No announcement yet.

Anthropogenic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun fact, people dying from extreme weather events is maybe the lowest in recorded history, despite media.

Deaths by Extreme Weather and Aviation Accidents Have Never Been Lower than Now

Throughout the world’s newspapers, there is no limit to the printing paper they will use to explain the onrushing climate catastrophe, and no discipline or incentive to frame the situation in appropriate terms; namely global ones.

Despite doctors in Canada erroneously diagnosing a patient as suffering from “climate change” last year during a heatwave, the decadal rate of deaths per 100,000 people during extreme weather events worldwide has never been lower than it is at our present time, even as newspapers focus on the extremity of every heavy weather season.

Accounting for landslides, heavy fog, glacial lake outbursts, wildfires, heavy storms of snow, snow, and wind, droughts, earthquakes, extreme heat, dry mass movement, floods, and volcanic activity, the global average is 0.16 deaths per 100,000 people; the lowest ever recorded.

The unprecedented speed at which people are being lifted out of poverty, mixed with the rising of already developing countries in the Global South into an income bracket that can now afford things like air conditioning, means that those most vulnerable to weather events can now better withstand them.

The growth of heavy industries among the more rapidly developing countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria, India, and Turkey means that communities at risk for destabilizing events like earthquakes and floods can replace earthen foundations for concrete, thatched roofs with metal ones, and wooden beams with steel girders.
    Climate change hysteria continues to be pointless. The need to continue developing affordable clean tech is still an important and achievable goal to pursue.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      So I'm against all subsidies, but somehow am a fan of them? I also want subsidies removed from oil and gas companies but also acknowledge that will probably raise prices. I want an even playing field for all potential energy sources.

I'm a fan of people who are working to make cleaner energy more efficient and affordable. I'm not sure what that's a hard concept to grasp. I'm also a fan of government getting out of the business of picking winners and losers and that includes oil and gas as well as clean energy. It would also include them getting out of the way of nuclear.

Again, most people who are developing new and clean tech are doing so for the right reasons. Not because Al Gore says to do so. Most people would love to have cleaner tech so we have cleaner air and water around us. Not because John Kerry says so. Most people that want to see clean tech improve and become competitive want it because it will be better for everyone in the long run, not because Greta whatsherface is disappointed in them.

I couldn't give two shits about the politics of energy on either side. And both sides subsidize energy. They really should stop that for everyone. I simply care about the fact that there are good people doing good works to help move us forward so that one day we won't be polluting the air and water we use on such levels. I'm not anti gas and oil, but I can acknowledge that they do harm the environment around us and that we can do better.
      How many of the new Green Energy Ideas turn out to be Failures? Solyndra and other ideas were. This is just a few of the Failures of the recent past after 2009. Forbes thinks it smart to view these proposals with some forethought and skepticism because of past failures. After all, some people who have ideas, are in it for the money too. Solyndra happened in 2009 under Obama, and Biden. Some of the new ideas might be great, but Biden is pushing too hard for "green energy" to think he is being thoughtful with our tax dollars.

Remembering “Solyndra” – How Many $570M Green Energy Failures Are Hidden Inside Biden’s Infrastructure Proposal?

This isn’t the first time President Joe Biden has helped oversee a massive infusion of taxpayer dollars into “green energy” and critics doubt whether there were many lessons learned.

The president’s new $2.3 trillion infrastructure proposal includes the same kinds of “green energy” provisions that cost taxpayers billions following the 2009 stimulus bill – The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).

Recently, when rolling out his new American Jobs Plan, the president called it “a once-in-a-generation investment in America,” and asked Congress to invest $35 billion in green energy leadership.

Beyond the White House fact sheet, Biden hasn’t provided specific details, like who will get the funding, for how much, and for what purpose.

