No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate soccer, but love sports. I will probably make the trip to Arrowhead to watch that other football. This is a big time get for KC.
    Go Shocks!

Comment

• CONCACAF U-20 is hitting the home stretch in Nicaragua.

If you are interested, yesterday's round of 16 is being replayed on FS2 right now. The first half just ended and on the last effort, the US scored a brilliant goal with a great run from Diego Luna who crossed late and found a cutting Quinn Sullivan who headed it home for a 1-0 halftime lead.

Both Luna and Sullivan could be USMNT members for years to come imho. 2nd half is probably worth tuning in (US wins 5-0 and advances to the quarters either Tuesday or Wednesday).

Comment

• In case you're one of the few NOT watching, El Salvador and The Dominican Republic are in a slugfest, 4-4 just 60 minutes in.

Comment

• The USA defeated The Dominican Republic 6-0 last night in the finals.

They qualified for next year's U20 World Cup and the next Olympics on the way.

Comment

• I believe there are a couple players who chose Mexico who will regret the decision not to join Capt America!

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              I believe there are a couple players who chose Mexico who will regret the decision not to join Capt America!
              They are joining the Frito Bandito.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• AOL - FC Wichita's 12-year-old girls youth soccer team wins prestigious US Cup championship

I know this thread has been more focused on the national team, but it does say general discussion.

FC Wichita’s 12-year-old youth girls soccer team, made up of players from all over the Wichita metropolitan area, won the U.S. Cup championship for their age division on Saturday in Blaine, Minn.

The U.S. Cup is the largest youth soccer tournament in North America and winning the 11-on-11 gold division is one of the most prestigious titles that can be attained for a youth team. FC Wichita 10G is the first girls team in the organization’s history to win a U.S. Cup title.

The team consists of Addie Bloomquist (Goddard), Adrie Bootsma (McAuliffe), Macie Bystrek (Andover), Riley Curfman (Mayberry), Regan Daugherty (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton), Tenzlee Finkeldei (Eisenhower), Paisley Florio (Maize South), Hope Garner (Derby), Skylar Johnson (Maize South), Kimberly Johnston (Brooks), Charley Kerschen (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton), Delia Lyddane (Andover Central), Kylie Meier (Andover), Emma Mosley (Trinity) and Alexa Rapp (Maize South).
                Quite the accomplishment for these young ladies.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

They are joining the Frito Bandito.

Probably repeating myself, but after watching that commercial, I stumbled across this absolute gem of political incorrectness. The comments are outstanding as well.

Comment

• No gold neither? How 'bout some lead?

Pure genius.

Comment

• City @ Newcastle has been brilliant through the first 45 minutes. City started strong but Newcastle asked all the questions during the last 25 minutes or so and lead 2-1 at halftime. It's been an entertaining start to the Premiership. Leeds hammering Chelsea 3-0 earlier today, Brentford beating Man U last week....strong stuff.

Comment

• Meanwhile Kung Wu got his ass kicked by college players tonight at Stryker. Yes, I laced up the boots again. My gosh.
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Josh Sargent got two goals for Norwich City. He now has 3 goals in two games in the Championship (English second division) after moving to a number 9 position due to another player's injury. The number 9 position is more natural than where he was playing before, as a winger, so we'll see what happens when that player returns.

Gio Reyna played 20ish minutes for Dortmund, who had a two-goal lead in the 89th minute (!!!) but Werder Bremen scored three goals in succession to win at Dortmund. Unreal. In my opinion, he has the highest ceiling of any US player - just watch his run against Mexico at the Azteca.

Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams continue to play well for Leeds, who sits at third in the table with 7 points. Unlikely it will stay that way, but Leeds play a pressing style that can give teams fits. Their coach, Jesse Marsch, is American as well.

Pulisic did not start for Chelsea, was brought on in the second half, and will likely be at a different club before the end of the transfer window. That will be good for both him and the USMNT.

The biggest things to watch for in the lead-up to the World Cup are

Which three CF/STs we will take to the World Cup and who will start - this is likely between Jesus Ferreira, Josh Sargent, Brandon Vasquez (who has not even played a senior match for the US), and Jordan Pefok for three spots.
                          Which three GKs we will take to the World Cup and who will start - likely between Matt Turner and Zack Steffen to start (I would give the nod to Turner), with Sean Johnson and Ethan Horvath competing for the final spot.
                          There are 26 spots to be filled out, which means 3 GKs + 10 starting field players + 13 backup field players...our starting lineup is likely set, but who fills out those remaining 5-10 spots will be something to watch for. Just hope for no injuries.

If you want a podcast to listen to as the World Cup gets closer, here's my recommendation. The State of the Union podcast with Alexi Lalas. I like Alexi, but he is a contrarian and argumentative at times. Still a great podcast to listen to as you're trying to get the rundown of US activity along with general world soccer news as well.

U.S. Soccer legend Alexi Lalas discusses the biggest stories in the world of soccer. Join Alexi and soccer guru David Mosse, as they break down the USMNT, USWNT, MLS, Bundesliga, Premier League, World Cup & everything in between. Follow Alexi Lalas' State of the Union podcast @SOTUWithAlexi on all
                          Last edited by Kel Varnsen; August 25, 2022, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Man, Josh Sargent made a meal out of Millwall. Norwich was in the Premier recently, no?

Thanks for the link to the podcast!

Comment

• US kits have been revealed for the World Cup. The reception is...not great. Just look at the replies to this and any other tweet with the jerseys in them.

After having time to mull it over, I don't think the white kit is as bad as it's been made out to be. It's still not good, but the blue kit looks like a training kit. Not an actual uniform.

Something like these designs would be way better and more creative instead of the basic template that Nike uses, which they also did for the 2017-2018 years in the lead up to the WC. Every Nike team had identical templates at the WC in Russia.

Comment

• Those really aren't all that nice.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X