Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Now that Soccer 3G has been given carte blanche to run the program into the ground, he seems bound and determined to do it.

We look disorganized, disoriented, and disinterested in putting in the effort to compete at the international level.

All US Soccer cares about is money.
    Sigh.

I'll ask these questions because the Berhalter out crowd refuses to come to grips with the reality of our talent level.

How many of our players would even make a squad, let alone play, let alone start for Spain/Germany/France/England/Netherlands/Argentina/Brazil/Colombia? One, maybe two (Pulisic/Robinson)? None of them would start. And who is being used in inappropriate ways? Pretty much all of the players are playing the same position for the USMNT they play for their clubs.

I say that to illustrate that while our players are more talented overall than before, we're still nowhere near the talent levels of those countries I just mentioned. We're still behind the likes of Uruguay, Belgium, Italy as well.

It's not necessarily that Berhalter is some great coach, but he has DOMINATED teams in our region like no other coach before and Mexico in particular. That wasn't always the case. While he doesn't have elite wins, those can be fool's gold, especially in friendlies. Klinsmann beat the Dutch in Amsterdam in a friendly in 2015 for crying out loud. It didn't make the rest of his tenure good.

For those who want him out, how should his approach change tactically? If we want to keep matches closer, we probably have to go to a low block and play more defensive, gritty soccer. We can't play the same style as the elite soccer countries because our talent is not close to them. But if we got better results against good teams playing more defensive and cynical soccer and averaging 35% possession, people would still be upset. People also forget that we outplayed England at the World Cup.

John Strong (PBP announcer for FOX - will be doing the US games this summer for Copa America) was recently asked about the worst thing about American soccer. He said it was our inferiority complex and self-loathing. He's exactly right. We can't have anything nice, and given the way that our fanbase acts, maybe we don't deserve anything nice.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Regardless, it's going to be a really fun summer for soccer. Euros start on Friday, Copa America starts next Friday. Can't wait.

I'll plug, just like I did around the World Cup 2022, the Total Soccer Show podcast. Lots of good Xs and Os talk if you're into that and they do a great job of covering the USMNT. Right now, they're doing Euro previews and I imagine will do Copa America previews soon as well. Highly recommend.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• no

Comment

• Sigh.

Dont judge yourself by your accomplishments but by what you SHOULD have accomplished with your ability.

The US has dominated Concacaf, yes. But put those players on a field without a coach and they dominate Concacaf.

My reasons for wanting Soccer 3G out:

1. No organized system of attack

We don’t have a 9, 7, and Pulisic is barely an 11. Knocking the ball abound the back then play long and let their talent outperform the Concacaf defenders works fine in the Gold Cup. It doesn’t work well against the teams mentioned. But we should be better. Short quick passes with changes of depth making diagonal runs through the box and rotating back should be the norm for these guys. Confusion creates decisions and at full speed decisions by defenders cause opportunities.

2. No high press

We allow teams immediately out of pressure, sit back and wait for them to make a Concacaf mistake, then try to capitalize. IF our forward or winger does apply pressure (muscle memory from playing for a quality coach) they quickly realize there is no support and it was a wasted effort.

3. There is no beauty

They have no organization. Communication is limited as they don’t have a language to speak. There is no feeling as there is no urgency. There really isn’t any thought put into the process and it is almost the dumbest soccer a team can play.

I am in no way suggesting this team should win the World Cup, but even with our second 11 we should not lose a game to Columbia or anyone 5-1.

USA! USA! USA!

Comment

• Dude singing the Star Spangled Banner ... OMG. NOT the voice I expected to hear from looking at him, but he was really good.

Our uniforms?

U! G! L! Y! We ain't got no alibi!
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• The US has had two NICE attacks on goal and Brazil just had one too. Only 7 min in. Gonna be fun!

Comment

2. No high press

We allow teams immediately out of pressure, sit back and wait for them to make a Concacaf mistake, then try to capitalize. IF our forward or winger does apply pressure (muscle memory from playing for a quality coach) they quickly realize there is no support and it was a wasted effort.
                I didn't watch the Colombia match, but so far we have definitely been high pressing in this one. And so is Brasil.

Edit: Brasil's is more intense and coordinated than ours for sure.

Comment

• This game could end up being 4 to 3 or something, at this rate.

Comment

• Well. Now looking like it will be 0-4. Eesh.

Comment

• Thats in the box. Should be a PK for USA. But it wont be.

Comment

• This free kick is in too close. Very difficult to score when you are in this close. The sight lines are too congested.

Comment

• OMG OMG OMG WE SCORED ON IT!!!!!

Comment

• 1-1!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              OMG OMG OMG WE SCORED ON IT!!!!!
                              Gotta trust your wall. Allison caught leaning towards left. Puli made him pay.

Comment

Gotta trust your wall. Allison caught leaning towards left. Puli made him pay.
                                Very difficult in that close, but lady luck shined down on Pulisic's well struck ball!

Comment

Working...
                                X