Exploding Prairie Dogs/ Ballistics thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20150722_143952.jpg
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      We've shot over 250 prairie dogs, gone through close to 1,000 rounds of ammo. The boys got bored with long range shooting and went plinking with 22's. You really lose perspective of how big this earth is until you get out to where the land is open and people are scarce.
      And men are men and sheep are scared, very scared.
      An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

20150722_101840.jpg

Okay, now for some gore. My son shot this prairie dog with a Hornaday V-Max. It was inside 200 yards. The red mist must have been a five foot circle. It was so impressive, we stopped and went to view the carnage. All that was left was blood splatter on the hill, the guts in a neat pile and a few tufts of fur. The rest.... vapor.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

20150722_185950.jpg

Cows happen

Comment

Shooting is good, but it's getting hot out. We're going to take a break and look at the Niobrara River.

Comment

Shooting is good, but it's getting hot out. We're going to take a break and look at the Niobrara River.
              Shoot fish!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Getting any signal is rare. A really poor photo of the boys at sunset.
                20150723_205328.jpg

Comment

20150724_100644.jpg

Our little A Frame cottage.

Comment

20150723_144851.jpg

Niobrara River.

Comment

On the road, again!

Comment

I have consistent internet, now!

Comment

Recap: Nebraska is a boring state to traverse but the area in which we shot was gorgeous! The Niobrara is magnificent; it is hard to describe. Finding ranchers willing to let a bunch of strange city folks enter their property and shoot high power weapons is rare. But when you find one willing to give you a chance, you make the most of it. We closed every gate, cleaned up our messes, said please and thank you, kept safety first, and even helped round up a few stray cows. Yes, cows, not Steers. You do that, and we now have an open invitation to come back and free board in his A Frame guest house, too! We also met a couple other ranchers willing to let us shoot on their ground.

The shooting was incredible! This was land that had never been shot before. Thousands and thousands of prairie dogs. We spent a lot of time working with the boys, all and all, they did very well. We estimate 1,500 prairie dogs, shot, dismembered and vaporized. I got a kick out of the reaction the boys had when they saw their first red mist explosion. I was concerned that they would be tuned off, but each time, they laughed like I did. The prairie dogs that launched like a space shuttle brought pure joy to the boys!

On another note, when the boys got bored, which happens on 10 hour shoots, they took .22's and shot up this big ant hill. Amazingly, overnight, the ants would push the spent rounds back up to the surface, so my kids brought home a bunch of used .22 rounds. They loved the fact that they got to pee outside and not get in trouble. You have to love youth!

I ran out of ammo, that was 1,150 .22-250 rounds and over 3,000 .22's. El Guappo would live to use that on Trump!

Comment

We shot 45's, 9's, '223's and a 380. Then we shot the elk gun, a .300 win mag! That'll leave a mark!

Comment

Please tell me there is red mist involved

With their keen sense of smell, African giant pouched rats help detect landmines in Africa and Asia -- clearing land of dangerous unexploded ordnance and in turn saving lives

"HeroRATs detect land mines and save lives"

Comment

We shot 45's, 9's, '223's and a 380. Then we shot the elk gun, a .300 win mag! That'll leave a mark!
                                Are any of those barrel swaps on your Thompson, or all stand alone firearms?
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X