2016 Kansas City Royals discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Kansas City Royals discussion

The Star had a nice piece about Dayton Moore today.

Oh, and the Perfect Season is still intact!

The Royals looked good Sunday night, except for Joakim Soria. I will chalk his performance up to nerves about returning to KC.

Comment

On record that Soria is a terrible decision. They've hit on a lot of guys the last couple years, but I think this retread will hurt them big time.

Comment

@Cdizzle: I would be fine with a one yr deal. 3 years is too many. Dayton does seem to have a knack for finding guys with value left but he also seems to give them too many years (Guthrie, Vargas, etc)
        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          On record that Soria is a terrible decision. They've hit on a lot of guys the last couple years, but I think this retread will hurt them big time.
          I thought that exact thing when they first signed him. Very atypical Dayton Moore risk-taking.

I think they should have put Herrera into the 8th inning role and let Hochever have the 7th+ role (if he's on, let him go 2 innings).

But I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express ...
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Soria's production dropped off a few years back when he went on the record as saying he didn't want people using the "Mexicutioner" nickname anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
              Soria's production dropped off a few years back when he went on the record as saying he didn't want people using the "Mexicutioner" nickname anymore.
              I don't blame him. I have traveled to Mexico frequently and know quite a bit about the cartels. Associating yourself with cartels can get you killed down there. Many Narco Corrido bands have been shot up (and had band members killed) by glorifying the lifestyle of their 'favorite cartel'.

This link is a couple of years old, but it references a narco manta (message) posted in front of a pre-school in Cajeme, Sonora (Sonora borders on the state of Arizona for the most part).
              Borderland Beat   "THIS IS A MESSAGE FOR ALL THE GENTE NUEVA GROUP WORKING FOR THE SALAZAR. YOU BETTER LEAVE OBREGON OTHERWISE YOU WILL...

I know the name 'Mexicutioner' is generic, but all it has to do is piss off the right cartel member and him or his extended family could be at the end of some pretty serious death threats.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                I don't blame him. I have traveled to Mexico frequently and know quite a bit about the cartels. Associating yourself with cartels can get you killed down there. Many Narco Corrido bands have been shot up (and had band members killed) by glorifying the lifestyle of their 'favorite cartel'.

This link is a couple of years old, but it references a narco manta (message) posted in front of a pre-school in Cajeme, Sonora (Sonora borders on the state of Arizona for the most part).
                Borderland Beat   "THIS IS A MESSAGE FOR ALL THE GENTE NUEVA GROUP WORKING FOR THE SALAZAR. YOU BETTER LEAVE OBREGON OTHERWISE YOU WILL...

I know the name 'Mexicutioner' is generic, but all it has to do is piss off the right cartel member and him or his extended family could be at the end of some pretty serious death threats.
                You seriously believe that he asked people to stop using that name in order to save him and his families life?
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  You seriously believe that he asked people to stop using that name in order to save him and his families life?
                  Yes, it is not just possible but probable.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post

I guess so, but my post was meant as a joke. I actually lived in Nogales, Sonora for 3 years awhile back and have been back quite few times, so know about all that first hand. As for the reason Soria wanted to change his nickname, it was to stand against the drug violence in Mexico, not to hide from it. The mexicutioner tag is fairly common, isn't there some MMA fighter who goes by that nickname? I hope the drug cartels don't catch wind of that!

Comment

I just got Direct TV a few months ago. What do you have to do to get most if not all of the Royals games on Direct TV?

Channel 671 is FSKC but it appears as if very few of the games are scheduled to broadcast. Only 2 games a week seem to be scheduled up at this time.

Comment

just an FYI for cord cutters. If you can convince someone to let you use their password .... you can stream all games via the fox sports go app

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          I have extended family in Mexico. When we do discuss anything related to the cartels, it's usually in private. They are afraid to discuss things in public because they personally know people who have received death threats (to extort money, because they said the wrong thing and on and on).

You should feel very lucky living in a country where the judicial system can't be bought off easily. That is certainly not the case in Mexico. It has been widely speculated that Nieto (current president) has taken payoffs and there are a number of individuals (Humberto Moriera, ex-governor of Tamaulipas), most notably belonging to the PRI party who are on the cartel's payroll. If it hadn't been for Moriera raiding the treasury of Tamaulipas, he would be president of Mexico right now.

And not only Tamaulipas, there are a number of other states (Veracruz and Sinaloa to mention two) where the entire state government is on the cartel's payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                            I guess so, but my post was meant as a joke. I actually lived in Nogales, Sonora for 3 years awhile back and have been back quite few times, so know about all that first hand. As for the reason Soria wanted to change his nickname, it was to stand against the drug violence in Mexico, not to hide from it. The mexicutioner tag is fairly common, isn't there some MMA fighter who goes by that nickname? I hope the drug cartels don't catch wind of that!
                            How long ago? My parents live in the area (southern Pima County, Arizona) and I quit going across the border because it was getting too dangerous. It has leveled off some in Nogales, but they have flare-ups now and again. However, as we both know, there are state department advisories discouraging travel to Sonora (travel only when absolutely necessary, during the day and on toll roads).

And I think it's debatable (unless you have a quote from Soria) as to whether his intent was to avoid a problem or to make a stand. Either motivation would end up in the same result.

Comment

Kansas City Royals closer Joakim Soria wants to get rid of his nickname, the Mexicutioner

Comment

Working...
                              X