2017 KC Royals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 KC Royals

The season is almost half over, but this is really the first time to have any reasonable optimism for the Royals. I'm not sure they can overcome the anemic offensive production of Gordon, Escobar and Moss, but they are playing well and have a winning record against the BoSox, Indians and Astros.

If Soler can come up and hit like he's capable, Gordon push his avg toward 225 and Escobar do anything more at the plate I think they can compete for the Central or at least a wildcard.

The bullpen is holding it's own and the starting rotation has been decent, even with Duffy and Karns out. Vargas is a Cy Young candidate at this point (whoda thunk it?). Hammels is pitching better since a mechanical tweak.

I know this shouldn't matter, but I would really like to see Moose break Balboni's team HR record. It's kind of pathetic that 36 has lasted so long.

Balboni record absolutely must fall. So depressing. I think the team has performed in exactly the worst way possible. They haven't been strong enough to really prove they are contenders that it becomes necessary/worth it to go for it and become "buyers"(not sure with what assets, but they could at least try). But also not bad enough to convince Dayton to trade off a couple of these expiring contracts(ESPECIALLY Hosmer and Vargas). So basically the Royals are in an awkward holding pattern. Regardless this offseason I would like to retain Moose. Otherwise I would like to see Hosmer traded(he's not going to re-sign here or he will get vastly overpaid). Cain would be decent to keep but not sure we can afford what he will get.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
      Balboni record absolutely must fall. So depressing. I think the team has performed in exactly the worst way possible. They haven't been strong enough to really prove they are contenders that it becomes necessary/worth it to go for it and become "buyers"(not sure with what assets, but they could at least try). But also not bad enough to convince Dayton to trade off a couple of these expiring contracts(ESPECIALLY Hosmer and Vargas). So basically the Royals are in an awkward holding pattern. Regardless this offseason I would like to retain Moose. Otherwise I would like to see Hosmer traded(he's not going to re-sign here or he will get vastly overpaid). Cain would be decent to keep but not sure we can afford what he will get.
      I agree with wanting to keep Moose. The thing is, he has MUCH more trade value than Hosmer due to their relative positions. Not many teams looking for a high-average, mediocre-power first baseman as 2-month rental. And they aren't likely to offer much if the acquiring team's plan is to DH him.

The next five+ weeks are pivotal with regard to both the near and long-term future of the franchise. Moore does not have an enviable job!

Comment

Anyone going to Shocker Night at the K?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I agree with wanting to keep Moose. The thing is, he has MUCH more trade value than Hosmer due to their relative positions. Not many teams looking for a high-average, mediocre-power first baseman as 2-month rental. And they aren't likely to offer much if the acquiring team's plan is to DH him.

The next five+ weeks are pivotal with regard to both the near and long-term future of the franchise. Moore does not have an enviable job!
          Agreed... Sadly Hosmer doesn't have much value. I think his defense is really over-rated and he's roughly league average hitter for a first baseman. There are 3 options go all in on a WS this year(I think a mistake), trade some expiring contracts to fill in the upper levels of the minors to recontend in a couple years with Duffy and Salvy still under contract, or go full fire sale and dump all exprings in order to re-develop the farm system. 2 would be optimal but not sure we can get enough return with what we have to re-contend in 2 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            Not this year. We did go to the previous three.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
              Agreed... Sadly Hosmer doesn't have much value. I think his defense is really over-rated and he's roughly league average hitter for a first baseman. There are 3 options go all in on a WS this year(I think a mistake), trade some expiring contracts to fill in the upper levels of the minors to recontend in a couple years with Duffy and Salvy still under contract, or go full fire sale and dump all exprings in order to re-develop the farm system. 2 would be optimal but not sure we can get enough return with what we have to re-contend in 2 years or so.
              I think a fourth option is to stay the course, see how far the current core can go this year, then extend qualifying offers in hope to get some compensation picks.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                I think a fourth option is to stay the course, see how far the current core can go this year, then extend qualifying offers in hope to get some compensation picks.
                It's a possible option, but less confident in this as I would in years past due to the structural changes to compensatory picks. Also someone like Vargas would probably accept the Q/O and he's never been as good as he is this year plus he's 34, I don't expect this performance duplicated.

Comment

It's definitely risky.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Not sure yet. We have gone the last two years. Great event, and great hat!

Comment

Where does everyone see the Royals now? Are we buyers? Sellers? Neither? I am of the opinion that we are probably going to stand pat as long as they continue to play the type of baseball they have been lately.

June has been a great month. We have dug out of the hole that was April and are now back in the hunt both for the division and the wildcard. I think we would make a move to acquire a bat or back of the bullpen arm, but I dont see that we have enough to offer without completely depleting our farm system. And make no mistake, the Royals will be in major rebuild mode after this season, no matter the outcome. So do we scuttle our last chance at a playoff run for a while to replenish our farm system, or do we go for broke?

I like this team, they are mostly home grown and they are winners together. I wouldnt trade away the future, ala 2015 (it was worth it!), but as long as we are in contention, i would roll with what we have and not be sellers either. This is a special core group of players. I say let them run and see what happens.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                        Where does everyone see the Royals now? Are we buyers? Sellers? Neither? I am of the opinion that we are probably going to stand pat as long as they continue to play the type of baseball they have been lately.

June has been a great month. We have dug out of the hole that was April and are now back in the hunt both for the division and the wildcard. I think we would make a move to acquire a bat or back of the bullpen arm, but I dont see that we have enough to offer without completely depleting our farm system. And make no mistake, the Royals will be in major rebuild mode after this season, no matter the outcome. So do we scuttle our last chance at a playoff run for a while to replenish our farm system, or do we go for broke?

I like this team, they are mostly home grown and they are winners together. I wouldnt trade away the future, ala 2015 (it was worth it!), but as long as we are in contention, i would roll with what we have and not be sellers either. This is a special core group of players. I say let them run and see what happens.
                        The fundamental problem I'm having with this team is that I don't seeing the winning/making the WS as is. Vargas will regress a bit but still should be good, Duffy is good, but the rest of the rotation is pretty meh. We are probably neither but I think that is really the worst path.

Comment

I feel like the offence will be decent the rest of the way as long as Dayton sees the light soon and DFAs Brandon Moss. Esky is hitting now and Gordon is at least providing defensive value.

The pitching is what has me worried, even with Duffy coming back I don't feel like we have enough to compete for the division right now.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                            I feel like the offence will be decent the rest of the way as long as Dayton sees the light soon and DFAs Brandon Moss. Esky is hitting now and Gordon is at least providing defensive value.

The pitching is what has me worried, even with Duffy coming back I don't feel like we have enough to compete for the division right now.
                            Speaking of pitching, Junis and KC are down 0-3 before recording an out.

Comment

Fulmer has pitched 7 innings for Detroit and only thrown 67 pitches, 51 for strikes. By my count Royal hitters have watched 9 first-pitch strikes. Either Fulmer really has it going on or there is a wide strike zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X