Gender roles in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I get free speech and all, but why do this? Why even wear it to school? You know what's going to happen. I hate it when the right does this kinda crap. I don't like all the trans stuff either, but this is just petty. Especially using a 7th grader to make your political statement. That's the **** the left does.
    For an adult, perhaps your right that he is just being petty. For him, it's probably less about freedom of speech, and instead, standing up for his beliefs. I give a 7th grader credit for standing up for his POV. That's not easy in Middle School, and his parents are probably proud of him being willing to do so. Probably his Youth group in church (our youth group has these discussions) has been educating their kids on willingness to stand up for what's right in a "fallen world", and he's standing up for what he believes. That's harder than it was when I was a 7th grade adolescent.

What would you do ShockerPrez? Tell kids to keep his beliefs to himself and hide them from others? The left wears those shirts all the time in their schools and pushes their POV on the other kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

For an adult, perhaps your right that he is just being petty. For him, it's probably less about freedom of speech, and instead, standing up for his beliefs. I give a 7th grader credit for standing up for his POV. That's not easy in Middle School, and his parents are probably proud of him being willing to do so. Probably his Youth group in church (our youth group has these discussions) has been educating their kids on willingness to stand up for what's right in a "fallen world", and he's standing up for what he believes. That's harder than it was when I was a 7th grade adolescent.

What would you do ShockerPrez? Tell kids to keep his beliefs to himself and hide them from others? The left wears those shirts all the time in their schools and pushes their POV on the other kids.
      As much as I dislike the one way street in this regard, the fact is its a one way street. I'm strong enough to see them wearing the shirts, roll my eyes and know those people are a lost cause. Knowing the battlefield, why would I want my 7th grader to put a target on himself by these nutjobs? My only responsability is for the welfare of my kid. I wouldn't allow it. These parents obviously have different opinions on this and I heard the kid talk and he seems like a fine kid. But it plays like an attention grab. Now, I may be the coward and a reason that this crap continues to move further and further left, because I wouldn't be the person to pull a stunt to draw attention to this stuff. But if people don't already know what's going on, that's not on me. And my responsability is to my kid. And unless there is an incident or policy that directly affects my kid, I'm not going to let him draw the ire of teachers and school administrators for the next 5 years he's in school. The benefit is not worth it, to me. I as a parent should be the one to fight for my kid if necessary. At school board meetings, with teachers and admins directly, etc. I don't send my kid to school with a pithy TShirt to troll the crazies.

I would basically talk to my kid agree these people are stupid, welcome to Earth. "You don't have to play the game, just study and tolerate it, and you will be a stronger person and successful. These people will be whiny bitches and you don't have to deal with them soon enough. If you are told to do something you don't agree with or feel uncomfortable, tell me immediately and I'll deal with it. Outside of that, just keep your head down and try and get good grades. I love you."

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Goodness gracious, great balls of fire…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

As much as I dislike the one way street in this regard, the fact is its a one way street. I'm strong enough to see them wearing the shirts, roll my eyes and know those people are a lost cause. Knowing the battlefield, why would I want my 7th grader to put a target on himself by these nutjobs? My only responsability is for the welfare of my kid. I wouldn't allow it. These parents obviously have different opinions on this and I heard the kid talk and he seems like a fine kid. But it plays like an attention grab. Now, I may be the coward and a reason that this crap continues to move further and further left, because I wouldn't be the person to pull a stunt to draw attention to this stuff. But if people don't already know what's going on, that's not on me. And my responsability is to my kid. And unless there is an incident or policy that directly affects my kid, I'm not going to let him draw the ire of teachers and school administrators for the next 5 years he's in school. The benefit is not worth it, to me. I as a parent should be the one to fight for my kid if necessary. At school board meetings, with teachers and admins directly, etc. I don't send my kid to school with a pithy TShirt to troll the crazies.

I would basically talk to my kid agree these people are stupid, welcome to Earth. "You don't have to play the game, just study and tolerate it, and you will be a stronger person and successful. These people will be whiny bitches and you don't have to deal with them soon enough. If you are told to do something you don't agree with or feel uncomfortable, tell me immediately and I'll deal with it. Outside of that, just keep your head down and try and get good grades. I love you."
          This is why Christian Private schools (for those who can afford it), and home schools (for those who have the time to teach their own kids) are busting at the seams. Human brains aren't fully developed until later, and Kids aren't born with "values". A lot of parents want their kids to learn about good values at young ages, before they go into the world. This is why "School Choice" is such a big issue, and the "school Choice" movement is growing in America in Iowa, Texas, Arizona, Florida, and some other states. This trend will continue. Much of this happened because some Conservative Parents formed Coalitions to keep schools teaching Reading, and STEM subjects, and staying away from teaching "Values". There are Parents groups growing in Central Kansas too, that are paying more attention to the school curricula where their kids attend.

There are many law suits happening right now because of the "cancel culture" we currently have. I doubt that the parents of this 7th grader told him to wear the shirt, but they are very much supporting him in his fight against these liberal mores that the school is forcing on their kids. I commend this kid for being willing to stand up, and I disagree that it is an attention grab. You teach your kids your values, to not take stands for what he/she believes, and that is your right.

