Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pleasure.

Animalympics holds a special place in my heart. Appealing to all ages, it reminds me that the joys of childhood can be brought back at anytime.

That will always be funny and I like to plug it because it goes to show that you don't have to scream obscenities to be funny.

Comment

WuDrWu,

That's precisely why I love Bill Cosby's comedy.
      But sometimes I'm in the mood for George Carlin. :)

My Olympic question for today is...how many people in here think there will be a new judging system in place, AGAIN in gymnastics, for the next Olympics? There were major issues with this latest new one. :roll:
      "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by shockandawe08

My Olympic question for today is...how many people in here think there will be a new judging system in place, AGAIN in gymnastics, for the next Olympics? There were major issues with this latest new one. :roll:
        Unfortunately when it comes to judging nobody will ever get it right.

Comment

You mean they finally tried to fix it? And it didn't work?

If the answer to the second question is no it wouldn't surprise me. But if they really did take action to fix it I'm shocked!!!
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I saw they are getting rid of baseball and softball from the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
              I saw they are getting rid of baseball and softball from the olympics.
              They're tired of the Americans dominating.

I guess we'll just have to create a Handball Dream Team.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Sub,

Yes, they actually did TRY to fix it. I know, I was shocked too. And it may have worked if they had had judges who actually knew what to look for. At least three of them were from countries that have never even had an Olympic Champion in gymnastics...EVER! Australia is one and their marks, in particular, hurt the U.S. more than anyone's. Perhaps a payback for our swimming accomplishments? I'm kidding...I hope.

Oh, and I'm pretty mad about the exclusion of softball and baseball in the Olympics, too. At least for the next eight years. :-x
                I guess diving should go next, since China dominated that. :roll:
                "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

The IOC is now investigatiing the ages of the female Chinese gymnasts (something a lot of us have questioned) because, allegedly, documents have surfaced with proof that at least three are underage. A gymnast must be 16 in the YEAR of the Olympics.
                  If these allegations are proven true, it would alter the medal count, as the Chinese women (?) took the gold in team competition and one of the gymnasts in question was awarded gold over a U.S. gymnast in a tiebreaker due to her higher execution score (or start value or something???).
                  I'm going to reserve judgment for now. I certainly don't like the idea that our gymnasts may have been beaten by much younger girls! :(
                  I understand the desire to clean up before company comes and show only your best, but let's not get carried away. Too many things in these Olympics have been proven to be staged - I can think of at least four examples. I don't like it one bit. :-x

Comment

I'm quite upset that baseball and softball are no longer in the olympics, that's a big reason why i watched. I must admit i didn't watch the olympics much at all this year, it just didn't interest me. That being said, I do wish the olympics was held every 2 years instead of every 4.

Comment

well in a way they are every 2 years but I know what you are saying.

I wish they would continue baseball but as well But atleast hopefully the WBC promotes more and can pick it up.

Comment

Sometimes it pays to be a night owl...

Three words for the men's U.S. basketball team - Whoa! Wow! Whew!

My favorite quote of the Olympics: "It's not about the name on the back of the jersey; it's about the three letters on the front." - D. Wade

Why can't every team have this mindset?

And kudos to U.S. women's basketball player, Lisa Leslie, for being the only consecutive 4-time Olympic gold medalist, at age 36. You go, girl!

Comment

Wade was pretty darned good last night. I still find it tough to really get behind the basketball team.....I do think they deserved the gold but I'm not going to sit here and applaud their heart and effort as if they climbed Everest.

You want a feel good story, watch the men's volleyball final today.

Wow, wow, wow.

And did anyone see the Cuban martial arts guy kick the judge for ruling against him? I thought there was going to be the most massive beat down in the history of sports....uncalled for doesn't even begin to describe it.

I would guess the young man will be banned for life....but since he's from Cuba it really isn't that big a deal....he's already punished for life.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                            Wade was pretty darned good last night. I still find it tough to really get behind the basketball team.....I do think they deserved the gold but I'm not going to sit here and applaud their heart and effort as if they climbed Everest.

You want a feel good story, watch the men's volleyball final today.

Wow, wow, wow.
                            When was it? I couldn't sleep and watched part of the basketball game. But never saw when the other stuff was on.

And did anyone see the Cuban martial arts guy kick the judge for ruling against him? I thought there was going to be the most massive beat down in the history of sports....uncalled for doesn't even begin to describe it.

I would guess the young man will be banned for life....but since he's from Cuba it really isn't that big a deal....he's already punished for life.
                            He tried the old roundhouse on him. Wow!

And on the baseball and softball going away. I don't know why softball is. It isn't a professional sport really is it?

But baseball doesn't ever have the best players the country has to offer because MLB is too frickin greedy and doesn't want to stop for a couple of weeks. The US will win with minor leaguers. Maybe they should just go back to the world baseball classic after the MLB season is over. Or in the early Spring.

Comment

WuDrWu,

Believe me, I wasn't overly impressed by the U.S. team. I don't even watch Pro Basketball. The WHOA was because I couldn't believe we had already beaten Spain by 37 points; The WOW had to do with Spain's Navarro and the fact that they came within 2 points late in the third quarter; The WHEW, I believe, is self-explanatory. :whistle:

But, I did like what Wade said and if that had been applied to past teams, we probably wouldn't have faced an eight-year drought.

Regarding the Cuba martial arts incident, he was disqualified for taking too long for a medical timeout, then miraculously springs to his feet and kicks the ref? Does that about cover it? :roll:
                              The World Taekwondo Federation banned him and his coach for life. I find the intials of the federation ironic.

Comment

this was the best basketball team since the 92 team.

Finally we take whats rightfully ours in the basketball world.

Comment

Working...
                                X