect and recycle the plastics, they're giving jobs to locals and helping clean up rivers that are used for other things as well.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Nonprofit Diverts an Ocean Plastic Tide, Removing 2 Million Pounds of Trash From Waterways

I'm sure some of you can find issues with this, but what's not to like about a company going out and trying to prevent plastics from reaching the oceans. And not only do they collect and recycle the plastics, they're giving jobs to locals and helping clean up rivers that are used for other things as well.
                        Nobody ever claimed to want trash thrown anywhere. Totally different than the BS global warming that so many believe in.

Comment

• Since it appears this thread has expanded beyond anthropogenic global warming to include other environmental and ecological issues I guess I will put this here:

Chicoms overfish, leave trash all around South America's waters -- and it's worse than it looks

China's heavily state subsidized fishing fleet has been trashing South America's ample fishing beds, depleting fish stocks and leaving trash all over the place.

The persistent threat of an invasive fleet of illegal Chinese fishing ships in Latin American waters is depleting fish stocks and impacting the regional economy, according to a report published on Sunday by the Spanish news agency EFE.

The constant presence of illegal Chinese ships and their consequences to the local fauna and economy have generated great concern among regional authorities, who are making efforts to curb the destruction of their respective countries’ natural resources. EFE’s report gathered testimonies from Chilean, Peruvian, Ecuadorian, and Argentine authorities.

The Breitbart report, taken from EFE. describes how little regard China has for other peoples' waters, dragging big industrial trawling nets through the coastal waters and scooping up absolutely every living thing in the water. edible, non-edible, and lots of waste. Do that a lot, and it doesn't take long for waters to become overfished and barren of life.

The report says that China's targeted countries include Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Ecuador, all famous for their seafood -- and not particularly powerful countries, unlike, say, Brazil. But messing with these countries is disgusting to hear of. Civilization developed on the continent itself through Peru precisely because of its fishing waters, and Ecuador's Galapagos Islands are well known for their unique flora and fauna found nowhere else on earth.

Number one, this is the result of China vastly expanding its fishing fleet in the 1980s after messing up their own coastal waters.

According to Paul G. Harris, writing for the Hong Kong Free Press back in 2002:
                          By the 1980s, widespread devastation of China’s national fisheries prompted the government to push fishers to set sail for far-off waters. China’s distant-water fleet has ventured to all seven seas, and the waters of more than 90 countries, fishing a far larger area than any other country’s fleet. The Chinese fleet comprises up to 17,000 vessels, up from only 13 in 1985 and more than five times the official cap on vessels set by the Chinese government. (For comparison, the American distant-water fleet comprises less than 300 vessels.)

The rise of China over the last several decades has been accompanied by adverse impacts on the global environment, ranging from plastic pollution and destruction of the world’s forests to emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases. The world’s fisheries have also suffered the effects of China’s rise.

Those fisheries are in crisis. According to the United Nations, almost 90 percent of marine fish stocks are “fully exploited, overexploited or depleted.” The global fish catch has been declining since the 1980s, coinciding with a rapid growth in China’s distant-water fishing fleet. That fleet devastates marine ecosystems, harms poor countries and creates insecurity.

“The Chinese government promotes overfishing around the world by helping to pay for the building of large long-range trawlers, providing fleets with forecasts of where and when certain species are most prevalent around the world, and providing tax exemptions and extensive subsidies, notably for fuel,” writes Paul G. Harris.

And of course, no one, not the pope, not Joe Biden, not Brazil, not the United Nations, not many places of so-called power, dares call these greedheads trashing other people's fishing grounds out. China says it's all in for going green, despite the statistics about its internal pollution, but they're the opposite of that and now they're spreading their devastation to other countries.

It gets worse when one considers that China is big on using its fishing fleets as spying operations. Obviously, they're spying on Argentina, Chile, Peru and Ecuador, and for military purposes, while leaving allied nations like Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil alone. The spying is likely with the ultimate target the U.S., so it wouldn't hurt if the U.S. teamed up with the damaged states and invoked the Monroe Doctrine, telling China to get the hell out.

Won't happen, of course, with Joe Biden in the saddle, he's probably compromised by China himself.