Comment

• MAYBE his parents had him wear the tee shirt to make a political statement. Maybe they did. And people hate it when “the right” is “petty” like this.

The left would have had his balls cut off well before 7th grade. And everyone on the left would have cheered.

Comment

• I have no issue with them fighting for the kid to wear a T Shirt if that's their thing. Great for them. Stand up to the powers. I just said I wouldn't have sent my kid to school in the shirt. He wore it for exactly this reaction, IMO. If you don't like kids and teachers wearing all the woke crap to troll us, the solution and the fight isn't to troll them back by having our kids return the favor, in kind.

For me, it's to put better ideas in my kid's mind that can never be swayed by crazy loons, and teach them to navigate the circus without going nuts and try to get the best education possible.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I have no issue with them fighting for the kid to wear a T Shirt if that's their thing. Great for them. Stand up to the powers. I just said I wouldn't have sent my kid to school in the shirt. He wore it for exactly this reaction, IMO. If you don't like kids and teachers wearing all the woke crap to troll us, the solution and the fight isn't to troll them back by having our kids return the favor, in kind.

For me, it's to put better ideas in my kid's mind that can never be swayed by crazy loons, and teach them to navigate the circus without going nuts and try to get the best education possible.
                You sound like it’s a done deal that your pre-teen/teen son will follow you. Kids often listen to their peers, and teachers, more than their parents. The kid from Massachusetts, isn’t following his peers. It sounds like at least, some of his peers agree with him, but not the school.

Comment

• Texas lawmakers pass law banning gender procedures for minors. Shockingly, the ACLU is going to fight the law. This fight against women, and for trans people that is a part of our culture is going to go on for years to come. Girls competing, and undressing in front of males goes against common sense, and isn’t going away soon.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...re-for-minors/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You sound like it’s a done deal that your pre-teen/teen son will follow you. Kids often listen to their peers, and teachers, more than their parents. The kid from Massachusetts, isn’t following his peers. It sounds like at least, some of his peers agree with him, but not the school.
                    Well, I'm lucky that my kids went to a public school that isn't so woke. I have gay neighbors, kids have had gay teachers, there are trans kids, etc. 100% know for a fact this is the case. But our district appears to not have the woke agenda as their goal. They seem to be in the business of teaching and providing an education 1st.

Comment

Well, I'm lucky that my kids went to a public school that isn't so woke. I have gay neighbors, kids have had gay teachers, there are trans kids, etc. 100% know for a fact this is the case. But our district appears to not have the woke agenda as their goal. They seem to be in the business of teaching and providing an education 1st.
                      Most school districts, especially around here, are like this. They don't make headlines though.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I get free speech and all, but why do this? Why even wear it to school? You know what's going to happen. I hate it when the right does this kinda crap. I don't like all the trans stuff either, but this is just petty. Especially using a 7th grader to make your political statement. That's the **** the left does.
                        I'd bet they allow gay pride, LGBTQ and BLM shirts, so why not?

Comment

It sounds like your kids haven’t been in schools for a while. Schools are changing quickly.

Comment

• I’m with ShockerPrez on this. Don’t USE your kids as political pawns. Not if you’re on the left or on the right. If you, as an adult, want to make a statement, then YOU as the parent should do so.

If your child wants to make a statement, STOP THEM. They do not have agency or the maturity necessary to appropriately make a political statement, nor do they have the ability to handle the backlash associated with such action.

One final related thought. We send our oldest to public school and our younger one to Catholic school. We are protestant, not Catholic. Catholic members of the congregation attend for free. Non-members pat $2400/year. The evangelical school in our area is $4800/year. Daycare was $6000/year. If you can afford daycare, you can find a private school in your area that you can afford. My 5th grader is doing the same curriculum as my 8th grader.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              I’m with ShockerPrez on this. Don’t USE your kids as political pawns. Not if you’re on the left or on the right. If you, as an adult, want to make a statement, then YOU as the parent should do so.

If your child wants to make a statement, STOP THEM. They do not have agency or the maturity necessary to appropriately make a political statement, nor do they have the ability to handle the backlash associated with such action.

One final related thought. We send our oldest to public school and our younger one to Catholic school. We are protestant, not Catholic. Catholic members of the congregation attend for free. Non-members pat $2400/year. The evangelical school in our area is $4800/year. Daycare was $6000/year. If you can afford daycare, you can find a private school in your area that you can afford. My 5th grader is doing the same curriculum as my 8th grader.
                              The problem with your idea is that the left will use kids to push their agenda of the day. If they are the only ones doing that, they will be influencing conservatives kid. If all of it was banned, that would be good by me, but I don't see that ever happening because we supposedly have a right to free speech. Or should I say, the left has the right to free speech?

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                Bishop Carroll for non-Catholics is 10k a year. Your point still holds true but wanted to provide another reference point on the cost.
                                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                                X