So, it’s a good idea to review recent history and take a closer look at the massive green energy projects funded by the Obama-Biden administration the last time around.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=34bceed32672
      Last edited by Shockm; January 30, 2023, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• What part of against ALL SUBSIDIES in ALL ENERGY FIELDS do you not grasp?
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

What part of against ALL SUBSIDIES in ALL ENERGY FIELDS do you not grasp?
          So all of the NEW Ideas you bring to us are researched to be not using subsidies? Are you skeptical? I don't get that "drift" when I read your posts. You're excited about everything new.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So all of the NEW Ideas you bring to us are researched to be not using subsidies? Are you skeptical? I don't get that "drift" when I read your posts. You're excited about everything new.
            I think he’s pro subsidy.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Shockm is definitely pro oil and gas subsidy.

Not all R&D is subsidized by gov't. A lot of things I share are developments in other countries and I have no idea nor do I care what their practices are, as long as their discoveries and advancements push things forward. It will be private industry that pushes us into efficient and affordable clean tech. I do say that as long as oil and gas is subsidized, that there should be a level playing field for clean tech. With that said, and as I've said multiple times throughout this thread, I oppose all subsidies.

I remember hearing Charles Koch once say something regarding subsidies that I fully appreciate. He opposes government subsidizing or otherwise rewarding certain businesses or areas. Someone asked him if that makes him a hypocrite because he accepts certain government funding in areas and his response was something along the lines of, he doesn't see himself as a hypocrite. He's a businessman and if his competitors are getting a leg up on others in their industry because government is shelling out dollars he would be an idiot not to accept and compete for those same dollars. Otherwise he puts his business and employees at a disadvantage.

So, if government is going to continue to subsidize oil and gas, clean tech should have a piece of that pie to help them along. I'd prefer government get completely out of the way as things will generally move faster when government strings aren't attached and they're not just giving money to friends or supporters.

I also feel like I've said this over and over and for some reason it hasn't gotten through to certain people. I don't think it's all that complicated to understand. I'm just going to ignore future replies that misinterpret and intentionally ignore the things I actually say. You either get what I'm saying or you don't want to get what I'm saying at this point.

Also, I don't know why people wouldn't be somewhat excited about new developments in tech or ideas on how to move towards clean energy. I don't care if that affordable clean energy is here next year or 20 years from now. Progress is progress and we won't get there if people bury their heads in the sand and say anything other than oil and gas is evil and shouldn't be considered because right now it isn't competitive. Getting competitive is a process. If it wasn't, we should just shut down Shocker basketball because it's not competitive right now so with that mindset it never will be. Might as well just save time and money and throw it at the things we know can be competitive right now. All funding should now go towards only Track and Field and Softball in the athletic department. Why bother trying to progress in other areas that right now can't compete?
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• If you don't find this at least intriguing, I don't know what to tell you. The potential here is endless and if it did become more widespread and accepted could bring down the costs for new houses.

And I don't really care about the carbon capture aspect, but that would make some people very happy and it doesn't hurt anything.

Making Building Materials Out of Fast-Growing Grasses Capture More Carbon Than Trees for US Startup

A startup looking to find better ways to mass-produce lumber for construction has swapped trees for grass.

It turns out that with sophisticated laminating and molding machines, the fibers of certain grass species can be just as strong as wood, but lighter, and orders of magnitude faster to produce.

Entrepreneur Josh Dorfman founded Plantd with two former SpaceX engineers. Their flagship product is a seemingly-regular pressed wood panel for homebuilding, but one that’s made from a fast-growing species of grass which nevertheless can absorb 30 tons of carbon dioxide via photosynthesis throughout its lifetime.

Capable of being harvested three times in a season, rather than once in 20 years as in the case with pine wood, the potential is there to drastically lower the cost of lumber for homebuilding, and increase the carbon-capture potential of the timber industry.

“We see the greatest opportunity to lock away the most carbon when we make a superior product than what exists today,” Dorfman told Fast Company. “And do it in a way where that end customer can still build exactly the same way… they don’t have to change in any respect.”
                The whole process is said to be carbon negative for those that care. I'm more interested in the fact that they can harvest and produce more material, and replenish it, with fewer negative environmental impacts along the line of deforestation, which is a concern in some areas. And since you can reuse the same land over and over, multiple times a year, you need less of it than the timber industry.