Comment

• Dam removal project in the PNW to ‘save the salmon’ ends up pushing the population towards extinction

Klamath Dam Removal: ‘It’s an Environmental Disaster’

The removal of dams along the Klamath River in Siskiyou County, Northern California was sold as necessary to save salmon – specifically, ‘to restore habitat for endangered fish.’

‘Drawdown of three reservoirs on the Klamath River is well underway, and this step in the dam removal process has already dramatically altered the landscape along the river in Southern Oregon and far Northern California,’ OPB.org reported. ‘Iron Gate, the lowest of the three remaining dams, was first breached on Jan. 9, followed by J.C. Boyle on Jan. 16. On Jan. 23, a concrete plug in the tunnel at the base of Copco 1 was blasted away. The reservoirs drained swiftly, leaving behind vast expanses of fissured mud the color and consistency of chocolate cake batter. The Klamath River is winding through the naked landscape, finding its new shape.’

It sounded good on paper – at least it did to the bureaucrats agitating for it.

But according to local officials, ‘it’s an environmental disaster.’

‘I’ve been around natural disasters all of my life, and I’ve never seen anything like this,’ Siskiyou County Supervisor Ray Haupt recently told the Globe. ‘The river is essentially dead, as is everything in it.’

Haupt was a District Ranger in the Klamath National Forest for 33 years, retired in 2010, and now owns a Forest and Natural Resources Consulting Business. He is a California Registered Professional Forester, a member of the California Professional Foresters Association, an Ag advisor for Etna High School and the College of the Siskiyous tech programs, and is an author of multiple Forest Management and Fire Policies for NAFSR, the National Association of Forest Services Retirees.

Haupt said the sediment plume extends 2 miles into the ocean. And he and local residents are witnessing a massive salmon extinction event [emphasis added].

Where once there was a river, now there is this:

Klamath Dams Down: Will Ranches Survive? Dam removal proponents claimed the project would help salmon, but steelhead trout are dead, and salmon spawning beds destroyed & four hydroelectric dams have been breached.

Hey, at least they had good intentions.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Dam removal project in the PNW to ‘save the salmon’ ends up pushing the population towards extinction

Klamath Dam Removal: ‘It’s an Environmental Disaster’

The removal of dams along the Klamath River in Siskiyou County, Northern California was sold as necessary to save salmon – specifically, ‘to restore habitat for endangered fish.’

‘Drawdown of three reservoirs on the Klamath River is well underway, and this step in the dam removal process has already dramatically altered the landscape along the river in Southern Oregon and far Northern California,’ OPB.org reported. ‘Iron Gate, the lowest of the three remaining dams, was first breached on Jan. 9, followed by J.C. Boyle on Jan. 16. On Jan. 23, a concrete plug in the tunnel at the base of Copco 1 was blasted away. The reservoirs drained swiftly, leaving behind vast expanses of fissured mud the color and consistency of chocolate cake batter. The Klamath River is winding through the naked landscape, finding its new shape.’

It sounded good on paper – at least it did to the bureaucrats agitating for it.

But according to local officials, ‘it’s an environmental disaster.’

‘I’ve been around natural disasters all of my life, and I’ve never seen anything like this,’ Siskiyou County Supervisor Ray Haupt recently told the Globe. ‘The river is essentially dead, as is everything in it.’

Haupt was a District Ranger in the Klamath National Forest for 33 years, retired in 2010, and now owns a Forest and Natural Resources Consulting Business. He is a California Registered Professional Forester, a member of the California Professional Foresters Association, an Ag advisor for Etna High School and the College of the Siskiyous tech programs, and is an author of multiple Forest Management and Fire Policies for NAFSR, the National Association of Forest Services Retirees.

Haupt said the sediment plume extends 2 miles into the ocean. And he and local residents are witnessing a massive salmon extinction event [emphasis added].

Where once there was a river, now there is this:
                              STUPID!!!!

Klamath Dams Down: Will Ranches Survive? Dam removal proponents claimed the project would help salmon, but steelhead trout are dead, and salmon spawning beds destroyed & four hydroelectric dams have been breached.

Hey, at least they had good intentions.
                              STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!!!!

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X