Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    The debate is pointless. Those that want "assault rifles" banned, want them banned. It doesn't matter that these weapons are actually responsible for only a miniscule amount of violence. Those people want them banned. Documenting numbers is pointless. These people don't even understand the logic from the other side. And I don't blame them, their stance is based on emotion.

That said, the real reason these weapons are targeted isn't because of the mass shootings, it's because it is the easiest starting point to get all guns banned. Not many people own them, so many gun enthusiasts could be swayed to support banning the other guy's gun. Moreover, these guns look menacing. The look, and how they are described, puts fear in people. Fear, rationale or not, is a great motivator.

The problem is, when you get these "assault rifles" banned, you've solved nothing. There are many other guns that can do the same job, even better. And when the body count doesn't drop, it's time to move to the next round of guns. And the next, and the next, until good old Red Ryder is pulled from the shelves.

Agendas don't stop, what is considered "reasonable" gun control today, will simply move from a "assault rifles" to all semis, then to semi handguns, then bolt action and then shotguns.
    You're overly condescending in this post. It's because the only way you can convince yourself you're right is by sticking your fingers in your ears and saying the other side is emotional.

I've admitted several times that the deaths achieved by assault rifles are relatively small. It's about proportions. How likely is the weapon to be used for an illicit purpose vs how important is the weapon for non-illicit purposes.

Your side is talking about the need to shoot back when the government comes for them... But yeah, I'm the emotional one.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      Much of the texts you site are part of the debate surrounding the Articles of Confederation prior to the writing of the Constitution. The 2nd Amendment was well crafted "well regulated militia" because there was a disagreement (imagine that lol) with some feeling that we (U.S.) needed a more powerful central government to fight against foreign states in the west (mostly Britain and France), and on our coast (as we know Britain attacked us in the War of 1812. With the Articles of Confederation, we were weak to withstand an attack. Surrounding these disagreements, the Shay's Rebellion was occurring because farmers didn't like being taxed for their goods, and they rose up with arms against state and local governments. Many were fearful that this problem could spread against the United States government. This is the history that surrounded the writing of the 2nd Amendment.

I don't think that all arms will or can be banned but their are some cities who are trying to limit arms. The question is whether this can be strengthened. The following article discusses another side about this issue. This issue is not settled and if Hillary Clinton wins, and selects the next Supreme Court justices, more bans could occur.

Have you read the 2008 Supreme Court decision that gives all Americans the right to own guns? Probably not. I hadn’t, until the other day, when I was stunned […]

I don't see the need for guns from your eyes but I don't know that limiting certain killer machines, will limit mass killings (I'm open to it where you are not). However, I do think that their could be some loop holes limited like gun show loopholes, no fly lists, and more accurate lists that limit people who should not buy guns. The authorities knew about Mateen but they didn't communicate with each other.
      What's a gunshow loophole? I've heard that before, but I don't understand how I can go to a gunshow and legally procure an otherwise illegal firearm.
      Last edited by wufan; June 18, 2016, 08:00 AM.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        You're overly condescending in this post. It's because the only way you can convince yourself you're right is by sticking your fingers in your ears and saying the other side is emotional.

I've admitted several times that the deaths achieved by assault rifles are relatively small. It's about proportions. How likely is the weapon to be used for an illicit purpose vs how important is the weapon for non-illicit purposes.

Your side is talking about the need to shoot back when the government comes for them... But yeah, I'm the emotional one.
        It's not about proportions because the fact is that 2% of all gun injuries are mass shootings. 0.5% of all gun injuries are mass shootings perpetrated by "assault rifles". 0.0001% of assault rifles are used in gun violence annually, the same as handguns, yet you only focus on mass shootings. Why would only focus on mass shootings? Because they are emotionally upsetting. If it was about proportions you would go after things that matter like the other 99.5% of gun deaths. The problem there is that you would then have to state the purpose that all guns must be banned, thereby relinquishing the argument that banning semi-auto rifles doesn't bother that many people.

The fact that you don't see an AR-15 as useful doesn't mean it's okay to proclaim it as banned. As an example, France banned (requires licensing and special authorization) all pump action shotguns as they were utilized in a higher percentage of robberies than rifles. Why would anyone need three shots to hit a bird right?
        Last edited by wufan; June 18, 2016, 08:04 AM.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• interesting website if you want some numbers: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

and Orlando mass shooting incident: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/incident/577157
          Last edited by shoxilla; June 18, 2016, 08:08 AM.
          For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
          - said no one ever...

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
            interesting website if you want some numbers: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
            Seems like there should be more focus on the 260 children murdered than the 141 mass killings. Don't people care about children anymore?

Or police involved situations, police killed 147 to perps killed 375. Not a ratio that makes me comfortable.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Looking at some of the data available in the link

in the 72-hour period, there have been 231 reported gun-violence incidents resulting in 61 dead and 112 injured. There were 7 incidents with 2 dead, 47 with 1 dead and 177 with zero dead. There was 1 incident with 3 injured, 10 with 2 injured, 89 with 1 injured and 131 with none injured. 85 of the 231 incidents had no deaths or injuries reported.

Texas had 9 killed in 15 incidents, Illinois 5 dead in 8 incidents -- all killed were in Chicago.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Much of the texts you site are part of the debate surrounding the Articles of Confederation prior to the writing of the Constitution.
                In my business if you want to understand why a rule (and amendments to the rules) you go back to the background and read why the authors proposed the rule (or change in rules) so you can understand the intent and how to comply with the rule. In this case, if you want to understand what the intent and why the 2nd amendment was proposed and passed - you study the framers discussion of said amendment. It is pretty clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Small vehicles contribute to higher than average death rates for collisions. I'm not saying we should ban all cars, but shouldn't we force people to buy safer cars?

I mean we're just talking about proportions and potentially saving lives right?
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

• Proportionately, almost all mass shootings include more than just "assault rifles" and large magazines. Mass shooters usually have and use a combination of firearms including handguns. That was the case in Orlando, Columbine, Sandy Hook and the Aurora movie theater. It was not the case in the Omaha Von Maur shooting. So, thinking proportionately, if we want to address the weapons used in mass shootings, we need to ban all weapons.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I saw that banning one type of gun is just the first step. I completely agree. It would be opening Pandora's box.

Just how does everyone see a gun roundup working out? That's what Hillary wants. If she is elected, we will start seeing the tyrannical government that many fear.

Comment

Working...
                      X