It's an intriguing concept and one to keep an eye on.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's another interesting prospect for cleaning up the seas and such from invasive algae blooms. Not only cleaning up the harmful algae, but being able to repurpose it into areas that it could substitute for oil based products. Time will tell how well this will work, but there is both private and public investment into it in Europe.

Turning Problematic Sea Algae into a Replacement for Plastic in Common Products

After a Finnish scuba diver saw how harmful out-of-control algae blooms could be to the marine environment below their green clouds, she founded a refining company that harvests the algae and turns it into all kinds of products.

Certain components of algae have similarities to petroleum-based chemicals, and this similarity allows for the replication of existing production techniques for cosmetics, artificial textiles, detergents, packaging materials, fertilizer as well as a variety of different foodstuffs.

Mari Granström enjoyed scuba diving in her native Baltic Sea, until nitrogen and phosphorous nutrients from fertilizers used in the farming industries, washed from the fields into the rivers, and then from the rivers to the sea, began to regularly create “eutrophication” or vast blooms of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae.

Similar eutrophication events were going on in the Caribbean, Granström learned, which choke the oxygen and light from the waters underneath the floating algae, and damage marine ecosystems in the same way giant volcanic ash clouds have damaged terrestrial ecosystems in the past by blotting out the sun.

Granström, a bio-chemist by trade, started Origin by Ocean (ObO) as a means to combat this problem and offer the world more sustainable products.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another potential breakthrough for hydrogen fuel/energy. This time out of Australia.

Researchers Can Now Make Clean Hydrogen Fuel By Pulling it Directly From Seawater - No Filtering Required

Researchers in Australia, an island nation, have successfully split seawater to produce green hydrogen without pre-treatment.

An international chemical engineering team, led by the University of Adelaide’s Professor Shizhang Qiao and Associate Professor Yao Zheng, were motivated by the fact that the only thing emitted by hydrogen fuel is water.

“We have split natural seawater into oxygen and hydrogen with nearly 100 percent efficiency, to produce green hydrogen by electrolysis, using a non-precious and cheap catalyst in a commercial electrolyzer,” said Professor Qiao.

“We used seawater as a feedstock without the need for any pre-treatment processes like reverse osmosis desolation, purification, or alkalization,” said Associate Professor Zheng.

The team reports that the performance of their seawater with catalysts of cobalt oxide and chromium oxide is close to the performance of expensive platinum/iridium catalysts running in a feedstock of highly purified deionized water.

“Increased demand for hydrogen to partially or totally replace energy generated by fossil fuels will significantly increase scarcity of increasingly-limited freshwater resources,” explained Zheng.

Seawater is an almost infinite resource and is considered a natural feedstock electrolyte, which would be very practical for regions with long coastlines and abundant sunlight.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another interesting possibility for oil wells that are no longer in service. They at least claim it viable. I may have to look further into this study.

Researchers Successfully Turn Abandoned Oil Well into Giant Geothermal Battery

3,000 feet below the Midwestern state in a geological structure of porous sandstone, researchers from the University of Illinois deposited excess energy as heated water which could be used to generate electricity in the same way that geothermal power plants function.

The Illinois Basin is ideal for oil extraction, but has no subsurface source of heat to produce geothermal power. The same reasons however that make it ideal for extracting oil make it perfect for a potential new method of solving the problems with renewable energy storage.

The Illinois Basin boasts the correct thermal conductivity for the deposition of water heated through excess renewable energy production from solar or wind. Minerals with high conductivity are sandwiched between insulative layers, creating the conditions for the water to retain its heat enough to generate electricity.

“Many of the same properties that make a subsurface rock formation ideal for oil and gas extraction also make it ideal for geothermal storage,” said lead researcher Tugce Baser, an environmental engineering professor at the University of Illinois, in a statement. “And because our test site is a former gas well, it already has most of the needed infrastructure in place.”
                      The study further reports an average overall net cost of electricity generation of $0.138 per kilowatt-hour, making the proposed system economically viable and profitable.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another way to potentially recycle and reuse old batteries and lower costs.

Old Batteries from Electric Vehicles Get New Life Powering California's Grid

A California start-up has saved thousands of used electric vehicle battery packs from landfills by diverting them into an energy storage facility.

