Gender roles in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the part about it being marketed to children. Per the article the event stated "This performance has adult themes and content. Admission is limited to patrons 18 years of age or over unless accompanied by a parent." Were they advertising on Nickelodeon?
    You don’t think that Santa Claus, Elves, and Reindeer are characters associated with children, and characters that draw children? I went to see “Elf” last week here in Wichita. It was totally appropriate for children to attend that event. From the written descriptions, these events had an agenda they were expressing, children were present, and these LGBTQ factions are putting out there that “Drag” is a natural part of life and appropriate for all to witness.

Comment

• My opinion is that Santa, Elves and reindeer are characters associated with Christmas and this was a Christmas drag show. Elf sounds like a family friendly event and not one that requires one to be 18 or with parental supervision. If parents felt ok with taking their children to the show that doesn't really concern me personally, I don't think the government needs to make parenting decisions for citizens.

I'm not really sure what an LGBTQ "faction" is but my understanding of a drag show is that it's pretty clearly a part of the LGBTQ scene, that doesn't sound like much of a surprise to anybody. If they hosted this drag show at a school, that would be a very different situation.

Comment

My opinion is that Santa, Elves and reindeer are characters associated with Christmas and this was a Christmas drag show. Elf sounds like a family friendly event and not one that requires one to be 18 or with parental supervision. If parents felt ok with taking their children to the show that doesn't really concern me personally, I don't think the government needs to make parenting decisions for citizens.

I'm not really sure what an LGBTQ "faction" is but my understanding of a drag show is that it's pretty clearly a part of the LGBTQ scene, that doesn't sound like much of a surprise to anybody. If they hosted this drag show at a school, that would be a very different situation.
        Keep in mind that this show was not available to anyone under 18 if they came without a parent. Therefore, this is not your typical Santa, Elves, and such.

"If parents felt ok with ____________________ that doesn't really concern me personally, I don't think the government needs to make parenting decisions for citizens."

Is there a "level" where one could fill in the blank and you would be concerned for the well fair of a child of any age, even if they were with a parent?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Keep in mind that this show was not available to anyone under 18 if they came without a parent. Therefore, this is not your typical Santa, Elves, and such.

"If parents felt ok with ____________________ that doesn't really concern me personally, I don't think the government needs to make parenting decisions for citizens."

Is there a "level" where one could fill in the blank and you would be concerned for the well fair of a child of any age, even if they were with a parent?
          I’m not okay with physical abuse of any kind, and I do want the “authorities” to step in. Beyond that, I believe it is up to the local community (which may mean local government) to set the standards for indecent public display for a minor.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I’m not okay with physical abuse of any kind, and I do want the “authorities” to step in. Beyond that, I believe it is up to the local community (which may mean local government) to set the standards for indecent public display for a minor.
            I would agree with this. However, I think mental abuse can be very damaging as well. I also have problems with minors making potentially irreversible life decisions that maybe should only be made once they are of an age to have had more time to weigh factors and have more life experiences. This would aid them in a decision that they would feel they were better equipped to make and be responsible for making, right or wrong for them in the future.

Comment

I would agree with this. However, I think mental abuse can be very damaging as well. I also have problems with minors making potentially irreversible life decisions that maybe should only be made once they are of an age to have had more time to weigh factors and have more life experiences. This would aid them in a decision that they would feel they were better equipped to make and be responsible for making, right or wrong for them in the future.
              I’m not exactly sure what you’re alluding to here. What I will say is that minors should be protected from making life changing decisions. As to mental abuse, I don’t want the government deciding what is or is not mental abuse. Neglect…that’s something the courts can decide.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Yeah, I think most of us would agree that child endangerment is a redline. Obviously there's probably some disagreement where that line is drawn. As for the topic at hand, I don't think a Christmas drag show would be considered child endangerment unless you're wanting to shelter your child from knowing that the LGBTQ community exists.

