No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving Ice Storm 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun discussion! I have a JKU Moab. It comes with a rear locker (Rubi has a front and rear). It does not come with e-sway bar disconnects or the super low gear transfer case. It does come with creature comforts important to my family (power windows/mirrors, leather, navigation, DVD player, painted hardtop) and additional body armor (front steel winch ready bumper, rear steel bumper, steel skid-plates), upgraded A/T tires. The tires ARE light weight, but have Kevlar reinforced sidewalls. Some will disagree, but I have had extremely good luck with these in the flint hills. The sidewalls is literally scraped down to the Kevlar in some places. An entry level Rubi JKU costs $40K. A fully loaded costs $50K.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Fun discussion! I have a JKU Moab. It comes with a rear locker (Rubi has a front and rear). It does not come with e-sway bar disconnects or the super low gear transfer case. It does come with creature comforts important to my family (power windows/mirrors, leather, navigation, DVD player, painted hardtop) and additional body armor (front steel winch ready bumper, rear steel bumper, steel skid-plates), upgraded A/T tires. The tires ARE light weight, but have Kevlar reinforced sidewalls. Some will disagree, but I have had extremely good luck with these in the flint hills. The sidewalls is literally scraped down to the Kevlar in some places. An entry level Rubi JKU costs $40K. A fully loaded costs $50K.
      Hey, it's your money; do as you wish. This is all just car talk.

That said, I'm of the mind that a Wrangler doesn't need creature comforts outside of say the hardtop/doors, A/C, and a decent radio (make mine a manual in fact). Creature comforts are why Grand Cherokees exist (and a litany of other similar options). You're never going to make a Wrangler that comfortable for daily driving duty, as they're kind of terrible vehicles when it comes to any measurement of on-road ability/performance. And making one luxurious is about as close as you get to the automotive equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig, with all due respect to things that Wranglers are actually great at.

Living with one on a daily basis is another reason why a JWU doesn't sit in my garage (along with the fact that I would wear out a credit card really quick with modifications), but if yours in its iteration geeks you out then no harm, no foul. Hell of a lot better than a Camry or a Pilot or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Hey, it's your money; do as you wish. This is all just car talk.

That said, I'm of the mind that a Wrangler doesn't need creature comforts outside of say the hardtop/doors, A/C, and a decent radio (make mine a manual in fact). Creature comforts are why Grand Cherokees exist (and a litany of other similar options). You're never going to make a Wrangler that comfortable for daily driving duty, as they're kind of terrible vehicles when it comes to any measurement of on-road ability/performance. And making one luxurious is about as close as you get to the automotive equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig, with all due respect to things that Wranglers are actually great at.

Living with one on a daily basis is another reason why a JWU doesn't sit in my garage (along with the fact that I would wear out a credit card really quick with modifications), but if yours in its iteration geeks you out then no harm, no foul. Hell of a lot better than a Camry or a Pilot or whatever.
        A Wrangler is not a luxury vehicle, but we've been able to take ours on two family vacations (four passengers) that were over 2500 miles. The current JKU is two-three times as comfortable as the previous version and at least as comfortable to ride in as a 1980s model sedan. It certainly has compromises though. A Grand Cherokee, while a fine vehicle, will not do what a Wrangler will, and mine pulls double duty.

So, all of the above said, doesn't mean that I'm right and you're wrong, just that with certain compromises a convertible off-road machine can play double duty as a daily driver and family truckster for some people.
        Livin the dream

Comment

What is a JKU? JWU?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            What is a JKU? JWU?
            Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The "unlimited" just means the four door version. I'm just abbreviating Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as JWU; wufan is using generational nomenclature - the Wrangler generation is JK, the additional "U" stands for the same thing as just mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X