BWU Storage Solutions made a million bucks last year selling stored renewable energy to the CA power grid, thanks to 1,300 used battery packs from Toyota and Honda EVs.

Worn out over long years of powering cars, the batteries nevertheless have continued use as a way to store excess solar and wind energy for times when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.

Over the next decade, millions of battery packs will need to be dismantled and recycled or will need a second use at a facility like B2U to prevent them from being sent to landfills.

Grid storage in large-demand states like California is a useful destination for these battery packs, and could potentially lower storage costs by 40% estimates the San Diego Times.

B2U’s Sierra facility has 25 megawatts of storage capacity capable of fitting any EV into their system. They are seeking to use Japanese investment capital to expand their operations to Texas and California.
                        There's a four minute video about it at the bottom of the article if you're interested.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This administration’s Securities Exchange Commission is pushing ESG Woke policies in Big Businesses instead of staying neutral. They are pushing banks to give large loans to companies and ideas that push their “Woke” agendas. Hedge funds like “Black Rock” are investing people’s money into questionable investments.

Check with your investments to see if you are investing in these types of things.

https://m.jpost.com/opinion/the-secu...ng-woke-665451
                          Last edited by Shockm; February 15, 2023, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• First of Its Kind Discovery in Mail: Vast Reservoirs of Clean Hydrogen Gas

In the beautiful West African country of Mali, a huge discovery has a town drawing a flammable gas from the earth that produces loads of electricity without CO2 emissions.

The town called Bourakébougou was prospected by Malian energy entrepreneur Aliou Diallo, who believed the mysterious gas which in the daytime shone with a blue color like sparkling ocean water, and at night like golden dust, could represent a fortune.

In 2012, he recruited Chapman Petroleum to determine what the gas was. It was 98% hydrogen. Months later, Diallo’s firm Petroma had installed a pilot unit to turn the gas into electricity that produced water as an exhaust product, and transformed the village into one with reliable, plentiful electricity.

In the decade since, belief that a potential inexhaustible natural energy source that’s zero emissions saw scientists and energy companies fly into action, scouring academia and the world for more information on underground hydrogen reservoirs

In 2018, a science team published a paper on the Bourakébougou hydrogen well, which concluded from evidence obtained from a dozen exploratory wells in the vicinity that it was “possible to confirm the presence of an extensive hydrogen field featuring at least five stacked reservoir intervals containing significant hydrogen that cover an estimated area well superior to 8 km in diameter.”

Furthermore, the study found that the current estimate of its exploitation price is much cheaper than manufactured hydrogen, either from fossil fuels or from electrolysis.
                            This is interesting, and it sounds like there's a possibility of more such reservoirs existing elsewhere. It would really bring down the costs surrounding hydrogen.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More innovation around batteries.

3D Batteries Printed Using Layers of Powder Use 40% Less Material, Charge in Minutes, Are Easier to Recycle

It seems like a new Silicon Valley startup could change the face of the battery industry forever by utilizing 3D printers to print solid-state batteries.

Solid-state batteries have advantages over lithium-ion because they aren’t flammable, they’re more easily recycled, work in extreme cold, and have greater energy density.

Solid-state batteries have traditionally been difficult to machine manufacture. But by using 3D printing arrays filled with powder, Sakuu systems can make these batteries not only using 40% less material, but in almost any shape the customer might want.

An electric bike could be powered by a battery that hugs a section of the central chassis, or a smartphone’s battery could run all the way around the frame of a circuit board. These unorthodox shapes are just one of the many advantages that Sakuu believe they can offer.

“Many people have built cells in the lab, but they have not been able to scale,” Sakuu CEO and founder Robert Bagheri told Fast Company. “Our vision started with that scalability in mind.”
                              Pretty cool that the seem to believe that it will be very easy to customize batteries for pretty much anything.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

More innovation around batteries.

3D Batteries Printed Using Layers of Powder Use 40% Less Material, Charge in Minutes, Are Easier to Recycle

Pretty cool that the seem to believe that it will be very easy to customize batteries for pretty much anything.
                                Vehicles?? Article really didn't say, did it?

Comment

Working...
                                X