I'm still not entirely sure what DeSantis is trying to investigate them for. My feeling is it's a baseless effort to look strong in the "culture war" to move to Trump's right for the election.

Comment

Yeah, I think most of us would agree that child endangerment is a redline. Obviously there's probably some disagreement where that line is drawn. As for the topic at hand, I don't think a Christmas drag show would be considered child endangerment unless you're wanting to shelter your child from knowing that the LGBTQ community exists.

I'm still not entirely sure what DeSantis is trying to investigate them for. My feeling is it's a baseless effort to look strong in the "culture war" to move to Trump's right for the election.
                  You are not “endangering” a child by “sheltering” them from any culture.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

I have no problem with having a child know that the LGBTQ community exists and helping them to understand that we are all unique. Sometimes, the differences may be very minimal to a person. Other times, it may be more difficult to understand, but that doesn't make it wrong, just different.

As to this situation, if the "must be 18 to enter" is due to it being put on by the LGBTQ community, that is wrong. If it is due to "adult sexual content", then that is something different. The age of a child maybe should be considered as well.

Comment

Have you been to a Drag Show? I haven't. But I found examples on line. Some advocates say there is nothing wrong with it. Others disagree, and say it is Sexual Abuse, and nothing different from taking kids to a "Strip Show".

I believe in parents raising their kids. Who can disagree with that? But is an X rated show ok for kids to attend? Can parents sometimes not have their child's best interests in mind? I mean, there are parents who have sold their kids into prostitution. That surely crosses the line.

Like I said, I've never been to a "drag show". This show that I am posting was advertised as "kid friendly". Is this type of activity ok for a child, pre-teen, or even a teen to see? In my opinion, I say NO. This is Only One Example, and there are lots of examples of harming children. Watch and see what you think. Parents bringing children or not.

Listen to the entire interview. Sara Gonzales who has investigated this phenomenon, is interviewed on "Drag Show" content. I'm not sure what the solution is, but this is not appropriate, whether parents say it is or not. Nudity, Sexually explicit, body thrusting, etc. whether by reindeer, elves, Santa Claus or not, and whether parents approve, is inappropriate.

Like me, you may be unaware of these activities, but these parents say it is ok. I wouldn't want the kids of these parents attending school beside my children, and giving their perspectives on sexual activities (like they really understand). Tell me what you really think.

Last edited by Shockm; December 31, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Have you been to a Drag Show? I haven't. But I found examples on line. Some advocates say there is nothing wrong with it. Others disagree, and say it is Sexual Abuse, and nothing different from taking kids to a "Strip Show".

I believe in parents raising their kids. Who can disagree with that? But is an X rated show ok for kids to attend? Can parents sometimes not have their child's best interests in mind? I mean, there are parents who have sold their kids into prostitution. That surely crosses the line.

Like I said, I've never been to a "drag show". This show that I am posting was advertised as "kid friendly". Is this type of activity ok for a child, pre-teen, or even a teen to see? In my opinion, I say NO. This is Only One Example, and there are lots of examples of harming children. Watch and see what you think. Parents bringing children or not.

Listen to the entire interview. Sara Gonzales who has investigated this phenomenon, is interviewed on "Drag Show" content. I'm not sure what the solution is, but this is not appropriate, whether parents say it is or not. Nudity, Sexually explicit, body thrusting, etc. whether by reindeer, elves, Santa Claus or not, and whether parents approve, is inappropriate.

Like me, you may be unaware of these activities, but these parents say it is ok. I wouldn't want the kids of these parents attending school beside my children, and giving their perspectives on sexual activities (like they really understand). Tell me what you really think.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1150317269097273
                        I went to a drag show about 20 years ago with some friends. Was it adult themed? You bet! Was there any nudity? No, there was zero nudity. This was at a gay club in KC that was 21 to enter and sold alcohol. It’s quite possible that the alcohol/nudity laws in effect made it such that there could be no nudity. I don’t know.

