X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "you don't know, do ya?"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Typical. I love Kennedy he's always to the point and funny at the same time.

Comment

• Supersonic flight returning in the future under hydrogen power?

Hydrogen-Powered Swiss Jet May Herald Return of Supersonic Flight - And Cut Travel Time By 75%

A European firm is hoping to revive the dream of commercial hypersonic travel with a prototype that will reduce flight times by 75%.

Unlike several other supersonic startups that have come and gone, this is their third prototype, with two others having already succeeded in test flights, proving critical systems can work on a design that would allow one to travel from Frankfurt to Sydney in around 4 hours 15 minutes, or Memphis to Dubai in 3 hours 30.

Headquartered in Switzerland, but with a team of over 100 people working across several European countries, Destinus has received tens of millions from private and public funds looking to fund renewable innovation.

Destinus is now preparing its third prototype—the one meant to test the fuel systems, since for their design, sustainable hydrogen is the only reasonable option.

This isn’t due to a question of emissions, but a question of weight. Kerosene is much heavier than hydrogen, and if the machine is hoped to be able to reach across oceans with room for luggage and passengers, it needs to be as light as possible.

The design of the jet itself is very standard, and can be seen on the Concorde jet and hypersonic cruise missiles used in the large militaries of the world—a shape known as the “Waverider” because of its ability to “ride” the “waves” of the breaking sound barrier.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• 3 Damning Equations to Defeat Global Warming Zealots

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...#ixzz81VQngkSD

This is a pretty technical article that I must admit is somewhat over my head even though the author states this is presented simply enough for the general reader. And, at a very basic level I could follow the logic being presented. Assessing whether or not what he presents is accurate is above my pay grade.

Three devastating equations have emerged, each of which calls fundamentally into question the imagined (and imaginary) basis for the economic hara-kiri by which the West is throwing away its gentle and beneficent global hegemony. Power and wealth are passing inexorably from the democracies of the West to the communist-led tyrannies of the East.

However, the three equations stand firmly in the way. It is these three equations — simple enough to be explained here for the general reader, yet devastating enough utterly to destroy the official climate change narrative — that will soon lay low the enemies of prosperity, democracy, and liberty who have, until now, gotten away with undermining the West, no less from within than from without, by their childishly apocalyptic climate change narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            3 Damning Equations to Defeat Global Warming Zealots

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...#ixzz81VQngkSD

This is a pretty technical article that I must admit is somewhat over my head even though the author states this is presented simply enough for the general reader. And, at a very basic level I could follow the logic being presented. Assessing whether or not what he presents is accurate is above my pay grade.
            This is an extremely interesting article -- thanks for sharing it.

I have concerns about the second equation. It's accurate today, but there are new advances in energy storage that could change that equation substantially. It will probably take a lot of time for those storage solutions to become prevalent in a meaning way.

But that first equation ... man. SB Shock has studied control systems, he'll love it.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Microbes that Digest Plastics at Low Temps Are Discovered in the Alps and the Arctic

Microbes that can eat plastic at low temperatures, making them more cost-effective than current ones, have been found in the Alps.

Several microorganisms capable of destroying plastic polymers have already been discovered. As a result, businesses have latched onto bioengineering the enzymes found in various bacteria and fungi as a means to tackle plastic pollution.

But the industry has been limited by the need for heating since already-discovered ones require artificially high temperatures to work, making the process costly and not carbon neutral.

Now, the Swiss Federal Institute WSL found the most effective performers were two fungi in the genera Neodevriesia and Lachnellulam, which were novel and that worked at just 15 degrees Celsius, or 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

They are capable of digesting biodegradable polyester-polyurethane (PUR), and two commercially available biodegradable mixtures of polybutylene adipate terephthalate (PBAT) and polylactic acid (PLA.)

But the study went far further, finding a total of nine fungi and eight bacteria species from multiple genera that were able to digest PUR, and a total of 14 fungi and three bacteria managed to eat mixtures of PBAT and PLA.
              This could be a game changer in reducing plastic waste as breaking down the plastics will become much cheaper and easier to do.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Microbes that Digest Plastics at Low Temps Are Discovered in the Alps and the Arctic

This could be a game changer in reducing plastic waste as breaking down the plastics will become much cheaper and easier to do.
                So how many hours/days/weeks or years would it take a 5 gallon can of microbes to eat 1 - 16oz soda bottle?

Comment

• Are electric vehicles, and other powerful lithium batteries really ready for Prime Time? Besides being very expensive, difficult to dispose of, and without infrastructure to re-charge, they are dangerous. They don't require a "vehicle crash" to ignite. Are we only a half a decade away from doing away with Internal combustion engines?

Lithium-ion batteries caused an electric Wichita city bus to catch fire early Wednesday morning, making it the second time in a week fire officials have attributed a damaging fire to such batteries. The bus damage is estimated at $650,000. It’s a growing problem nationwide, so much that it will be the topic during a national fire convention next month.

Last edited by Shockm; May 17, 2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    The bus damage is estimated at $650,000[/B][/I]

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article275502066.html
                    They could have dumped all 650k in dollar bills into the Arkansas River and it would have generated the same $ ROI and resulted in less environmental impact. What a tragic misuse of taxpayer dollars.
                    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Are electric vehicles, and other powerful lithium batteries really ready for Prime Time? Besides being very expensive, difficult to dispose of, and without infrastructure to re-charge, they are dangerous. They don't require a "vehicle crash" to ignite. Are we only a half a decade away from doing away with Internal combustion engines?

Lithium-ion batteries caused an electric Wichita city bus to catch fire early Wednesday morning, making it the second time in a week fire officials have attributed a damaging fire to such batteries. The bus damage is estimated at $650,000. It’s a growing problem nationwide, so much that it will be the topic during a national fire convention next month.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article275502066.html
                      The tech is still early. Lots of problems, some probable upside. The environmental impact is negligible.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• I don't get it at all. Tax payers subsidize companies to invest in "clean energy" including electric vehicles. Then govt demand the public purchase them to reduce fossil fuel usage. But then the electric companies use fossil fuels to generate most of the electricity.
                        And by the way, if your planning on taking a 4 or more hour trip in one, take a pillow and blanket as you will be spending some time waiting for the damn thing to charge.

No people are not ready, nor is the technology. If a gasoline vehicle burst into flames for no apparent reason, it would be pulled from the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                          No people are not ready, nor is the technology. If a gasoline vehicle burst into flames for no apparent reason, it would be pulled from the market.
                          Gas (and steam) powered vehicles also used to burst into flames. Agreed tech is not quite there for electric and gov pushing it is silly.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

The tech is still early. Lots of problems, some probable upside. The environmental impact is negligible.
                            Incorrect. If you replaced all the gasoline cars/busses/trucks from a random major city with electric, you would notice an immediate large, not negligible, improvement in local air quality. The improvement in noise pollution would be even greater.

There still is legitimate debate over the ultimate/total/lifetime environmental cost of processing batteries vs. dinosaurs. It's clear we are heading in the right direction for the future.

Subsidies are bad.

Electric cars are FUN!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Incorrect. If you replaced all the gasoline cars/busses/trucks from a random major city with electric, you would notice an immediate large, not negligible, improvement in local air quality. The improvement in noise pollution would be even greater.

There still is legitimate debate over the ultimate/total/lifetime environmental cost of processing batteries
                              50 years from now when there's nothing but electric vehicles...The air quality is better than it has ever been LA and NYC. Yet there's so much toxic waste disposed of in Kansas that the average lifespan is 55 years.

If you're looking at it from a total lifetime environmental cost then there's no point in calling attention to the localized advantages. This sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
                              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

There still is legitimate debate over the ultimate/total/lifetime environmental cost of processing batteries vs. dinosaurs. It's clear we are heading in the right direction for the future.

Subsidies are bad.

Electric cars are FUN!
                                I was referrencing impact on global warming by switching to electric. If the goal of the conversion is for noise/smog pollution, they should state that as the primary benefit. All I keep hearing is that “the earth is burning”.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X