So, what was I exposed to? A six foot dude dressed in sparkly and feathery costume singing, dancing, and telling off color jokes. Think of a 1950’s live show that you would take your wife to with dancing girls, and a live orchestra, and a comedian. Only difference was instead of a suit, the MC wore the show girl costume.

Okay, so was this show appropriate for children? I would say no. Some sane people disagree with me on this, just as they disagree with my desire to possess an AR-15. I don’t want people to ban my guns, and I want to return that right by not banning something they find important (even if I disagree with them and can’t understand where they are coming from). But children do not have legal agency. They don’t have agency to possess a gun nor do they have agency to determine what content to absorb. So what should be done? There should be a CLEAR (and I can’t express this enough) LOCAL standard. It should state what cannot be seen and what cannot be said in the presence of minors.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1150317269097273
                          Not sure why you were quoting me. I was simply asking questions to the poster I was quoting.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I went to a drag show about 20 years ago with some friends. Was it adult themed? You bet! Was there any nudity? No, there was zero nudity. This was at a gay club in KC that was 21 to enter and sold alcohol. It’s quite possible that the alcohol/nudity laws in effect made it such that there could be no nudity. I don’t know.

So, what was I exposed to? A six foot dude dressed in sparkly and feathery costume singing, dancing, and telling off color jokes. Think of a 1950’s live show that you would take your wife to with dancing girls, and a live orchestra, and a comedian. Only difference was instead of a suit, the MC wore the show girl costume.

Okay, so was this show appropriate for children? I would say no. Some sane people disagree with me on this, just as they disagree with my desire to possess an AR-15. I don’t want people to ban my guns, and I want to return that right by not banning something they find important (even if I disagree with them and can’t understand where they are coming from). But children do not have legal agency. They don’t have agency to possess a gun nor do they have agency to determine what content to absorb. So what should be done? There should be a CLEAR (and I can’t express this enough) LOCAL standard. It should state what cannot be seen and what cannot be said in the presence of minors.
                            This was worse than what you described. This show said it was family friendly just like a Disney show, according to one of the parents. I’ve been to Disney World and that was nothing like this show. Sex is for adults and it is illegal for minors.

According to Sara Gonzales, there are laws on the books. I guess the LGBTQ agenda is to hyper sexualize our children, and I perhaps some parents (at least the parents who were asked questions here were) turn a blind eye to the harm they cause. I have no problem if the government regulates “XXX” Sex rated shows and minors attending them, and taking parents who violate laws to family court. And I hope that the 11 year old boy who attends this activity with his mother doesn’t sexualize your daughter because he wants to have sex, and isn’t mature enough to handle it.

Comment

Not sure why you were quoting me. I was simply asking questions to the poster I was quoting.
                              Sorry. I misunderstood, and thought you said you didn’t have a problem with kids being taught to understand that LGBTQ are different by attending a show. LGBTQ agenda is to shame anyone who says that this kind of a show is wrong for children who shouldn’t be allowed to attend

So what’s your opinion, now that you know more?

Comment

Sorry. I misunderstood, and thought you said you didn’t have a problem with kids being taught to understand that LGBTQ are different by attending a show. LGBTQ agenda is to shame anyone who says that this kind of a show is wrong for children who shouldn’t be allowed to attend

So what’s your opinion, now that you know more?
                                In a different post, I said: I have no problem with having a child know that the LGBTQ community exists and helping them to understand that we are all unique. Sometimes, the differences may be very minimal to a person. Other times, it may be more difficult to understand, but that doesn't make it wrong, just different. Nothing about drag shows in that thought.

Another part of that post I said: As to this situation (that particular drag show), if the "must be 18 to enter" is due to it being put on by the LGBTQ community, that is wrong. If it is due to "adult sexual content", then that is something different. The age of a child maybe should be considered as well.

That means, I'm making the assumption the show was rated 18 and over because of its content, not because it is put on by the LGBTQ community alone. If all LGBTQ shows have actual "adult sexual content", then all should be 18 and over.

Comment

Working...
                                X